Hockey History Books

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I read most of Thunder and Lightning recently and its pretty interesting.

You can literally feel Phil Esposito talking. He says it like it is. The best is when he says "So-and-so were caught in a hotel room with a woman while I was playing for the Rangers, I don't want to say their names because one of them is still married to the same woman". Well, lol, if that guy's wife is ever bored that wouldn't be a hard thing to narrow down.

But for the most part Esposito names names which makes it that more intriguing. The only knock is that he overrates those Rangers teams of the '80s that he was GM for. They were never a contender.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Peter Gzowski - 'The Game of Our Lives' - beautifully written, highly recommended. It's about the 1980-81 Oilers. But it's also about the history of the game. Probably the best sports book I've ever read in my life.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Peter Gzowski - 'The Game of Our Lives' - beautifully written, highly recommended. It's about the 1980-81 Oilers. But it's also about the history of the game. Probably the best sports book I've ever read in my life.

That is a great book. Very interesting to read it from the perspective of the fact we know how things turned out, but the book was written with a bit of excitement at what is possible.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
here's my "collection"
metro ice -by stan fischler
honored members-HHOF
lord stanley's cup-HHOF
winnipeg jets,a celebration of hockey in winnipeg
canada's olympic hockey history
hockey's best shots, the greates photos of the century
blades on ice a century of pro hockey
nhl 75th anniversary, a commemarative book
total hockey
pride and passion 25 yrs of the islanders
canada's quest for the stanley cup
official illustrated nhl history
firewagon hockey -nhl in the 80's
hockey chronicles
boys of winter , the 1980 us olympic team
slapshot original -dave hanson
don cherry
birth of a dynasty the 1980 NYI
the greatest hockey stories ever told
the rebel league
the hall- celebrating the history and heritage of US hockeyhall of fame
the game
growing up hockey
hockey quotes
hockey's most wanted
ice time
midnight hockey
pictoral history of hockey

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
pride and passion 25 yrs of the islanders
the hall- celebrating the history and heritage of US hockeyhall of fame

These sound like they would be very worthwhile. Thanks for the ideas.

I'll pick them up if they are not included in the lot of 450 hockey books I just bought in an auction.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
450???? How will you find time to read them all?

I'm young.

Also, I have half of these books so I will just be turning around and selling them. this was just a great opportunity to get a few rare books that have eluded me and would have cost hundreds separately, plus a number of others I would like to have.

GNick42

Don Cherry's new book is a great book. Hockey Stories and Other Stuff.

Many interesting stories and tidbits in there. About old time hockey, the 6 team league in the '60s. The Espo trade, inside scoop. Many Bobby Orr stories. Playing those great Montreal teams of 1970s, etc...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Don Cherry's new book is a great book. Hockey Stories and Other Stuff.

Many interesting stories and tidbits in there. About old time hockey, the 6 team league in the '60s. The Espo trade, inside scoop. Many Bobby Orr stories. Playing those great Montreal teams of 1970s, etc...

I read it this year. Pretty fun read.

GNick42

I got the new Jacques Plante book for Xmas as well. Going to be good reading during the holidays.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm young.

Also, I have half of these books so I will just be turning around and selling them. this was just a great opportunity to get a few rare books that have eluded me and would have cost hundreds separately, plus a number of others I would like to have.

I (and I'm sure many others on here) would be interested to know what books you will be selling when you decide. Sounds like an opportunity to pick up some great books.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You and Triffy are added to the list. :thumbu:

Although I'll be offering them at better prices than you can get them anywhere else on the net in one place, I won't be just giving them away either. They cost me too much to begin with and it's important I recoup some of my costs. But you'll be impressed with the prices. Now how do I go about hawking my wares on hfboards? The answer is, I probably don't....

GNick42

Read a little of the Plante book this morning...a lot of stuff in there. Much work into that, good job. I only read the last chapter or two so far. I didn't know Plante worked with Pete Peeters too. But he had that big standup like Parent. I imagine the success Plante had on Parent is why Philly got him back as goalie coach for Peeters

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Just added via giftcard and online ordering:

Hockey Night in Dixie: Minor Pro Hockey in the American South
The Patricks: Hockey's Royal Family
Total Hockey, Second Edition

and possibly more if I can find something worth getting

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I picked up Hockey's Glory Days: The 1950s and 60s a few days ago.

Pretty decent book... it's actually set up really nicely for ATDers. Yearly overview and 100 player profiles with stats and a few hundred words about each guy.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I picked up Hockey's Glory Days: The 1950s and 60s a few days ago.

Pretty decent book... it's actually set up really nicely for ATDers. Yearly overview and 100 player profiles with stats and a few hundred words about each guy.

It's not bad, but I'm pretty sure the bios are word-for-word from Total Hockey. if not that, then something else...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm going book hunting this week!

Here's the list of books I'm looking for:

Total hockey: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Hockey League by James Duplacey and Dan Diamond (Hardcover - 1998)

Total Hockey, Second Edition by Dan Diamond (Hardcover - Feb 15 2003)

The Trail of the Stanley Cup: Vols. 1, 2, 3. by Charles L. Coleman (Hardcover - Jan 1 1976)

Hockey Chronicle: Year-By-Year History of the National Hockey League by Morgan Hughes, Stan Fischler, Shirley Fischler, and Joseph Romain (Hardcover - Jun 30 2005)

Ultimate Hockey by Glenn Weir (Paperback - 1999)

The Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association by Ed Willes (Paperback - Oct 4 2005)

Brian McFarlane's History of Hockey by Brian McFarlane (Hardcover - Oct 7 1997)

Without Fear: Hockey's 50 Greatest Goaltenders by Duff & Allen (Hardcover - Nov 1 2002)

The Red Machine: The Soviet Quest to Dominate Canada’s Game by Lawrence Martin (Hardcover - Oct 1 1990)

The Hockey Compendium: NHL Facts, Stats, and Stories - Paperback (Nov 13 2001) by Dave Bidini, Jeff Klein, and Carl-Eric Reif

Kings of the Ice: A History of World Hockey by Andrew Podnieks, Pavel Barta, and Dmitri Ryzkov (Hardcover - Oct 2002)

King of Russia: A Year in the Russian Super League by Dave King and Eric Duhatschek (Paperback - Sep 30 2008)

Lords of the Rinks: The Emergence of the National Hockey League, 1875-1936 by John Chi-Kit Wong (Paperback - Sep 24 2005)

A Century of Hockey Heroes: 100 of the Greatest All-Time Stars by James Duplacey, Eric Zweig, and NHL (Paperback - Oct 1999)

Deceptions and Doublecross: How the NHL Conquered Hockey by Morey Holzman and Joseph Nieforth (Hardcover - Oct 1 2002)

The Montreal Canadiens: 100 Years of Glory by D'Arcy Jenish (Paperback - Oct 20 2009)

The Hockey Handbook by Lloyd Percival (Paperback - Aug 9 1997)

Coast to Coast: Hockey in Canada to the Second World War by John Chi-Kit Wong (Paperback - Jul 25 2009)

Cold War: The amazing Canada-Soviet Hockey Series of 1972 by Roy MacSkimming (Hardcover - Oct 1 1996)

Net Worth by David Cruise (Mass Market Paperback - Sep 1 1992)

Hockey’s Golden Era: Stars of the Original Six by Frank Selke Jr., Mike Leonetti, and Harold Barkley (Paperback - Oct 1 1998)

Original Six: True Stories from Hockey's Classic Era by Paul Quarrington (Hardcover - 1996)

Best of the Original Six by Brian McFarlane (Paperback - Oct 1 2005)

Anyone recommend others or ones here that I shouldn't get?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm going book hunting this week!

Here's the list of books I'm looking for:

Anyone recommend others or ones here that I shouldn't get?

Contact me before you buy any of these.

As I mentioned, I bought a lot of 450 books. I have about half of them, and the other half are duplicates of what I already have. You'll be helping me out big-time, plus I'll save you a ton of cash on not only the prices of the books, but also the shipping cost of buying one from one guy, two from another guy, and so on.

I still have to sort them all out into "got 'em" and "need 'em" piles but I am pretty sure I have 90% of the books you just mentioned. And, of course, more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad