Hobey Baker winner Dryden McKay tests positive for ostarine

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Hmmmm, and that's why you've got to get into the NHL/AHL as quickly as possible where no one is ever caught for doping.

Or is this site of the opinion that hundreds of athletes continuously performing herculean feats of athleticism, needing to rapidly recover from injury, and needing all the endurance they can get.... don't consume substances which would help them do all of those things? Despite millions of dollars being on the line if you could just get a little bit stronger. A little bit faster. Recover a little sooner.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Hmmmm, and that's why you've got to get into the NHL/AHL as quickly as possible where no one is ever caught for doping.

Or is this site of the opinion that hundreds of athletes continuously performing herculean feats of athleticism, needing to rapidly recover from injury, and needing all the endurance they can get.... don't consume substances which would help them do all of those things? Despite millions of dollars being on the line if you could just get a little bit stronger. A little bit faster. Recover a little sooner.

“I've been saying that I'm surprised that people are surprised. You know, I've been years in this sport. I've had the top people come up to me, trying to push this stuff on me all the time. I'm like, 'when you've done what I've done, we can't even consider talking about this. And even then, still, no.

But it's like, when people approach me I'm like 'what the f***? Everyone's on steroids” ~ Nate Diaz

Reactions: FrozenJagrt

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Seems like an honest mistake, apparently it’s found in lots of supplements.

The only reason he was even subject to testing was Olympics being backup goalie for US, he did not fail any NCAA test or anything.

Reactions: JMCx4

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

I think it's for sure used under medical supervision for recovery of injuries. But it is fully out of their system once they are cleared to play

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I think it's for sure used under medical supervision for recovery of injuries. But it is fully out of their system once they are cleared to play

Adds Yesalis, who has served as a consultant to (among others) the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy, U.S. Senate Judiciary and Committees, the NFLPA, the USOC and NCAA: "Combine the availability of these drugs with the loopholes in testing -- the loopholes are so big, I could drive an M1 Abrams Tank through it, in the total darkness, without night vision on, and not scrape it. There is no suspicion among fans. Drug testing is a facade, it's only to keep politicians away, and give fans plausible deniability. They think their sport idols, the guys and gals they really like to watch perform, are naturally big and fast and strong. Frankly, I don't know if fans do care if they dope, they just don't want it shoved into their face."

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Seems like an honest mistake, apparently it’s found in lots of supplements.

The only reason he was even subject to testing was Olympics being backup goalie for US, he did not fail any NCAA test or anything.

Right....Ostarine is a pretty powerful SARM, it's not technically illegal and can easily be acquired for "research purposes". However, if it is in supplements it will be pretty clearly marked as a supplement having testosterone like substances and/or research chemicals. I find it odd that there all these high level athletes taking sketchy looking pre-workout and muscle building compounds, despite knowledge of the risk. These aren't jugs of weigh protein that contain these SARMs, it's sketchy looking "muscle building" and testosterone replacement type "supplements". They'd all be in some kind of sketchy bottle with sketchy labelling, yet all these top level guys, with access to nutritionists, keep accidentally taking the stuff.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Ovechkin having a crazy start to this season, when expecting to go to the Olympics made an eyebrow raise for me lol. But of course, I can't prove anything, just speculations.

But Putin sure does love doping.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Right....Ostarine is a pretty powerful SARM, it's not technically illegal and can easily be acquired for "research purposes". However, if it is in supplements it will be pretty clearly marked as a supplement having testosterone like substances and/or research chemicals. I find it odd that there all these high level athletes taking sketchy looking pre-workout and muscle building compounds, despite knowledge of the risk. These aren't jugs of weigh protein that contain these SARMs, it's sketchy looking "muscle building" and testosterone replacement type "supplements". They'd all be in some kind of sketchy bottle with sketchy labelling, yet all these top level guys, with access to nutritionists, keep accidentally taking the stuff.

Ok. Sounds like you didn’t read about the incident at all. Read the excerpts from Sportsnets article below.

Bolded part is key

“The next 48 hours were complete chaos. McKay withdrew from the Olympics, shipped “my proteins, vitamins, everything” to a lab for analysis. Focus zoomed in on a bottle of Quercetin, a plant-based antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that some use as an immune-booster or recovery tool for COVID.

McKay was taking it exactly for that reason, as Omicron surged. He wanted to protect himself as much as possible during his final college season. But, if you’ve ever dealt in the world of supplements, you know how tricky it is. Ingredients aren’t always what they are marked to be.

It’s a minefield.

“I made the mistake of taking it,” he said. “But I could have never imagined that this would have been the result of taking something like that.”

“This has happened to hundreds of people I’ve represented,” Greene added. “Taking what seems like an innocent vitamin that turned out to be contaminated.”

What saved McKay in the short-term was that this particular company (which he and Greene would not name) agreed to send a sealed Quercetin bottle to the lab for analysis.

“Typically the only way to get the provisional suspension lifted is to show not just the open version is contaminated, but the sealed version of the same lot number, too,” Greene said. “There are instances over time where people have tried to manipulate the supplement and thrown a drug in there, which is absurd. You need the sealed version.”

Lab testing confirmed both the open and sealed bottle contained Ostarine

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Good ole sarms. Gotta love them trying to show this doesn’t happen because they test. Oh wait, this is done to a player leaving their system? So not impacted by the punishment? Virtue signalling to trick casuals at its finest.

Honestly tho, this mans chose ostarine :laugh:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Seems like folks are jumping on the “everybody is doing steroids all the time” argument here but my reading of this is there’s a solid chance that McKay just made a simple mistake.

Seems more likely to me that an NCAA netminder took some vitamin without running it by the medical staff than that Minnesota State is juicing their guys out heavy.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure there’s more undercover performance enhancement use going on in hockey than we think, but that doesn’t mean every guy who pops positive is sucking down steroid cocktails every morning.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Seems like folks are jumping on the “everybody is doing steroids all the time” argument here but my reading of this is there’s a solid chance that McKay just made a simple mistake.

Seems more likely to me that an NCAA netminder took some vitamin without running it by the medical staff than that Minnesota State is juicing their guys out heavy.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure there’s more undercover performance enhancement use going on in hockey than we think, but that doesn’t mean every guy who pops positive is sucking down steroid cocktails every morning.

PEDs are different than steroids. Almost everyone uses PEDs. For a goalie, think more a long the lines of stuff that slows things down for you. Batters in baseball too. PEDs aren’t just about muscles, all aspects of performance, such as ability to react(reflex speed) are enhanced.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, look up PEDs that impact oxygen consumption/utilization.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
PEDs are different than steroids. Almost everyone uses PEDs. For a goalie, think more a long the lines of stuff that slows things down for you. Batters in baseball too. PEDs aren’t just about muscles, all aspects of performance, such as ability to react(reflex speed) are enhanced.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, look up PEDs that impact oxygen consumption/utilization.

Oh for sure, and I agree that there’s likely more PED use in hockey than the general public understands.

I just see that whenever a guy pops a lotta people rush in with the narrative that like “Everyone in hockey is on heavy PEDs and you’re naive if you think anyone isn’t.” I’m just not sure that this story is at all indicative of that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ovechkin having a crazy start to this season, when expecting to go to the Olympics made an eyebrow raise for me lol. But of course, I can't prove anything, just speculations.

But Putin sure does love doping.

Yup. Whenever players have Barry Bonds-type career arcs and start turning in career-best performances in their mid-30s I'm immediately skeptical.

Especially when you're a Russian given what's happened there.

Reactions: Metroid

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
No drug testing at all in the NHL from playoff start to training camp start. And after the two random tests you’re essentially free to do whatever you want.

Reactions: CapSpace

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Due to forum rules I won’t discuss any further. But depending on your expectations and goals, they do what they are advertised to do

Didn't have any lofty expectations, I just expected them to do something. There are a lot of things out there that work and in my experience SARMS ain't one of them

Reactions: LokiDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad