Hockey net lacing

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I recently purchased an EZGoal hockey net for my son to practice his shots on. Now, to give you some insight about me, my two most hated words in the English language are "assembly required". However, the good news is that putting the frame together was very easy. The netting however...

I was given 30 feet of lace to attach the netting to the frame. Instead of simply weaving the lace in, I used a bit of a slip knot for added strength. However, after lacing the top and both sides, I ran out of lacing for the net before I could even start the bottom.

I had the same issue lacing the netting on the sides that attach to the goal (you know, the panels that prevent wide shots from wrecking whatever is behind the net). Again, I was only able to complete about two thirds of the netting before I ran out of the lacing string.

What am I doing wrong? It's a pretty easy fix... I'm just going to go to the hardward store and get more nylon string to finish the job. However, you'd think that the EZ Goal folks know that they give adequate lengths of string and I just don't know how to lace it properly. One other thing, the netting is as tight as a drum. I assume it will eventually loosen, but I expected a little more slack.

Do any of you have anything to share on this subject?

Evergreen

How are you lacing it? 30 feet should be more than enough to lace a standard-size net. I just laced a Bauer net and I had one of the three provided strings left over.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I recently purchased an EZGoal hockey net for my son to practice his shots on. Now, to give you some insight about me, my two most hated words in the English language are "assembly required". However, the good news is that putting the frame together was very easy. The netting however...

I was given 30 feet of lace to attach the netting to the frame. Instead of simply weaving the lace in, I used a bit of a slip knot for added strength. However, after lacing the top and both sides, I ran out of lacing for the net before I could even start the bottom.

I had the same issue lacing the netting on the sides that attach to the goal (you know, the panels that prevent wide shots from wrecking whatever is behind the net). Again, I was only able to complete about two thirds of the netting before I ran out of the lacing string.

What am I doing wrong? It's a pretty easy fix... I'm just going to go to the hardward store and get more nylon string to finish the job. However, you'd think that the EZ Goal folks know that they give adequate lengths of string and I just don't know how to lace it properly. One other thing, the netting is as tight as a drum. I assume it will eventually loosen, but I expected a little more slack.

Do any of you have anything to share on this subject?

You are most likely doing a better job than the manufacturer expected you to do. 30 feet isn't a lot, you have got the following dimensions on a net which require lace 6+6+4+10(ish)=26 feet and that's not incorporating any knots. They probably intended you to just lace the string through the netting and the goal frame loops while only tying a few knots along the way. When really every goal frame loop should have a knot if you want to do it the right way.

This guy recommends 2 times the length you need, and he's only doing knots every 3rd net frame loop.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I remember assembling one about 10 years ago. They supplied two laces, a long one to attach the net to the posts and crossbar, and another one to tie the bottom skirt to the base of the net.

It ended up working fine, but they may have changed the packaging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad