Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Another year and another Leafs team falls short. This core is the king of excuses.... "we were right there". We are the "almost beat that team" team. Doesn't matter you still failed.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
It's actually a great thing when your GM pushes back against player agents' wishes.

Not sure you realize this but because these players got paid so well, that prevents them from having a decent supporting crew around them.

Bascially Pandoras Box got unleashed on them.

They wanted all the money, but because there's no money left for the team around them, they're not able to have success because that's actually what's needed to win in the NHL.

You can't have it both ways.

They wanted to have it all, and lead the way.

They've failed, yet again.
I wonder how many years Engvall's agent asked for initially last summer

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas built a Marlies winner spending AAAA budget in AAA league.

You are also describing the Knights as well... what is your point exactly?

I am discussing hiring Hunter vs Dubas, would be very curious to hear why you are vouching for Hunter unless you just inserted yourself in this convo for no reason.

Talking to the wall, some have permanent blinders on……..

If you'd like to discuss the merits of why Hunter would have been a better hire at the time, I'd love to hear it.

I am assuming you have a lot of interesting points on the matter.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dubas built a Marlies winner spending AAAA budget in AAA league.

I mean you can copy paste this comment about London lol, probably even more accurate since the Marlies don’t have anyone to pay under the table.

I don’t get the point of arguing which guy with no NHL track record should have taken over, neither is the correct option.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He convinced one former player who had no experience building a team. And who cares if he’s rich ? Are you his accountant or something ?
It's funny but I have witnessed the exact same scenario at my workplace. A new VP joined the org with little experience in the industry. One of his reports convinced him there was a "new and better way" to execute a job function that had used a certified industry standard approach for years.

The VP bought the BS and promoted him to oversee the department and implement his new strategy. Long story short, it failed.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I mean you can copy paste this comment about London lol, probably even more accurate since the Marlies don’t have anyone to pay under the table.

I don’t get the point of arguing which guy with no NHL track record should have taken over, neither is the correct option.

Agreed on that. The only person that the Shanaplan correctly targeted in those early days for the brain trust was Kelly McCrimmon. He looked at the program and said “nope”.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's funny but I have witnessed the exact same scenario at my workplace. A new VP joined the org with little experience in the industry. One of his reports convinced him there was a "new and better way" to execute a job function that had used a certified industry standard approach for years.

The VP bought the BS and promoted him to oversee the department and implement his new strategy. Long story short, it failed.

A story as old as time. Did you still think that life was a meritocracy?

Narrator: "It isn't."

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You have 2 Cs who can playoff perform.
Auston and Nylander.
Build around them.
Look at what Domi and Bert did for Matthews for basically 1 mil each.
Tough gritty talented players

Knies is our future young kid. Right set of tools.

Imagine we had Bert and Domi for multiple seasons to build chemistry with our 2 Cs??

Do this for Nylander as well.

Its almost like Nylander is our 1C with how he has handled himself in performance, dealing with the media, and setting the vibe of the team - and playing with a lesser forward than Matthews more than half the time.

Mccabe and Edmundson are legit Dmen, who can body players off pucks and play it in when needed. It showed in the playoffs. When you notice Mccabe and Edmundson more than Marner its very telling. VERY f***ING TELLING.

Build your D from here.

Rielly is too soft to stop plays with his body. Hes like Marner in a Dman.
And this year his puck handling, and playmaking acumen nosedived.
All the play off his stick is dead.
Super Slow QB for the PP, very telegraphed passes.
I hope he is revealed to be injured because as of right now, what this team needs is to get rid of this guy.

Very telling that Boosh, and Benoit had better pinch plays than Rielly.
f***ING TELLING AGAIN...

Anything from the OLD Dubas DNA needs to go.

Marner and Rielly. Additions by Subtractions. 18Mil around there
JT can retire in 1 year. 11Mil
Get Samsonovs 1 Mil in there
30Mil For a Goalie, Good Forwards, and a Blueline upgrade.

Not a bad start for Cap.

Bring in a culture setter after Keefe has his bags packed.

Future of the team is Bright with clarity

If marner is back then bring back Babcock for at least 1 year and make Babcock force Marner to make lists every f***ing day

i am only half kidding here

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Does Shanny have little experience? This is like someone working for the same company for 20 years and being hired as VP, not a new hire with no industry experience.

He likely agreed and it was his vision too.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would be fine with a PLD return, but I think for every PLD return, there is a Tkachuk return, that is what I am scared of.

treliving was forced by flames ownership to do that deal. Why do you think Tre was not allowed to deal with Flames at all this tdl?

plenty of rumours going around that IMO are true they just won't admit it in the media

Usually I’m some mix of sadness / morose but I’m just angry today

f***ing angry

I am opposite. I was angry and frustrated yesterday

Today, its just abject dejection and sense of hopelessness

But then I take a breath and dust off the shitty feeling and say to myself: "Alright, how do I build for the future, taking calculated risks, not rushing and being patient to achieve the ultimate goal"

Reactions: Cleetus

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
treliving was forced by flames ownership to do that deal. Why do you think Tre was not allowed to deal with Flames at all this tdl?

plenty of rumours going around that IMO are true they just won't admit it in the media

He signed him to a bad contract and then Tkachuk forced the move.

There are a lot of restrictions on a Marner trade as well and it feels forced, that is my concern.

Maybe without being forced, Tre makes a good deal, but I am just saying, that there are a lot of restrictions, and it makes me nervous.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Do people still think we need more toughness to overcome the scoring issue?

Leafs still have the core 4 forwards Dubas signed, tying up half the cap space, who can't score consistently in the playoffs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Does Shanny have little experience? This is like someone working for the same company for 20 years and being hired as VP, not a new hire with no industry experience.

He likely agreed and it was his vision too.
No idea what your point is, but yes Shanny had very little experience when he hired Dubas.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They are still the core 4 forwards Dubas signed, tying up half the cap space, who can't score consistently in the playoffs.

Yes, that is part of the issue, and the solution is not to sign more guys who can't score.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Tough for Rielly to make a play on a full speed winger who has accelerated though 2 zones.

Marner needs to slow him down, and get in the lane. Mo can make the route a little longer with better positioning

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Thought I'd wake up much angrier this morning. Just numb to it all.

The realization that the team I love will never win a cup in my lifetime, is no longer deflating. I'm resigned to the fact that they are a complete waste of time, in what was supposed to be the most exciting era of Leaf hockey, ever.

If we get lucky, the Leafs might win a Cup with Matthews like the way Ovechkin did after endless defeats by the Pens.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He signed him to a bad contract and then Tkachuk forced the move.

There are a lot of restrictions on a Marner trade as well and it feels forced, that is my concern.

Maybe without being forced, Tre makes a good deal, but I am just saying, that there are a lot of restrictions, and it makes me nervous.

Treliving, IMO, is not being forced by MLSE management. Its a billion dollar franchise money is never the issue.

Treliving can easily wait out Marner's contract instead of taking shit in return. Or he could get the same return as Tkachuck and then flip it converting into draft capital. Treliving was forced to sign Huberdeau by flames ownership. Flames ownership was getting involved in hockey decisions and Treliving just wanted out from there. Don't think that is the issue here with the Leafs unless Shanahan is forcing Tre to re-sign Marner. Hopefully new CEO tells Shanahan to F-OFF

I have a hard time beliving that Shanahan would force contracts only reason being Shanny was the guy publicly quoted saying "He expects the young starts to give discounts" during RFA contracts and then Dubas hoodwinnked Shanahan IMO to give massive deals.

Treliving has time and IMO support from the MLSE group. Like I said, based on his post GM meeting interview in Florida; I really think he is going to take his time. Him not throwing away the 1st rounder this year, saying "answers have to come from the locker room" was enough evidence for me that he is going operate in a different manner more so the way I wanted the previous GM (glasses) to operate

Reactions: egd27 and Cleetus

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yes, that is part of the issue, and the solution is not to sign more guys who can't score.

The solution is to move on from Tavares and Marner to free up their cap space for players who will make enough of a difference in the playoffs to win.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad