Latvia: Hockey in Latvia

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by OscarsCards, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Rigafan

Rigafan Registered User

To be fair they do play them at Arena Riga so there is impossible chance of a sellout really, but I see you point :laugh:

2. GX

GX Registered User

Mogo games are free to attend. Their home arena is quite terrible, though, and, unlike Kurbads, they don't have a fan base of their own, so it's likely it would be attended by some 100-150 people only.

With regards to hockey atmosphere and overall experience, Kurbads would be the go-to game. There's even some merch for sale at their games. Kurbads is EUR 3-4 at the gate, you can buy them online, but there's no real need for that. :)

Here's a quick comparison of both 'arenas':
    Kurbads -
    Mogo -

Rigafan likes this.
  3. OscarsCards

OscarsCards Registered User

Home Page:
    So far this season looks pretty weak, my favorites at the moment are HS Riga and I just can't wait for Continental Cup.

4. GX

GX Registered User

Yeah, hopefully the pace picks up, it has been rather eventless. HS Riga is indeed the only one capable of producing some surprises, and showing a real fight in each game.

5. turk96

turk96 Registered User

Union steelworker
    Thanks for the info and videos. Unfortunately, we'll only be in Riga two days before taking a few days drive to get to Tallinn, so the Mogo game is my only option. But it's a bit up in the air due to the tight time schedule. I did get tickets for the Oct. 26th Dinamo-Avangard Omsk game (6th row center, which seems to be the most desirable for some reason). Although I've seen a few KHL games in the last few years (in Prague and Helsinki), this will be the first time I've actually seen a Russian club, so looking forward to that. From what I have seen, the arena looks pretty nice. Do they sell jerseys at the game?

Rigafan likes this.
  6. Rigafan

Rigafan Registered User

The arena is great, and don't worry about your seats, every seat has a good view at Arena riga!

Yes when you get through the doors you will see the stalls selling jerseys and everything else. Beware, just cause Latvia is cheap doesn't mean that Dinamo merch is :eek:

7. turk96

turk96 Registered User

Union steelworker
    Ah, cool. It's just always struck me as odd that hockey arenas in most European cities generally charge more for seats a few rows up, I guess because of the view. In the US, the first row "on the glass" seats are most coveted, with prices to match. I used to have an authentic Dinamo jersey, but my dog got a hold of it in her chewing phase. I was heartbroken. Glad I can finally replace it. Very much looking forward to my trip to Latvia and Estonia, and notching another hockey game in another foreign land. Now if only I could find out anything about the Estonian "league". But it seems to be pretty under the radar on the internet.

Rcknrollkillnmachine and Rigafan like this.
  8. OscarsCards

OscarsCards Registered User

Home Page:
    The number of registered hockey players in Latvia in 2016-17 season has grown to 7145 players, U20 registered players is all time high - 1921, it's a steady growth 6th season in a row.

[​IMG]

The intereactive version of chart can be found in here - Information about hockey in Latvia

Rigafan and HungryFrank like this.
  9. BalticWarrior

BalticWarrior Registered User

This is not that surprising, since the economy is recovering, the number of U20 players will increase. Its also important that new rinks are being built, because there is a problem with ice availability so its very encouraging to see new arenas built.

Rigafan likes this.
  10. turk96

turk96 Registered User

Union steelworker
    Had a great time at the game. Riga pulled the upset and scored the first goal in OT, so very exciting. Wonderful arena as well. And a very lively fan base. I was very impressed. riga1.JPG

Kalv, Rigafan and OscarsCards like this.