HNIC Broadcast vs Sportsnet Commentary

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
It's insane how much better the game is to watch with the HNIC commentary in contrast to Quinn/Remenda. I've always thought Remenda was the primary reason the Sportsnet broadcast was so bad. I was wrong - Quinns weak too, the two combined kills the game. Drew with his critical colour commentary and Quinn with his square call of the game.

Unreal, remenda is reminiscent of the Lowe regime, where the suck the life out of whatever Lowe touched - the team, media, life in general; Remenda has the same effect on a hockey broadcast. The Quinn/Remenda team has to end. How could Sportsnet not realize it??

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Aside from Romanuk ****ing up our players names probably even worse than Quinn, I'd have to agree. It took him until the 3rd period to realize #51 was Lander not Letestu.

Overall I enjoyed the broadcast tonight though. I don't mind Quinn, but having no Remenda color was a breath of fresh air.

Then again the NHL also ****ed up tonight and gave Letestu's assist on Benning's goal to Lander lol. Maybe they were watching the broadcast?

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Eh, I feel as though I'm the only person here who gets some twisted form of enjoyment out of Quinn's, and to a lesser extent Remenda's, occasional laugh-out-loud "moments".

That being said, I definitely agree that it was a nice change of pace to hear some different people doing an Oilers game on TV.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I watch alot of Leafs games with my bro as he's a fan, and I promise if we had Romanuk every game people would hate him more than Remenda, the guy is bad and just says some dumb, completely wrong things multiple times a game.

I think people here were just enjoying them gush over McDavid.

I did really like him back when he did the Spengler though.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Ray Ferraro and Gord Miller in my opinion is the best tandem around. I wish we had these guys full time,would be a treat.

IIRC, Bell/TSN offered them an out after Rogers got the 12 year deal but a lot of them felt "loyal" to TSN so they stuck around. I remember reading a tweet Duthie and McKenzie mentioning something about that.

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011
Romanuk is still terrible. He wasn't as bad last night but he was still just as bad as Quinn in terms of screwing up player names.

I remember last year Klinkhammer was hurt and Romanuk said something along the lines of "The Oilers defence is really reeling without Klinkhammer in the lineup who is one of their top 4 defencemen". He also made some really obnoxious comments about Kassian on the live broadcast but I can't remember exactly what they were. The amount of **** talking he did last year about the Oilers on a national broadcast made the games a complete pain to listen to.

He was a bit better last night in terms of calling the game down the middle but he was still pretty awful.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yesterday was horrid. Gryba is apparently 67, Lander is Hendricks, it was just horrid. Millen wasn't bad, but play by play was the worse I've heard in awhile

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
IIRC, Bell/TSN offered them an out after Rogers got the 12 year deal but a lot of them felt "loyal" to TSN so they stuck around. I remember reading a tweet Duthie and McKenzie mentioning something about that.

TSN also signed those guys to long, long term deals once they knew Sportsnet had the package. So if they had the out it was before the public knew the deal was finalized with the NHL and sportsnet

Worth mentioning that McKenzie is only around for another 3 years or so. Duthie was talking about the WJC and somehow threw that in there.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yesterday was horrid. Gryba is apparently 67, Lander is Hendricks, it was just horrid. Millen wasn't bad, but play by play was the worse I've heard in awhile

Romanuk and Remenda National Broadcast would be glorious:laugh:

Ideally for a Leafs-Sharks game

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
TSN also signed those guys to long, long term deals once they knew Sportsnet had the package. So if they had the out it was before the public knew the deal was finalized with the NHL and sportsnet

Worth mentioning that McKenzie is only around for another 3 years or so. Duthie was talking about the WJC and somehow threw that in there.

Possible. I know they were tweeting how they were gonna stick with TSN despite given the option.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Lol I liked it but the 4th line got butchered Lander kept transforming into Letestu and Hendricks

Then when Romanuk finally gets Letestu/Lander right, the official scorer gets them wrong & gives Lander an assist when it obviously should have been Letestu since he's the one who shot the puck & Lander never even came close to touching it.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Maybe it's because of my fondness for the Spengler Cup, but I've always liked Paul Romaniuk. So what if he (or Quinn or any pbp guy for that matter) screws up the names sometimes? Broadcast locations are often a long way from the ice (especially in the newer barns) and some teams' jersey number colours can be hard to pick up. I'll take a guy like Romaniuk imperfectly calling it down the middle on a national broadcast over a goof like Mark Lee who I'm convinced used to purposely try to distract viewers by substituting endless negativity for any semblance of real knowledge about whatever sport he was calling.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
For me its come to muting the game and putting on a podcast or something while I watch. It sucks because I lose out on all the on-ice sounds that are so great with hockey, but there is just so much cringe and discomfort added with Quinn and Remeda that I can't take it. And they add absolutely nothing. The best they can do is be innocuous. Its awful.

A few years ago I was subscribed to the NHL online thing and watched over a VPN so I could get the away feeds for every single game. I miss those days.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
DeBrusk has actually improved over time too IMO, so I think this combo would be excellent if reunited.

I know most Oil fans would love to have Ferraro back.

Easily. Remenda can gtfo. I'm not asking for a guy to be completely bias towards the Oilers but Remenda's love for the opposition every game has gotten past the point of annoying. Oilers do something good in a play. and he's gushing over the other team and their players. Oilers do something wrong and he goes ballistic. Go away, Remenda.
Any game without that clown commentating is always a breath of fresh air.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I was shocked that anyone was worse than Quinn but that commentary made Quinn look practically flawless.

Despite the f ups all over the place it was still nice as a change. To hear fresh stuff was great.

I appreciate Remenda's unbias opinion. The best commentary is where they dont act like Homers 24/7. Remenda does take it a bit far but I would stop watching if I had to listen to the Flames (Ball?) blow bullcrap on a regular basis.

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
Since we are on the topic of commentators, anyone know what Chris Cuthbert is doing nowadays?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Romanuk is still terrible. He wasn't as bad last night but he was still just as bad as Quinn in terms of screwing up player names.

I remember last year Klinkhammer was hurt and Romanuk said something along the lines of "The Oilers defence is really reeling without Klinkhammer in the lineup who is one of their top 4 defencemen". He also made some really obnoxious comments about Kassian on the live broadcast but I can't remember exactly what they were. The amount of **** talking he did last year about the Oilers on a national broadcast made the games a complete pain to listen to.

He was a bit better last night in terms of calling the game down the middle but he was still pretty awful.

He also trashed the city when he thought they were on a commercial break. He's the last guy I want to hear doing Oiler broadcasts. In addition to having a voice that's just painful to listen to he's also a classless idiot. He belongs back in Europe where we only have to listen to him doing obscure games that nobody cares about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad