Higher PPG in playoffs than regular season?

A1

Everything is awful
Oct 15, 2005
Montreal, Qc
So the TSN article on Doug Gilmour getting in to the HHOF mentions that he has higher ppg in playoffs than regular season.

"He is part of an exclusive group of players who averaged more points per game during the playoffs (1.15) than the regular season (.96)"

Who are the other players who have done this?

One guess from me would be Claude Lemieux.

ssh

May 22, 2008
Jude Drouin is a personal favourite in this category (0.94 vs 0.68 ppg).

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
If the numbers I'm looking at are correct, John Tucker 0.66 regular season to 0.90 playoffs

There is probably going to be some random players in this thread.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Barry Pederson somewhat famously has the third highest playoff PPG (~1.5) for players with over 50 games played. He ended up scoring less than a PPG over his regular season career.

One thing to remember though, a guy like Messier also has a significantly high Playoff PPG than Reg. season, but a big reason for that is he missed the playoffs 7 years in a row at the tail of his career. That obviously causes his reg. PPG fall without touching his Playoff PPG. To me, a guy like Beliveau keeping his playoff PPG ever so slightly higher than his regular season PPG is more impressive, as he played in the playoffs every year save one in his career.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Barry Pederson somewhat famously has the third highest playoff PPG (~1.5) for players with over 50 games played. He ended up scoring less than a PPG over his regular season career.

One thing to remember though, a guy like Messier also has a significantly high Playoff PPG than Reg. season, but a big reason for that is he missed the playoffs 7 years in a row at the tail of his career. That obviously causes his reg. PPG fall without touching his Playoff PPG. To me, a guy like Beliveau keeping his playoff PPG ever so slightly higher than his regular season PPG is more impressive, as he played in the playoffs every year save one in his career.

While you are right, I think both Messier and Leetch were still members of this exclusive club before their ugly habit of missing the playoffs came about.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
Jari Kurri:
RS-1.118 PPG
PO-1.165 PPG
RS-0.480 GPG
PO-0.530 GPG

Alexander Ovechkin:
RS-1.292 PPG
PO-1.351 PPG