Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
What's he worth? Our fanbase thinks nothing, what do other GMs think?
He's a PPG winger in the NHL in his prime. Our fanbase is emotional, he's worth a pretty good haul with an extension to any team that needs scoring / push to make playoffs. What you get after from him in the playoffs is a different story.

Think teams like:
San Jose
Ducks
Chicago
MTL
Utah/Arizona
Columbus (Does a Werenski for Marner 1 for 1 trade interest anyone??)
Seattle
Nashvile
Islanders.

Reactions: Gallagbi

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's a PPG winger in the NHL in his prime. Our fanbase is emotional, he's worth a pretty good haul with an extension to any team that needs scoring / push to make playoffs. What you get after from him in the playoffs is a different story.

Think teams like:
San Jose
Ducks
Chicago
MTL
Utah/Arizona
Columbus (Does a Werenski for Marner 1 for 1 trade interest anyone??)
Seattle
Nashvile
Islanders.
SHarks, Ducks, MTL, CBJ have 0 interest in marner. They wont give up high end ELC assets while they are tanking/rebuilding and pay marner 11-12M. Hes a non factor in those markets

Teams that would be interested

Pens
Caps (at lower value to try and get OV 30+ goals and secure the record - would give a 1st + prospect)
Blues
Preds
Utah
Seattle
Stars *potentially depending on if stars lose to knights
Sabres *could be a team after marner at a rental price/valuation

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
We throw the Habs series even though Willy is playing like a greek god.

0 positive contribution from Tavares or Marner.

This series the same thing happened.

We literally needed Marner to put up an offensive performance more than 1 game in a 7 game series. He was great in game 5. Where was that????

22 million locked up in JT and Marner is the #1 reason we suck.

Matthews without Marner looked just as bit if not better with 2 mediocre wings.

Matthews showed game 2, he can be that dude without a lot of help. What has Marner showed?

SHOW ME THE LEGACY GAME FOR MARNER.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
SHarks, Ducks, MTL, CBJ have 0 interest in marner. They wont give up high end ELC assets while they are tanking/rebuilding and pay marner 11-12M. Hes a non factor in those markets
The thing about rebuilding teams are they eventually need to start winning to not destroy the young players confidences. I don't think Chicago getting 15 wins with Bedard is going to sit well with him if they do the same next season.

Also, Sharks/Ducks/CBJ can't afford to be bad for that long due to making money etc~ the business side won't allow them to rebuild forever. Not like teams like NYR/MTL/TOR etc.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The thing about rebuilding teams are they eventually need to start winning to not destroy the young players confidences. I don't think Chicago getting 15 wins with Bedard is going to sit well with him if they do the same next season.

Also, Sharks/Ducks/CBJ can't afford to be bad for that long due to making money etc~ the business side won't allow them to rebuild forever. Not like teams like NYR/MTL/TOR etc.
The business side would prevent them from giving marner 90-100M as well though

I dont thonk sharks/ducls/cbj have issues with revenues but if they do why would they pay so much for marner? How would they afford to pay that for marner too if they are bleeding money?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Teams that would be interested

Pens
Caps (at lower value to try and get OV 30+ goals and secure the record - would give a 1st + prospect)
Blues
Preds
Utah
Seattle
Stars *potentially depending on if stars lose to knights
Sabres *could be a team after marner at a rental price/valuation

Every GM would be happy to have him :D. ROFL .

Sure, unless we talking half the league trying to win the Cup, because we know he is useless in playoffs. The rest? They could use defensive forward !! I mean if I was building team, I'll start with trading assets for Mitch f*cking Marner . All to have the privilege to overpay him 1 whole year earlier?

I want him gone, but there is only one GM mad enough to get Marner @10M +. We need you to step up Kyle!

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It was the JT signing. No other team got themselves in the situation of paying 4 similar forwards 50% of the cap and they all went through Covid
it doesnt matter that every team went through covid as well, when they signed Tavares the idea was the cap would continue to rise and everything would be fine. flatcap happened and now suddenly that signing was a major mistake but how the hell could anyone prepare for that?

its not an excuse if the cap continued to rise the signing would have never been an issue.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
Slept on it and woke up feeling even worse than I did last night

Abject dejection and worthlessnesses overpower anger and frustration

Leafs fandom and a slowly crushing my soul
I figured that either way this club was going to win. Either by winning the series or taking the necessary measures to remove those elements that were wanting.

Reactions: PromisedLand

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Best thing for Leafs is to just rebuild the D and hope Marner can rebound. Mathews out hurt the potential impact of scoring. Taveras was signed and yes he had pedigree but still an over payment to me. Hard to see a market here for anyone but Mathews as they are highly paid and big cap hits or just to many teams not willing to add this kind of AAV and term.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It won't happen.

I'm holding out hope, but it starts this summer...if Tre re-signs Marner, then this team is done. Leafs should build around Matthews, Nylander and Knies going forward...if JT wants to come back after his contract ends, pay him a few million and move him to the wing.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
It was a close series, but overall Bruins outplayed Leafs by a bit. Surprisingly, it was a low scoring series when in the past you could get wild shootout games.

Goalies played well overall for both sides. 5 on 5 was so close. Leafs PP tanked going 1-21. As Leafs radio said last night, if Leafs just scored 4 or 5 PP goals they would had won. Very true.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
it doesnt matter that every team went through covid as well, when they signed Tavares the idea was the cap would continue to rise and everything would be fine. flatcap happened and now suddenly that signing was a major mistake but how the hell could anyone prepare for that?

its not an excuse if the cap continued to rise the signing would have never been an issue.

The cap would rise for the rest of the league as well.

One way or another we had no need for JT , it f*cked our internal cap structure, stripped Matthews of any responsibility and ultimately C, costed us draft picks we could turn in two lines of Matthew Knies -let that sink in. The depth we had in Kadri, Hyman ...

I could go on, pointing out that even with raising cap, we would be suckers with the worst cap structure in the league.

But yeah, it would be slightly better if not for COVID. No one expected COVID, Dubas is lucky COVID happened, gave him an excuse.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It was the JT signing. No other team got themselves in the situation of paying 4 similar forwards 50% of the cap and they all went through Covid
It was never the JT signing.

When a superstar comes up, you have to go for it. Simple as that.

Their entire Cap structure was entirely dependent on the cap going up, reducing the cap hit of the core 4 annually, allowing you to continually add stronger pieces around them.

The flat cap blew up that idea, but they failed to adjust to the new reality. And now, here we are.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
well, what part exactly am I wrong on? you do realize the cap was suppose to go up 3+m the first year covid shut things down right?

you see when players sign for high percentage of the cap, as you move forward the cap rises every year making the overall percentage of those signings to lower and create cap savings. I figured over the years the cap should have/could have gone up by over 9m. in that time it went up by around 1.5-2m

would love you hear you explain where I'm making excuses.
so, basing your cap management on a projection, stupid is as stupid does...........

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Does Shanny have little experience? This is like someone working for the same company for 20 years and being hired as VP, not a new hire with no industry experience.

He likely agreed and it was his vision too.
He had no management experience with a hockey team only the NHL office with Player Safety. Usually ex players get a management job in the minors first or as an assistant before being handed the keys to an NHL franchise.

Yup he knows he is done here.
Wow. That says it all.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
And when he has all that cap and signs someone to an overpriced contract, will you say the same?

Hockey is a random sport, give yourself the best chance every year.

And if you want to tear it down, move Matthews and Nylander too, because they aren't getting younger, and wasting a year is foolish.
The Leaf losing isn’t random. It’s totally predictable.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Are Leaf fans the only ones that can see their team get a single goal in multiple games and blame the goalie for the loss or are there other fanbases just as delusional?
They ones that do blame the goalie don’t understand hockey and need anger management courses

you can set your watch to it............
A lot of money can be and is made on Sports books betting against the Leafs.

Reactions: egd27

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Samsonov certainly wasn't good for the series. Well below average. If we're just talking about game 7, he had a solid game but unfortunately for him gave up a soft goal less than 2 minutes after we took the 3rd period lead. But yeah, need to score some goals for sure.
Look at Rielly’s feeble attempt to block the shot on the tieing goal. Weak ass effort and totally screened Samsanov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad