Hockey players quivalent to Ichiro

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
I thought this would be an interesting topic, now that he is probably going to retire in a year or two.

Ichiro:

1: First ballot hall of famer
2: Has lead the league in certain categories for consecutive years (minor or not).
3: Has won several awards, including one MVP (=Hart) and player's choice MVP (=Pearson?).
4: Widely known for being one of the most exciting players of his generation. He is usually Top 5-ish in the decade that he has played for.
5: Elite/Very good offense/defense/speed
6: A lot of controversy and "what-if" factors. Probably the most unique player in MLB history.
7: Has won international competition twice (WBC)
8: Won league championship once (back in Japan), but was never really known as a "winner".
9: foreign player/pioneer
10: Has some flare inside him...but also known for being "selfish" (don't know why).
11: Pretty insane longevity, considering the fact that his statistics hasn't fallen off for before being traded, which was his 18th professional season.)

Obviously not all of them are going to fit (unless anyone can find one), but here are several players that I came up with...

1: Hasek (dominated two leagues...Czech and NHL. Lots of "what-if", and they both probably would be rated higher if they have come to North America earlier)
2: Fedorov (elite at offense/defense/speed, with some off ice/motivation issues here and there)
3: Forsberg (not much of a scorer but still elite at all three categories. Has the same type of flare but with less emotions and physicality)
4: Stastny (pioneer.pretty dominant scorer during his hey-days)
5: Bure (in terms of excitement...with offense and defense)

Who do u think is the equivalent of Ichiro in the history of hockey?
I think Hasek is pretty similar, excluding the fact that he was way more highly regarded and is a goaltender.
Fedorov and Forsberg are pretty similar to Ichiro I think...ranking around 60-90-ish all time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How come?

Not that I disagree or anything, but I really don't see that much resemblance other than uniqueness and maybe the age (as in late-bloomer, which he never was because he was already a super star in Japan at the age of 20).

I guess otherwise, you'd have to look at some of the Russians who came over once they were allowed to.

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
I guess otherwise, you'd have to look at some of the Russians who came over once they were allowed to.

But was there any European who had as much impact/hardware as Ichiro did?

Fedorov/Forsberg?

I guess Hasek and Thomas are "similar"...but Thomas's career was kind of short (although his peak was Very very high), while Ichiro is almost polar opposite.

Hmm...hard. If Thomas had a longer career, I guess there would be a strong case.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But was there any European who had as much impact/hardware as Ichiro did?

Fedorov/Forsberg?

I guess Hasek and Thomas are "similar"...but Thomas's career was kind of short (although his peak was Very very high), while Ichiro is almost polar opposite.

Hmm...hard. If Thomas had a longer career, I guess there would be a strong case.

Those guys didn't spend most of their prime not in the NHL though. Both were 21 when they came over.

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
Those guys didn't spend most of their prime not in the NHL though. Both were 21 when they came over.

I guess...

Guys like Hasek and Stastny fit, but Stastny doesn't have enough hardwares, and is no where "complete"...

Selanne? 60-90ish ranked player, who had an insane rookie season, and played well (excluding the few years in San Jose and Colorado) throughout his career. Had longevity too.

Kariya would have been perfect...if he was healthy and more complete.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I never saw stastny in his prime but I think he comes closest.

1239 points in 977 games. That's dominant no matter what era we are talking about IMO.

I think he was still in his mid 20s when he came over so he wasn't too late, but he ripped it up right away with 109 points in 77 games.

Had he played in a different market for his prime years, maybe his numbers are even better and he gets some more recognition too?

He was a crazy skilled player but also strong physically too from the little I have seen of him... If guess in that sense, he is not similar to ichiro.

Some what ifs...

What if fetisov came over earlier and was on a better team?

What if tretiak was able to come over when Montreal offered him a deal, although not sure what would happen with dryden already there.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Current players? Some combination of Hossa and the Sedins maybe?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
How come?

Not that I disagree or anything, but I really don't see that much resemblance other than uniqueness and maybe the age (as in late-bloomer, which he never was because he was already a super star in Japan at the age of 20).

Thomas was a star in Europe before returning to the States, similar to how you described Ichiro.

1997-1998
SM-liiga All-Star Team
SM-liiga Best GAA (1.62)
SM-liiga Best Goaltender (Urpo Ylönen Award)
SM-liiga Best SVS% (.947)
SM-liiga Champion

1998-1999
SM-liiga Silver Medal

2000-2001
Elitserien All-Star Game
SHL Best SVS%

2001-2002
SM-liiga Player of the Month (January)

2003-2004
AHL Player of the Week (Mar. 21)

2004-2005 SM-liiga Best GAA (1.58)
SM-liiga Best Player of Regular Season (Lasse Oksanen Award)
SM-liiga Best SVS% (.946)
SM-liiga Golden Helmet
SM-liiga Player of the Month (September)
SM-liiga Player of the Month (January)
SM-liiga Silver Medal

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I never saw stastny in his prime but I think he comes closest.

1239 points in 977 games. That's dominant no matter what era we are talking about IMO.

I think he was still in his mid 20s when he came over so he wasn't too late, but he ripped it up right away with 109 points in 77 games.

Had he played in a different market for his prime years, maybe his numbers are even better and he gets some more recognition too?

He was a crazy skilled player but also strong physically too from the little I have seen of him... If guess in that sense, he is not similar to ichiro.

Some what ifs...

What if fetisov came over earlier and was on a better team?

What if tretiak was able to come over when Montreal offered him a deal, although not sure what would happen with dryden already there.

Stastny is a good example. Maybe Selanne.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Jason,
This is a single shared trait, but.. Jagr & Ichiro share a disciplined, physical longevity..

I think that is something that will be a defining factor in Ichiro's legacy. He's stayed in shape for a very long time.. and baseball is a sport where it can be easy to get heavy & slow down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad