Historical relevance of Kucherov and MacKinnon's 2024 season?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The more I look at things, the less I believe that neither of the seasons being discussed are good parallels. But I also don't believe that the comparison between two different seasons worked. Expected or not, there were, simply put, more outliers this season than last season. I don't see what whether they were expected or not has anything to do with it. With the suggestion that Panarin may be an outlier, that's complicated ever further.

What do you mean by "outlier"? That Panarin also had an unusual spike year? Or that his 1.46 PPG is also a statistical outlier?

If it's the former, Panarin had hit 1.38 twice and was 3rd in PPG from 19/20 to 20/21.

If it's the latter, what is the threshold for determining an "outlier".

That Panarin is being considered an "outlier" at all indicates a flaw in the VsX calculation.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
That invokes the question: If a player like Bernie Nicholls can have such a strong outlier season, why can't a player of Kucherov's calibre? It looks like that is exactly what happened.

However, if scoring is similar at the very top next season, we will either have to upgrade Kucherov and/or MacKinnon... or if different players have such strong outliers, find an explanation as to why that sort of thing is happening more frequently and perhaps account for that in comparison methods.

Hard to say that Kucherov and Nicholls were in the same situation given Wayne's presence. The similarity is that two outlier seasons happened in the same season like this year; one of which was done by a player whose resume/offensive ceiling was similar to Kucherov and MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad