Hockey Cards - Part III

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
1000012799.jpg

1 $300 box - 1 Bedard YG ✅

Thank God, cause I was really not about to drop another $300. With the way his price is dropping I wonder if he ends up under that? Either way, with his current price there's no reason to buy hobby boxes anymore.

Also as I've seen others mention, seems like he is almost always with Lohrei.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
View attachment 834148

1 $300 box - 1 Bedard YG ✅

Thank God, cause I was really not about to drop another $300. With the way his price is dropping I wonder if he ends up under that? Either way, with his current price there's no reason to buy hobby boxes anymore.

Also as I've seen others mention, seems like he is almost always with Lohrei.
300 usd? Jesus Christ thats insane. Is there an all in one place to check card values? I know there are for cards like pokemon and yugioh, not sure if hockey has one.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
300 usd? Jesus Christ thats insane. Is there an all in one place to check card values? I know there are for cards like pokemon and yugioh, not sure if hockey has one.

300 usd yep. It is insane

They're even more now online like $330 or something.

I just check eBay current listings and recently sold prices

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
300 usd yep. It is insane

They're even more now online like $330 or something.

I just check eBay current listings and recently sold prices
I see a bunch at 350 here in canada and thought that was insane immediately bulked at it, cant imagine paying 400+tax for it.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Card Guard is dominating my local supplies market. They are the only penny sleeve product I can find at a brick and mortar. Hate these sleeves. Too thick, tight and I cannot open them without leaving permanent thumb pinch marks. Terrible product.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Saw also this : US $399,998.98 :huh:
I certainly don't care about jersey numbered serials but there are some sickos out there that will pay big premiums for them. Depending on what the first few yges end up selling for this week, I could see the #98/100 fetching anywhere from 2.5-10x premium... just need to attract the right buyer

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Been enjoying this thread. I’m 53 and collected from 1975 till the early 90s. Mostly baseball. My father got me into it. He had an amazing collection. Probably one of the best in the country. Unfortunately he passed away in September. But as a result of his death we had to get his collection appraised which has awoken my collecting bug a little bit.

His collection is insane in quality and quantity. At one point in the early 90s he answered and ad in the paper and bought out the entire inventory of a card store from a widow who’s husband owned and ran the store. Took my dad several trips with a U-Haul to bring all the cards home. They filled up the entire basement and garage. For decades he would sort the cards and look for treasures. We still have boxes and boxes of unopened packs of cards from around that time. Lots of unopened 91-92 Upper Deck hockey cards for example. Grabbed one and brought it to the office and every once in a while me and my brother will grab a pack each and see who gets the better cards.

To give you context of what he was collecting, he spent the last several years trying to put together the famous cigarette cards from around 1910. The set with the Honus Wagner card which I believe is the most valuable card in the world. He was never going to get that card, but he had several hundred other cards from that set. His most valuable card is a 1952 Topps Mantle Rookie. In the shape it’s in, its worth about $35,000.

We are planning to auction off his collection. When we do I’ll post a link so you can see his collection if you are interested in what a lifetime of card collecting looks like.

The industry now is a joke. At least that’s how it appears to my eyes. Cards of players who haven’t even played a full season yet going for thousands of dollars. I refuse to believe these cards will hold even a fraction of that value in the long run. I refuse to believe that a Bedard rookie is worth more than my dad’s Mantle rookie.

I’m thinking of getting back into it, but only to go back and collect cards from my childhood and earlier. No interest in this new stuff. And quite frankly, I don’t even understand the new stuff. Just seems like a bunch of silliness to me.

I miss the days of going to card shows with my dad as early as when I was 8 years old. He would give me $10 and tell me I could use it to buy any complete set I wanted from that year. And he wanted me to go find the best deal. Really he just wanted me out of his hair a big while he went looking for the really nice rare stuff. But thsoe were great memories. We did that every year for a decade and I still have all those complete sets in binders at my mom’s house.

First set I ever put together on my own was the 1975 Topps baseball. Still love that set. My best hockey card is a Gretzky rookie, but it’s not in good condition. I also have a bunch of uncut Opeechee hockey card sheets, but I took terrible care of them.

My dad would’ve been 81 this past Sunday and reading this thread made me think about him a lot. Appreciate that!

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Card Guard is dominating my local supplies market. They are the only penny sleeve product I can find at a brick and mortar. Hate these sleeves. Too thick, tight and I cannot open them without leaving permanent thumb pinch marks. Terrible product.
Order bulk Ultra Pro online and call it a day. Walmart sells the 1000ct pack and they're decently priced. I wont use anything else personally. A couple breakers I know use Cardboard Gold (aka piss yellow) and they're just as awful with the penny sleeves.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
This was our find in the walls when my parents had gutted their house for renovations about 10 years ago.

I also have a Red Kelly from this set. I think it's Parkhurst:

View attachment 834702

View attachment 834703

really cool. One of the few hockey cards we found in my dad's collection was a random collection of 57 Parkhurst hockey cards 1951-52. They look a little different from those, but maybe they are a year apart. yours might be 52-53 set since it has the 51-52 stats. The condition of my dad's Parkhurst cards are low to to mid-grade and have an appraisal value of $1000.

Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
really cool. One of the few hockey cards we found in my dad's collection was a random collection of 57 Parkhurst hockey cards 1951-52. They look a little different from those, but maybe they are a year apart. yours might be 52-53 set since it has the 51-52 stats. The condition of my dad's Parkhurst cards are low to to mid-grade and have an appraisal value of $1000.
Wow. Cool story as well and you are probably right about the year for my set. As a kid I was an avid collector of the O-Pee-Chee sticker albums and just realized I had all of these completed. Some are in rough shape though:

1000016930.jpg

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Wow. Cool story as well and you are probably right about the year for my set. As a kid I was an avid collector of the O-Pee-Chee sticker albums and just realized I had all of these completed. Some are in rough shape though:

View attachment 834732
I bet you wish you could go back in time and tell little you to keep the stickers as is and not to attach them to the books. But that's a tough sell to a little kid :)

When I was around 6 I traded a late career Hank Aaron card for a Charms blow pop. Needless to say, my dad was furious with me and for decades continued to bring that up lol.

• Haha

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
The 51-52 set is much more valuable from top to bottom. It's almost all rookie cards, including Rocket Richard and Gordie Howe. Even without those two, it easy to see why 57 cards in low condition would be very valuable.

Those 52-53 cards are very nice in any condition, but not worth a lot of money. Just really cool pieces of hockey history to have and own.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I bet you wish you could go back in time and tell little you to keep the stickers as is and not to attach them to the books. But that's a tough sell to a little kid :)

When I was around 6 I traded a late career Hank Aaron card for a Charms blow pop. Needless to say, my dad was furious with me and for decades continued to bring that up lol.
You're right.

I also remember having at least 8-10 Gretzky RCs. I used to buy cards every day and used to stack them in a medicine cabinet on our second floor bathroom.

I had 5-6 stacks of card every year about a foot tall.

Summer would come, my mom would toss them out and I'd collect again the next fall.

Rinse and repeat every year. :laugh:

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
You're right.

I also remember having at least 8-10 Gretzky RCs. I used to buy cards every day and used to stack them in a medicine cabinet on our second floor bathroom.

I had 5-6 stacks of card every year about a foot tall.

Summer would come, my mom would toss them out and I'd collect again the next fall.

Rinse and repeat every year. :laugh:

when my dad got married (1965) my grandma asked him what she was to do with all his baseball cards. He told her to just throw them out.

A few years later he got the bug again and started over and was able to recreate his entire collection + a lot more. used to always talk about how he regretted that conversation with grandma.

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad