Highest Potential : Hagens, McKenna, Dupont or Schultz?

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Trying to get some feedback on 4 players I've been seeing an insane amount of hype for in James Hagens (2025), Gavin McKenna (26), Landon Dupont (27) & Maddox Schultz (28).

Curious who has the most upside, or even how they could be ranked in terms of upside? I know it's a way out but I'm seeing a lot of discussion on all 4 of these guys (I've seen the first 3, not Schultz) and I'm curious who has the likelihood of being the best, and who's 1st to 4th?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How many have seen all four play?

Between the two oldest, I think Hagens has slightly more upside because he’s a center that is good defensively, yet McKenna has slightly more scoring ability. Not a lot of difference between the two of who is better.

Reactions: Oak and wetcoast

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Landon Dupont. If McKenna was a centre it’d be him, but he’s only a winger and will end up similarly to Taylor Hall.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Out of the 2023 (Bedard), 2024 (Celebrini), 2025 (Hagens), 2026 (McKenna), and 2027 (DuPont) drafts, I suspect Hagens will be the weakest 1OA pick.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I've only read their threads on here but Dupont is probably the best asset if he continues his trajectory. Big RHD that's elite at everything

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
This is a great idea I’m just gonna promote all my twitter posts on HF

Jokes aside, I’ve seen lots of footage of Hagens and McKenna, only clips of Dupont and nothing aside from stats on Schultz. Hard to compare a 17 year old to a 13 year old but I’m not sold on Hagens as much as I am on McKenna and Dupont. We have seen lots of defensive prodigies unravel as development happens due to defensive awareness, strength and other factors being more pertinent as they grow into late teens so I can’t have full confidence in Dupont yet. Looks amazing though so far.

I’ll saw for fun even though it’s hard to compare
McKenna
Dupont
Schultz
Hagens

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Landon Dupont. If McKenna was a centre it’d be him, but he’s only a winger and will end up similarly to Taylor Hall.
Dupont has to prove the ability to play at least average D against older and better players before he can be in the conversation with guys like Hagens and McKenna.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Schultz and Dupont are too young to even project. They could both not even go in the first round of their drafts for all we know.

I'll take Mckenna over Hagens by a little bit.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Mckenna or Hagens.

The other two are too young to compare. They're looking very promising, but so were Raty, Kiviharju, Wright, etc. Some players peak fast against their age groups, which makes them look really good, but as everyone else improves, they remain the same. Obviously they are talented and I'm not expecting them to stay stagnant, but I don't think its fair to compare prospects 3 years apart in age.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m not convinced in anyway at this point that Hagens is the #1 overall next year. Might be a hot take, but think I would actually prefer to draft Logan Hensler.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not convinced in anyway at this point that Hagens is the #1 overall next year. Might be a hot take, but think I would actually prefer to draft Logan Hensler.
Hensler doesn’t have the offense for 1OA. He’s like Reinbacher level.

Hagens is getting a lot of crap overall in recent months and I don’t understand it. He’s been by far the best player on a very disappointing and frankly not that talented team all season. Was also the MVP at the AAPG away from the NTDP.

Reactions: wetcoast and Oak

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Hagens is getting a lot of crap overall in recent months and I don’t understand it.
Cause he didn’t make the world Junior team maybe? I don’t know I haven’t seen him live since u18 but the numbers wouldn’t suggest any regression or anything. I think he’s a good but not amazing 1st overall candidate amongst other 1st overall picks’ pre draft profile

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cause he didn’t make the world Junior team maybe? I don’t know I haven’t seen him live since u18 but the numbers wouldn’t suggest any regression or anything. I think he’s a good but not amazing 1st overall candidate amongst other 1st overall picks’ pre draft profile
I think it's that whole 18's NTDP group this year. Who has risen a lot this year? Seems like there's negativity about everyone, and all the negativity that might have deservedly been placed towards some players and the fact that it isn't the best squad overall is seeping over to ones that shouldn't get it.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
On pure potential/upside I'd go 1-Dupont 2-McKenna 3-Hagens 4-Schultz

Dupont should get exceptional and looking like a Makar level potential(except better defensively), McKenna is so insanely smart that could be a Kucherov, Hagens has more risk but reminds me of Zegras(both good and bad) and Schultz is 4th mostly because still too far out but trending well and on Yager/Catton level coming out of Bantam. Catton is 2nd for me this draft and Yager was 4th just for reference

• Haha
Reactions: Dominance and Oak

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I think it's that whole 18's NTDP group this year. Who has risen a lot this year? Seems like there's negativity about everyone, and all the negativity that might have deservedly been placed towards some players and the fact that it isn't the best squad overall is seeping over to ones that shouldn't get it.
I dont believe that Hagens is 1st overal material, but I still really like him as a prospect and agree with you that he is getting unnecessary flack.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People should be very skeptical of any player before they actually play in the CHL or a comparable league (USNTDP/USHL, etc.)

There's a long list of kids highly hyped at like 13/14 because they reached puberty earlier, and are basically little firehydrents on ice such as Jake Wise, Adam Mascherin, etc. Projecting kids before they make that jump in their 16 year old season tends to be an exercise in futility. There is a very long list of next ones who never came close.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

Hagens is getting a lot of crap overall in recent months and I don’t understand it. He’s been by far the best player on a very disappointing and frankly not that talented team all season. Was also the MVP at the AAPG away from the NTDP.
I like Hensler’s potential. It’s happens often that a player on the USNTDP doesn’t seem to have great offensive upside and they go on to tear it up in college. He has got great raw tools.

Sure, Hagens is good. But, I’m haven’t seen a first overall player-type talent. That might change next year. But, I just don’t see it.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015

Because there's not a lot to be excited about, small, old for his draft year, fewer tools, and lower production than his peers. Being crushed by size+skill is a huge deal when his selling point is he "plays the right way".

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because there's not a lot to be excited about, small, old for his draft year, fewer tools, and lower production than his peers. Being crushed by size+skill is a huge deal when his selling point is he "plays the right way".
You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

His stats are not lower than his peers. That is demonstrably not true.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

His stats are not lower than his peers. That is demonstrably not true.
His stats are lower than his peers, in most cases it is significant, Most of the 1st overall or strong 2nd overall American forwards were scoring at a higher rate a year out from their draft, the only exception I see is Fantilli who went 3rd in a strong draft. Fantilli having much better tools and scoring at a high rate in the NCAA.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
People should be very skeptical of any player before they actually play in the CHL or a comparable league (USNTDP/USHL, etc.)

There's a long list of kids highly hyped at like 13/14 because they reached puberty earlier, and are basically little firehydrents on ice such as Jake Wise, Adam Mascherin, etc. Projecting kids before they make that jump in their 16 year old season tends to be an exercise in futility. There is a very long list of next ones who never came close.
Yeah it's completely pointless to speculate at this point, I would wager McKenna if I had to , based solely on the fact that he's already been dominant as a late born 16yo in the whl. But we actually have no idea

The closer you are to playing int he NHL the less muddy the projection, like you said the list of dominant 12-14 year olds is a mile long.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad