Proposal: Hire Paul McLean/Phil Housley

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
As a Jets fan, I'd be interested in hiring Paul McLean or Phil Housley as an assistant coach should they be available (they might get a head coaching gig this summer).

Both have WPG Jets 1.0 ties, both could be head coaches waiting in the wings should Maurice falter and both have excellent special teams which the Jets really need. Time to move on from Huddy and Flahretty and one of these two would be a solution to half of that equation.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Pretty sure we just hired an assistant for the power play last year. And Chevy said there will be no coaching changes. We can speculate all we want. But if there's no chance we make any coaching changes does this thread have any significance?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Pretty sure we just hired an assistant for the power play last year. And Chevy said there will be no coaching changes. We can speculate all we want. But if there's no chance we make any coaching changes does this thread have any significance?

Speculation and discussion is what a discussion forum is for. Given that none of us (that I know of ;)) have any direct influence over what TNSE does, we'd have to shutter the place if we couldn't speculate.

The thread is fine. People can click on the X if they want to ignore the thread:

ysVhL5h.png

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
There will need to be coaching changes, but I'm resigned to the idea that they will just push that ball down the road

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Wasn't Paul MacLean why the Ducks' PP sky rocketed in recent years?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Housley is currently an assistant coach. He is linked in rumours to the Buffalo head coaching job. I don't think he's available for a lateral move to become a Jets assistant coach. I doubt Nashville is about to fire him.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
sigh

There's 100+ assistant coaches around the league, at least 50+ up and coming guys at AHL and CHL levels, another 30+ plying their trade in Europe and probably around 15 unemployed former head/assistant coaches.

The only thing that makes these two stand out relative to that bunch is that they're former Jets.

Which, incidentally, says nothing about the likelihood they'd actually improve our team.
:facepalm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wasn't Paul MacLean why the Ducks' PP sky rocketed in recent years?

Yes I posted this in another thread but the Ducks in 2014-15 combined PK-PP was 25th best in the NHL blended.....MacLean was brought in to run the special teams under Boudreau and in 2015-16 the Ducks were #1 in the league in PK-PP combined. Last season they dipped to 9th place in the NHL combined.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
man I would love to see us replace huddy with housely

I've seen posts here indicating that Housley is high on the list of potential new head coaches. MacLean is probably on that list to. I'd leap at the 2 of them as assistants. Or either one as a head coach.

It isn't happening this year though. Not likely they are available when it does happen here.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Why is there always this pull to incorporate Jet retreads into the coaching or front office.
She's moved on so should we

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Why is there always this pull to incorporate Jet retreads into the coaching or front office.
Housley would be far from a retread. He was a brilliant defenseman and has a short, but very successful career coaching young players, including the American WJC Gold medal team and Nashville's very impressive defense.
He would be just what this young Jets team needs, especially the defence....but I don't see it happening.:(

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Because in this case these coaches actually are good at what we'd be bringing them in for. MacLean is a very good special teams coach and Housley has done an excellent job with Nashville's defense.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Honestly, what has Paul MacLean proven as a HC? How is he an improvement over what we have? I'd be interested in having him as an Ass Coach, but not HC.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Honestly, what has Paul MacLean proven as a HC? How is he an improvement over what we have? I'd be interested in having him as an Ass Coach, but not HC.

Jack Adams finalist in his first two seasons as an NHL head coach, and a top 10 possession team in each of the three full seasons he coached.

His resume is short, but impressive. I'll take him over the proven mediocre coach we currently have behind the bench.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Anyway, it's not going to happen. Fully expect MacLean to fill one of the vacancies in Buffalo or Florida.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Anyway, it's not going to happen. Fully expect MacLean to fill one of the vacancies in Buffalo or Florida.

I think Housley ends up in Buffalo. Just a guess. So that leaves MacLean to Florida. Both teams get better with coaching upgrades. We get better in spite of coaching.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think Housley ends up in Buffalo. Just a guess. So that leaves MacLean to Florida. Both teams get better with coaching upgrades. We get better in spite of coaching.

Sadly, I think Paul Maurice is the coaching equivalent of a buffer solution. Add in talent or scrubs, the results never vary much off neutral.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I'll pass rather the next coach pick his entire staff. Hopefully soon !

I wouldn't even mind if the current coach got to pick his own staff since he inherited Charlie and Wade.

However it is pretty obvious there are no major coaching changes coming this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad