History of David Legwand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just a random history question for those of you who have been long time Predators followers. I've been following the draft since the early 90s, and I remember 1998 was one of the drafts I really looked forward to, with one of my favorites Vincent Lecavalier going first overall.

At the time there was a bit of a debate as to whether it would be Lecavalier or Legwand who should go first. Lecavalier was projected to be the first overall a couple of years out ever since his monster 16 year old season. Legwand came on more during the draft year, and appeared to be this speed demon sniper who also played center, extremely dynamic, and I imagine not too dissimilar to another Detroit Jr Whalers product that went second overall Tyler Seguin. He was also compared to Mike Modano.

Fast forward nearly 20 years and Legwand is winding down a very long and productive career as a two way checking center, but it's safe to say he didn't quite live up to his draft day projections. This kind of stuff happens all the time, but the Predators don't really have a big share of the NHL limelight in Canada, I can't say I've followed his career too closely. Can someone shed some light on what happened with him, how his career went? Did something hold him back or steer his career in the direction it went?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This thread could get interesting. There are two answers to your question.

1.) Legwand was a constant underachiever who never fulfilled his potential.

2.) Barry Trotz forced him to play a two way game that stifled his offensive ability in favor of making sure he was reliable defensively.

I fall somewhere in the middle but lean closer to the second. But I always liked Leggy and appreciated his career here.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
When paired with guys that could skate with him, like the season he was paired with Kariya and Erat, he was an effective NHL player. A #2 center for sure.

When he played (as most of his time here) with slower, board oriented players-the Smithsons, Wards, etc he did play a more defensive role.

The problem is, he only really played a couple of seasons with true top six talent, guys with speed.

The first 10 years of Legwand would thrive here right now.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
There's also the injury thing in Leggy's case.

Partly it was learning to be a two-way player, partly it was the lack of talent around him during those early years, and partly it was injuries that caused him not to be what he was advertised going into the '98 draft.

That being said, I'd still like to see 11 in the rafters of the Bridge.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
He was kind of the definition of the Nashville Predators during his tenure. Always good, worked hard and got above average results. Was never bad and was never great. Just consistently in the middle somewhere.

You have to admire him for staying so long with the crap he took from fans and media. He's a professional, and I think that if the Preds as a team hadn't been in decline those few years, he'd probably still be in Nashville, but he had a chance to help Detroit so I don't blame the move and Jarnkrok is an okay consolation prize.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
When paired with guys that could skate with him, like the season he was paired with Kariya and Erat, he was an effective NHL player. A #2 center for sure.

When he played (as most of his time here) with slower, board oriented players-the Smithsons, Wards, etc he did play a more defensive role.

The problem is, he only really played a couple of seasons with true top six talent, guys with speed.

The first 10 years of Legwand would thrive here right now.
This

Legwand would be our perfect #2 center now.

Remember he did put up 27 goals and 63 points in the 78 games he played with Kariya in Kariya's first year and was on pace for 56 points in the 2nd year.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I seem to recall in a Tennessean newspaper article towards the end of his run here he said in so many words Trotz made him sorta kinda limit his offensive game.

I loved his game, and I agree he would have been totally different under our present coach. I think if he had the reins off in his prime, surrounded by good talent, he would have been a big star.

But, that is the good and bad of Trotz. Great system to get you so far, but I just don't think his style gets you past the 2nd round when you need more firepower.

BTW, Legwand is still the King of the Empty Net to me.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He was kind of the definition of the Nashville Predators during his tenure. Always good, worked hard and got above average results. Was never bad and was never great. Just consistently in the middle somewhere.

You have to admire him for staying so long with the crap he took from fans and media. He's a professional, and I think that if the Preds as a team hadn't been in decline those few years, he'd probably still be in Nashville, but he had a chance to help Detroit so I don't blame the move and Jarnkrok is an okay consolation prize.

I saw him during a 3 game rehab in Milwaukee. He looked like a push rod hockey center. He showed me nothing other than going up and down the middle of the ice. No shots, no passes, no excitement. The last game, the Milwaukee fans booed him every shift. They felt that there was effort on his part. His knee was supposed to be better so he could go back to Nashville. I was never so disappointed in seeing an NHL player as I was with Legwand. I appreciate his many years of service.

Gabriel Bourque was 3 times the player when he was here for 4 games last season. He smashed the daylights out of the other team all three periods. He passed the puck up the ice like it was a lightning bolt. No points scored, but the other team gave up the puck and maybe a few teeth when he was out there!

Jul 12, 2007
16 full seasons, averages 14 goals per season.

#2 overall.

Bad pick.

14 goal guys get picked in the second round. Really the third.

Was a fine 3rd line center for any pretty good team. Second line C for an expansion team with little else.

Legwand or Daigle ? Not sure.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
16 full seasons, averages 14 goals per season.

#2 overall.

Bad pick.

14 goal guys get picked in the second round. Really the third.

Was a fine 3rd line center for any pretty good team. Second line C for an expansion team with little else.

Legwand or Daigle ? Not sure.

I don't know whether to scream or laugh... please tell me, if you are Preds GM at the 1998 draft, who do you pick at #2?

Hint: There is no other answer than David Legwand.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't know whether to scream or laugh... please tell me, if you are Preds GM at the 1998 draft, who do you pick at #2?

Hint: There is no other answer than David Legwand.

If you haven't noticed, this guy knows far more than any NHL GM. We are lucky he is here to straighten us all out. After all he was on the ORIGINAL preds board....some called it the wild wild west. He called it a walk in the park.

Jul 12, 2007
Legwand did have the OHL numbers. Still a bad pick. Guys who do the picking get paid to uncover the issues / shortfalls......not me. And the GM's get paid to make sure the coaches don't waste their top picks, not me.

Lot of guys with good upside in the '98 first round. Vishnevsky, Brad Stuart, Tanguay, Gagne. Would rather have had any of them. Since Legwand never gave us scoring, shoot, I'd rather have had Scott Parker when fighting mattered. He would have put more fannies in seats, and given us the best at something for a few years.

Ribeiro, lol. Second round.

Jul 12, 2007
If you haven't noticed, this guy knows far more than any NHL GM. We are lucky he is here to straighten us all out. After all he was on the ORIGINAL preds board....some called it the wild wild west. He called it a walk in the park.

Funny, I don't think I'm straightening anybody out. Just my opinions.

But look at who's nasty and crabbing right out of the gate. That would be you.

It always was like that. The guys most desperate to shout everybody down and know it all....always the first to cry "boo-hoo you are so awful".

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

It always was like that. The guys most desperate to shout everybody down and know it all....always the first to cry "boo-hoo you are so awful".

You are in multiple threads telling everybody how we couldn't last in the old days or how doomed we are because we didn't draft a forward that 20 other teams passed on.

Gimme a break. The last thing you'll ever hurt is my feelings. I assure you of that. You'll also see that I rarely directly interact with anyone on the board, so I'm not exactly jumping around "desperate to shout everybody down and know it all" as you eloquently put it.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville

You must have prophetic capabilities. Judging draft picks 18 years later in DIFFERENT ERAS of talent evaluation and the game. It must be nice to be able to predict the future. Can you go away now? I don't think I've seen a non-vitriolic post from you.

Seriously, legwand was the unanimous 2nd OVR pick and the crazies like you would have come out of the woodwork if we did not pick him. Wtf are you talking about man?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Legwand did have the OHL numbers. Still a bad pick. Guys who do the picking get paid to uncover the issues / shortfalls......not me. And the GM's get paid to make sure the coaches don't waste their top picks, not me.

Lot of guys with good upside in the '98 first round. Vishnevsky, Brad Stuart, Tanguay, Gagne. Would rather have had any of them. Since Legwand never gave us scoring, shoot, I'd rather have had Scott Parker when fighting mattered. He would have put more fannies in seats, and given us the best at something for a few years.

Ribeiro, lol. Second round.

Okay, I said you were the Preds GM at the 1998 draft... not a message board poster in 2016 looking back at how everyone's career turned out. 26 other GM's would have taken Legwand at #2.

Jul 12, 2007
Okay, I said you were the Preds GM at the 1998 draft... not a message board poster in 2016 looking back at how everyone's career turned out. 26 other GM's would have taken Legwand at #2.
You know what 26 other GM's were thinking and would have done.

Wow.

Buy me a lottery ticket please.

Jul 12, 2007
You must have prophetic capabilities. Judging draft picks 18 years later in DIFFERENT ERAS of talent evaluation and the game. It must be nice to be able to predict the future. Can you go away now? I don't think I've seen a non-vitriolic post from you.

Seriously, legwand was the unanimous 2nd OVR pick and the crazies like you would have come out of the woodwork if we did not pick him. Wtf are you talking about man?
lol, yeah, "go away". You're telegraphing yourself with that. See an opinion that you don't like.....scream "go away !!!".

And I'm the "vitriolic" one.

It must have been a hoot when a bunch of you guys showed up here, after getting thrown off the other board.

HF honcho - "Hi Guys ! Welcome !"

Preds message board ruling class - "Shuddup ! We're in charge now ! Suspend that guy....ban that guy....make this guy an admin right now !"

HF honcho - "huh ? wut ?"

Preds board royalty - "You shuddup ! Nobody asks us questions !"

HF honcho - "uh...enjoy your probationary poster period........"

Los Importantes - "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA............................."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad