News Article: Hockey's Future Top 20 Prospects in 2016

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Remember those old number/letter grades? Oh man, I miss that. 7.5 B haha.

I will say that most of the prospects don't seem terribly overrated. Steve Santini and Reid Boucher probably should not have ben 7.5s, but the 'C's meant that it was a bit of a long shot anyway. It was a bad prospect pool that was mostly known to be a bad prospect pool.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I had such high hopes for Speers after he made the team for a few games. Dude just fell off a cliff.

Biggest blunder IMO was not giving up the Matteau pick in 2012. We could have ended up with a top 8-15 pick in 2014 (guys like Nylander, Ehlers, Fiala, Vrana, Larkin)

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
OGC.cf9c4fd14b9b6b76d1188d0501334683

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Remember those old number/letter grades? Oh man, I miss that. 7.5 B haha.

I will say that most of the prospects don't seem terribly overrated. Steve Santini and Reid Boucher probably should not have ben 7.5s, but the 'C's meant that it was a bit of a long shot anyway. It was a bad prospect pool that was mostly known to be a bad prospect pool.

Reid Boucher gets talked about around here like he is some massive bust, but he very narrowly missed being an NHLer and is still probably one of the top 10 goalscorers outside the NHL.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
really just honestly shows you how much of a crap shoot the draft is and how much junk you can draft even in the early rounds.
Our track record was brutal thanks to Lou keeping Conte around for so long. Still thankful for Conte for building us a powerhouse team for a long stretch though.

Reactions: aboriginal

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I have always wondered (still do) are we horrible at developing, or is it not having the right coach at the time?

Our organization has been atrocious at scouting/development since the 04 Lockout. That’s why I never understood all the vitriol DeBoer and Hynes got, no coach would win with those rosters. It’s getting better(picking high every year will eventually lead to that) but I’m still not sold we have anything to get too excited over.

Reactions: mdj12784

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Boucher...I'm really hoping Holtz is not Boucher 2.0: a lethal scorer everywhere...except the NHL. He was a PPG player in the KHL and I think I read he was going to be back in the NHL next year.

Reactions: mdj12784

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
5 legit NHL players on this list. This is just brutal

Actually it's not as brutal as it seems. Depending on the success of the NHL parent club that was usually about average. If you look at some clubs, particularly before the draft was reduced to seven rounds, many "prospects" which had little if any chance of ever being signed.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Boucher...I'm really hoping Holtz is not Boucher 2.0: a lethal scorer everywhere...except the NHL. He was a PPG player in the KHL and I think I read he was going to be back in the NHL next year.
Boucher either needs better skating or to become more adept at finding open ice to make it in the NHL.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I mean... Zacha, Blackwood, Coleman, Wood, Kerfoot. *shrugs* honestly, it could be worse.

We can just look at some other teams' articles for comparison. I chose Carolina which has a prospect pipeline everyone salivates over:

Breakthrough campaigns propel Carolina Hurricanes prospects up the top 20 - Hockey's Future
(published april 4 2016)

Wallmark, Foegele, Nicolas Roy, Di Giuseppe, Pesce, Nedeljkovic, Fleury, Aho, Slavin

So Carolina has more NHLers, and more high end NHLers, in particular the Aho/Slavin picks way ahead of expected value given the draft capital spent. Carolina probably has a better list of these than most teams in retropsect but I wouldn't be surprised if Devils are bottom 5, in particular because of the Zacha pick miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad