News Article: Hockeytown Endures - Wings Playoff Streak

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This week is Detroit week on Grantland, leading into the 30 for 30 on Thursday night on the Bad Boys.

In any event today Katie Baker had an article on the Wings playoff streak, thought I would share the link. As most have seen the big Babcock quote is actually how she signs off in terms of the young guys and where this organization is heading.

http://grantland.com/features/detroit-red-wings-playoff-streak/

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Good article.

I changed the thread title to reflect what it's about, though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This week is Detroit week on Grantland, leading into the 30 for 30 on Thursday night on the Bad Boys.

In any event today Katie Baker had an article on the Wings playoff streak, thought I would share the link. As most have seen the big Babcock quote is actually how she signs off in terms of the young guys and where this organization is heading.

http://grantland.com/features/detroit-red-wings-playoff-streak/

Screw the Pistons.. They should be doing the 30 for 30 on the Wings playoff streak.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/fan-steals-xbox-one-from-kid-but-classy-red-wings-make-it-right/

This is a cool little story too.... just another example how the organization is first class all the way around.

First class -- why?

I don't mean to sound like a bitter old man (I'm still in my 20's just for the record), but the guy paid for the seat. He has the right to show up or not.

Poor kid got to go to a Red Wings game... Plenty of parents can't afford that.

There's no honor in gifting the privileged.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
First class -- why?

I don't mean to sound like a bitter old man (I'm still in my 20's just for the record), but the guy paid for the seat. He has the right to show up or not.

Poor kid got to go to a Red Wings game... Plenty of parents can't afford that.

There's no honor in gifting the privileged.

I understand your point and I'm not a fan of people sitting in seats that aren't theirs but at the same time, that guy is pretty low to take the game from the kid. I think the point is...the organization saw a potentially bad situation and stepped up and tried to make it right. Even though the kid got the game taken from him, he probably left the rink with an overall good experience. I can't see how you find fault in that. Also, the fact that this family had tickets that weren't together for a nothing game tells me they probably aren't as well off as you think.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I understand your point and I'm not a fan of people sitting in seats that aren't theirs but at the same time, that guy is pretty low to take the game from the kid. I think the point is...the organization saw a potentially bad situation and stepped up and tried to make it right. Even though the kid got the game taken from him, he probably left the rink with an overall good experience. I can't see how you find fault in that. Also, the fact that this family had tickets that weren't together for a nothing game tells me they probably aren't as well off as you think.

This is a very good point.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I think its first class that the team made sure both parties went home happy, but I think the guy had every right to claim the prize that was rightfully his.

He paid for his ticket just like they did and without him generously not asking her to vacate his seat she and her kids wouldn't have been able to watch the game at all.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes

I don't begrudge the Wings for going out of their way to make a kid's day, but the tone of the article makes it a puff piece for the organization.

Some guy bought a seat and though he wasn't there he won a prize and wanted to claim it. A random kid was sitting there -- imo that doesn't make the ticket holder Scrooge McGrinch.

For all we know the ticket holder has a boy of his own who would love a game console. Or a nephew. Or a grandson.

The author could have presented it as more of a win-win without vilifying the ticket holder is all I'm getting at.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
I think its first class that the team made sure both parties went home happy, but I think the guy had every right to claim the prize that was rightfully his.

He paid for his ticket just like they did and without him generously not asking her to vacate his seat she and her kids wouldn't have been able to watch the game at all.

Your probably right... I guess I was just looking at it from my perspective that I'd rather the kid have it but the guy has every right as well. As you point out though, and my main point... the Wings people made sure both people went home happy mainly the kid. He probably was too young to understand why the prize was taken away but kudos to the Wings for making sure he had a good experience.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Screw the Pistons.. They should be doing the 30 for 30 on the Wings playoff streak.

I am quite surprised there has not been a film about the Red Wings. When the 30 for 30 series first kicked off it was a series about filmmakers telling stories of interest to them. I get the feeling ESPN is calling the shots now. Either way it's a fantastic series.

A film about the rivalry with Colorado would be superb. The film about the Bad Boys was top notch work.

Props to Grantland for celebrating Detroit. There was another Red Wings article as well. Have a go. More great reading.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/norris-division-red-wings-fights/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad