Highly rated prospects who flourished after being traded from their 1st team? "Bust!"

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Jason Allison didn't do well in Washington but then had a good success in Boston.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
eric dejardins and john leclair

Definitely not Desjardins who played in a Canada Cup while with Montreal. Leclair is debateable in that he was neither highly-hyped nor considered a 'bust' when he was dealt.

Joe Murphy was considered a mammoth bust in Detroit, became a very good (albeit selfish and mercenary) player in Edmonton and Chicago.

Gilbert Brule isn't a 'star' in Edmonton but has shaken off the 'bust' label he had in Columbus.

Daniel Briere was a #1 pick in Phoenix, waived by them at one point, then became a star in Buffalo.

Dan Cleary completely redeemed his career after getting traded to Detroit.

Robert Lang wasn't a first-rounder, but he was really hyped in LA when he first came over to North America, flopped completely, and didn't establish himself as a solid NHL player until his late 20s.

Doug Wickenheiser might have joined this category if he didn't ruin his career falling out of a truck when he was heading toward a 30-goal season.

Martin Gelinas never really lived up to the Gretzky trade hype in Edmonton, was waived by the Nordiques, but turned in multiple 30-goal seasons in Vancouver and went on to an excellent 20-year career.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Rick Vaive. The Canucks couldn't get rid of him fast enough. Vaive flourished with the Leafs, enjoying three straight fifty goal seasons. If memory serves, the Canucks played through the entire eighties without a fifty goal player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rick Vaive. The Canucks couldn't get rid of him fast enough. Vaive flourished with the Leafs, enjoying three straight fifty goal seasons. If memory serves, the Canucks played through the entire eighties without a fifty goal player.

It was a *brutal* trade, but I don't think it fits this category.

Vaive was in the middle of a 22-goal rookie season when he was traded for Tiger Williams when the Canucks felt they needed a roster shakeup. I don't think anyone thought he was a 'bust' when he was dealt. Hell, he was only Canuck property for about 6 months.

To me, he was just a young player stupidly traded away in a bad deal. Tony Tanti would fit the same description in a similar deal when traded to Vancouver by Chicago. I think the OP is looking for guys who foundered in an organization for 2 or 3 years as opposed to guys traded away at age 20 when they were still highly-touted.

_________

From the 1979 draft, Laurie Boschman would definitely fit the bill, though - struggled with Toronto and Edmonton, broke out into an excellent player when traded to Winnipeg.

Dave Gagner was a washout in several years in the Rangers' system, then turned into an All-Star with 6 consecutive 30-goal seasons after being shipped to Minnesota in a nothing deal.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
Joe Thornton sort of...

Thornton's points per game page with Boston prior to the trade was 1.43 (33 points in 23 games). After the trade to San Jose it rose to 1.59 (92 in 58). If he had maintained a pace of 1.43 in Boston, that prorates to 117 points. He still would have finished second in the league by a margin of 11 points. Additionally, he had scored 101 points 2 seasons prior and was just under a point per game the year before the lockout. Bad example.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Definitely not Desjardins who played in a Canada Cup while with Montreal. Leclair is debateable in that he was neither highly-hyped nor considered a 'bust' when he was dealt.

Joe Murphy was considered a mammoth bust in Detroit, became a very good (albeit selfish and mercenary) player in Edmonton and Chicago.

Gilbert Brule isn't a 'star' in Edmonton but has shaken off the 'bust' label he had in Columbus.

Daniel Briere was a #1 pick in Phoenix, waived by them at one point, then became a star in Buffalo.

Dan Cleary completely redeemed his career after getting traded to Detroit.

Robert Lang wasn't a first-rounder, but he was really hyped in LA when he first came over to North America, flopped completely, and didn't establish himself as a solid NHL player until his late 20s.

Doug Wickenheiser might have joined this category if he didn't ruin his career falling out of a truck when he was heading toward a 30-goal season.

Martin Gelinas never really lived up to the Gretzky trade hype in Edmonton, was waived by the Nordiques, but turned in multiple 30-goal seasons in Vancouver and went on to an excellent 20-year career.

He was never a bust in LA, just never got the chance to play real minutes. It's hard to do well when you play on a bad teams fourth and competing with guys like Gretzky, Carson, Ferraro and Kristich for quality minutes. I would rather say that he was a talent who rarely got a fair shot until he was traded.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It was a *brutal* trade, but I don't think it fits this category.

Vaive was in the middle of a 22-goal rookie season when he was traded for Tiger Williams when the Canucks felt they needed a roster shakeup. I don't think anyone thought he was a 'bust' when he was dealt. Hell, he was only Canuck property for about 6 months.

To me, he was just a young player stupidly traded away in a bad deal. Tony Tanti would fit the same description in a similar deal when traded to Vancouver by Chicago. I think the OP is looking for guys who foundered in an organization for 2 or 3 years as opposed to guys traded away at age 20 when they were still highly-touted.

Fair comment. I wasn't intending to imply Vaive was a "bust", rather that he was traded with indecent haste. You're right, my creaking brain doesn't seem properly to have digested the OP's point.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Phil Esposito
John Bucyk
Bernard Parent (that case is a little ... special)

To whoever said Desjardins : A guy who wins a Cup as the 1st D of his first team, and then doesn't win a Cup with his second team....???!?!?!?

Dominik Hasek ...

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
JJ Daigneault. Highly touted in Vancouver for a while but did nothing of note.

Came to Montreal, couldn't play defense, got sent down to AHL for quite a while. Came back and partnered with Desjardins on a regular basis. Wasn't the offensive force he was predicted to be, but still had a few good years in Mtl and a cup.

Last edited:

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
A few others

Darryl Sydor

Brendan Shanahan - Not that he looked like a bust, but he really blossomed once he moved on to St.Louis

Adam Creighton - drafted 2 spots behind Cam Neely

Bobby Dollas - 3 spots later. From what looked like a career minor leaguer to over 600 NHL games

Mark Hunter - from an injury-prone 3rd-4th liner in Mtl to a first liner in St-L

Brian Rolston - never looked like a 30 goal scorer in NJ, although I wouldn’t say he was floundering

Glen Murray

Daymond Langkow

Matt Carkner - no star, just a feel good story, for a guy who was given up for dead, drafted as a second rounder, played 1 NHL game in his first 8 years pro. Now he’s a regular.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Can you really say Neely played mediocre, though? The guy was a 1983 draft pick, and got to play 3 seasons with Vancouver, two of them as a teenager. How good should he have been?

That was just classic impatience.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Keith Primeau wasnt a bust in Detroit he just wasnt better than Yzerman and Fedorov.

Dave Gagner (although you could argue it was a maturity thing like seventies pointed out)

Toni Tanti

Greg Paslawski

Might fit into the category.

disregard this. Missed out on "Highly rated prospects".

Last edited:

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Mikka Kiprusoff in San Jose was average but in Calgary is one of the best in the world

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
The best goalie ever, Hasek! Was outstanding 3 straight years in Czechoslovakia before NHL and everyone should have recognized his greatness.

/cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad