OT: "His career is dead." And yet, He is arisen. [Fourth Line Jesus]

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
First of all, as I'm aware that this may technically be violating the board's rules on religion.

But COME ON.

All the heart and soul we poured into the metaphor, including our very own Holy War :P, for our beloved Fourth Line Jesus.

What more POSSIBLE on-brand ending to a career could there be?

His career was dead, and we paid a premium to have Las Vegas haul off the corpse.

The most divine Saint Louis showed faith in him.

We had all forgotten him, behind the boulder where we left him.

And as the devotees of Saint Louis passed around the Holy Grail, we noticed an oddly familiar face with an oddly familiar schnozz.

And you could hear the crowd chanting "O PROBOSCIS INOBLITE" ('Oh unforgettable nose!', for you philistines in the cheap seats)

And my eyes took in all that I saw, and indeed, it was very good.

His career is dead. And yet, He is arisen.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
How'd he get there? I didn't realise he was technically still on the team :laugh:
Played 1 game this year so won't get on the Cup, but it's cool that he at least got to hoist it

Reactions: AlphaLackey

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For those who didn’t hear Friedman talk about this last night in the post game. Apparently Chris and his wife have an autistic child and in a very kind gesture the Blues recalled Chris from his AHL team to the Blues for one game which activated his NHL medical coverage to help the family out.

Very happy to see Chris lift the cup. Like Matt Hendricks he is the ultimate team guy and obviously incredibly popular in St Louis too.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Thorburn is a delight and I’m grateful that he has had this expierence. His family is an absolute amazing one and by all accounts he’s just as terrific. I’ve only encountered him once in passing but understood in that short moment just why he’s so respected as a “glue guy” in the league.

That being said, just because you have your glue guys doesn’t mean you need to play them. Doesn’t mean you need to even have them in the dressing room if they could be something like player coaches or development staff in Hockey Operations. You can foster a good culture by surrounding the team with good resources and people, it doesn’t have to solely be the people in the room. Again, this is no disrespect to Thorburn, or Hendricks, or whoever - I am only saying that this aspect can be made more through more outside-the-box thinking in a fully developed Hockey Operations department that reflects an actual business model.

Congratulations to Thorburn and his family.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Happy for him he got to at least lift the cup but let's be honest... he didn't win the cup :laugh:

No doubt. If they offered to put my name on it I'd say no (not that he'll be on it, just saying).

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a ring though. I'd take it, but I wouldn't wear it. It'd just be neat to have, same as lifting the Cup.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The game commentators said Thorburn has had a role of pepping the troops in the dressing room, and has been a large part of the team. Apparently he’s also been a leader during the team practices.

I think he was the fourth Blues to raise the cup, so he’s pretty high up in the pecking order. Very good for him and that makes me glad to see.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well this is nice...

For the Twitterblind:
"Not to be lost on last night—14 year vet Chris Thorburn was handed the cup third.
He spent the entire season in the AHL & the Blues recalled him in April.

This allowed his NHL insurance to kick back in & cover expenses for his autistic son, coverage he lost by being sent down."

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Well this is nice...

For the Twitterblind:
"Not to be lost on last night—14 year vet Chris Thorburn was handed the cup third.
He spent the entire season in the AHL & the Blues recalled him in April.

This allowed his NHL insurance to kick back in & cover expenses for his autistic son, coverage he lost by being sent down."

Good guy that Doug Armstrong.

Reactions: sipowicz

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So to be on the ice and in full uniform in order to be third to hoist the Cup, Thorburn must have been dressed for the game, no? But I don't see him in the box score so how does that work?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
So to be on the ice and in full uniform in order to be third to hoist the Cup, Thorburn must have been dressed for the game, no? But I don't see him in the box score so how does that work?

He could've just suited up in his gear to take the ice for the celebration and not been dressed for the game. IIRC Chara did that earlier in the playoffs when was an injured scratch

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I just hope his name gets on the cup.

He can't. They have rules to stop every black ace from getting their name put on.

Players appearing in 41 regular-season games for the championship team or in one Stanley Cup final game for that team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

Only one name has been added to the Cup against the rules over the years. When the Edmonton Oilers won their first championship in 1984, owner Peter Pocklington included his father's name, Basil Pocklington, among the names engraved. It was later scratched out with a series of Xs.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg

All the black aces get dressed in the 3rd period and come out for the cup celebration. Happens every year.

Reactions: Duke749

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He can't. They have rules to stop every black ace from getting their name put on.

Players appearing in 41 regular-season games for the championship team or in one Stanley Cup final game for that team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

Only one name has been added to the Cup against the rules over the years. When the Edmonton Oilers won their first championship in 1984, owner Peter Pocklington included his father's name, Basil Pocklington, among the names engraved. It was later scratched out with a series of Xs.

Oilers have always brought toxic...

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
First of all, as I'm aware that this may technically be violating the board's rules on religion.

But COME ON.

All the heart and soul we poured into the metaphor, including our very own Holy War :P, for our beloved Fourth Line Jesus.

What more POSSIBLE on-brand ending to a career could there be?

His career was dead, and we paid a premium to have Las Vegas haul off the corpse.

The most divine Saint Louis showed faith in him.

We had all forgotten him, behind the boulder where we left him.

And as the devotees of Saint Louis passed around the Holy Grail, we noticed an oddly familiar face with an oddly familiar schnozz.

And you could hear the crowd chanting "O PROBOSCIS INOBLITE" ('Oh unforgettable nose!', for you philistines in the cheap seats)

And my eyes took in all that I saw, and indeed, it was very good.

His career is dead. And yet, He is arisen.

Hallelujah, pass the bottle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad