Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Heiskanen
EP
Makar
Patrick
Hischier

I've always liked Hischier over Patrick until recently. He's just not developing like i thought he would and kids like Patrick usually are late bloomers.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
1. Pettersson
2. Heiskanen
3. Nico/Makar
4. Makar/Nico
5. Patrick

Pettersson will be a top 10 player in the NHL for a long time, insanely talented. Makar will probably surpass Nico just need more of a sample size. Heiskanen is the top defenceman from the draft.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Heiskanen
EP
Makar
Patrick
Hischier

I've always liked Hischier over Patrick until recently. He's just not developing like i thought he would and kids like Patrick usually are late bloomers.

There is no argument to have Patrick in the top 4, none.

The consensus at the start of the season was that he was behind Hischier and Makar at the start of the year.

Both guys have been playing well and developing this year, while Patrick is still accumulating rust on IR. The gap is wider now than it was before.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
1. Pettersson
2. Heiskanen
3. Nico/Makar
4. Makar/Nico
5. Patrick

Pettersson will be a top 10 player in the NHL for a long time, insanely talented. Makar will probably surpass Nico just need more of a sample size. Heiskanen is the top defenceman from the draft.
Heiskanen will be the best defenseman in the league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pettersson
Heiskanen
Makar
Hischier

This would be how I'd rank them at present (maybe flip the first two depending on the day you asked me), but in the long run I can see any iteration of those first 3 playing. EP is super sexy, but Heiskanen & Makar are absolutely monstrous talents in their own rights. Cale remains the rawest of that trio -- as he's still going through those rookie year growing pains -- but his peak could well still end up being the highest, once he gets there.

Hischier is really good too, but I just don't see him ending up being as special as those first three; all of whom are just outstanding talents.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Makar can put up all the points he wants, but he's really not close to Heiskanen right now. Miro's 2-way game is far and away better than Makar's right now and likely always will be. Hischier is a level or two below Heiskanen and Makar as well. Makar of course will be close to Miro throughout their careers though, but I'm not sure how you can say a guy that's played like 20 games in his career is "clearly" better than Heiskanen

Miro's also been a lot more polished at every step of the way thus far; so it's tough to say where things will land once both reach their peaks since both of them are just so smart, talented & instinctively committed to taking care of their own end, as a basis on which to build what they can do moving up the ice.

I preferred Heiskanen in that class because he was much more polished defensively at the time of that draft and I loved the craftiness with the puck that he got to flash for his club -- which we saw on full display at the U18s -- so was confident that nurturing his offense was a question of trust/experience & usage, rather than developing a new skillset for him...plus I didn't trust our development staff enough to prefer the riskier project...and he might even be surpassing the expectations I had for him as a prospect -- when I was celebrating our lotto-loss.*

...whereas Cale was extremely raw & despite being convinced that he would make good on that longer development path, it still meant a lot more risk than Heiskanen. However, that risk is mostly behind us now and at this point it really looks like it's just a matter of getting enough reps in NHL games for Cale to make good on his more-explosive-Duncan-Keith ceiling. So Miro's clear advantage against the puck might shrink rapidly over the next couple of years; though I love both of these kids and am convinced that it won't be long at all until they (plus Seth, Hughes, Chabot & whomever else I'm forgetting) are leading the pack trying to chase down Dahlin.

***I'm not saying Miro's done improving himself. Just saying that he had a lot less to learn/work-on/polish than Cale when both were drafted, and he's done a great job of doing so already in the extra NHL time he has received. So his game doesn't have nearly as much room for "easy growth" as Cale's still does, which is why I'm focusing more on Makar's still-remaining-potential than Heiskanen's***

*So don't think I'm trying to downplay how awesome Heiskanen has been...on top of having been a huge Heiskanen fan in his draft year, Rads is my favourite player; so I watch y'all as much as I can & fully appreciate Miro's class.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad