OT: Hi, my name is...

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I was thinking that it would be a nice idea to have a thread where we can get to know each other a bit more and hopefully create a better atmosphere to post. I think understanding people on a bit more on a personal level will help to keep conversations more civil and productive.

So this thread would just be somewhere to introduce yourself and talk about who you are and what you do.

I’ll start it off:
I’m Josh. Just turned 35. I’m Australian but I moved to Vancouver in 2008 and have been a Canucks fan ever since. I moved to where I live now in Southern California but still watch all Canucks games through my NHL.TV subscription and listen to way too much TSN1040. Got my BA in economics from UCLA in 2015. Favorite TV show is Seinfeld; favorite movie is Step Brothers. Kangaroos fan in AFL. Patriots fan. Liverpool fan.

Let’s see how we go! Cheers.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I was thinking that it would be a nice idea to have a thread where we can get to know each other a bit more and hopefully create a better atmosphere to post. I think understanding people on a bit more on a personal level will help to keep conversations more civil and productive.

So this thread would just be somewhere to introduce yourself and talk about who you are and what you do.

I’ll start it off:
I’m Josh. Just turned 35. I’m Australian but I moved to Vancouver in 2008 and have been a Canucks fan ever since. I moved to where I live now in Southern California but still watch all Canucks games through my NHL.TV subscription and listen to way too much TSN1040. Got my BA in economics from UCLA in 2015. Favorite TV show is Seinfeld; favorite movie is Step Brothers. Kangaroos fan in AFL. Patriots fan. Liverpool fan.

Let’s see how we go! Cheers.

We're done here

Reactions: Son of Petter

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Sometimes I wander.... what is this world coming to? Then I stumble across a community of angry pixels and turn back, for I've ventured too far, and wandered too long. And I've forgotten my name.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My name is Kapil. I’m 37.

I’ve been living in Shanghai China since November 2015, and have been working as a business lecturer. I teach 100 and a few 200 level courses. Before that I worked in Telecommunication Sales for Shaw in Vancouver from about 2003-2008. I got my Masters degree in International Management. After that, I worked in Telecom Sales for 3 more years (2 more in Vancouver, 1 in Lethbridge), before getting a corporate job at Rogers in Toronto. Worked there from the October 2012 to October 2015.

Other than hockey, I like playing and watching tennis, watching movies, watching wrestling and MMA on occasion, sightseeing, playing chess, running, and working out.

I plan to live in Saudi Arabia for a few years before moving to UAE where I’d live and work on a permanent basis. Still deciding whether I want to go back to school and get a Doctorate degree or not (likely won’t do a PhD).

Few interesting facts about me:

-I was in attendance for the Gold Medal hockey game between Canada and USA.
-I’ve been to almost every single CFL stadium to watch a BC Lions game, except Winnipeg and Ottawa.
- I plan to take a trip from Shanghai to Vancouver one day by taking a train to the Eastern most point of Russia, crossing the Beiring Streit, going to Anchorage, visiting Whitehorse, taking a boat to the Queen Charlotte Islands, taking a boat to Vancouver Island, driving to Nanaimo, and then taking a ferry to Vancouver.

Last edited:

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
I live in London (UK) now and have for four years. Most commonly people find out I'm Canadian and ask "oh, which part? Toronto?" and I say "No" and they say "Oh" and then there's that awkward moment where they realise they don't know any other part of Canada. I usually help them out by saying "Vancouver" which is not technically true but close enough, and they indicate some vague recognition which may or may not be genuine. Then they ask if I like Drake.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Do you guys hate the time difference for watching Canucks games? When I’m back in Oz I really want to watch the games live but when they start in the middle of the day or morning it’s hard to do if I’m working.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Do you guys hate the time difference for watching Canucks games? When I’m back in Oz I really want to watch the games live but when they start in the middle of the day or morning it’s hard to do if I’m working.

I usually watched the condensed YouTube version of the games while listening to some clips/interviews on Team 1040.

Reactions: Slads

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I live in London (UK) now and have for four years. Most commonly people find out I'm Canadian and ask "oh, which part? Toronto?" and I say "No" and they say "Oh" and then there's that awkward moment where they realise they don't know any other part of Canada. I usually help them out by saying "Vancouver" which is not technically true but close enough, and they indicate some vague recognition which may or may not be genuine. Then they ask if I like Drake.
Sounds exactly the same for Australians except swap Toronto for Sydney, Vancouver for Melbourne, and Drake for kangaroos.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Howdy ho.

I'm Jaakko from Finland. I used to work in IT and now am working as what I think you guys call a licensed massage therapist.

Started following Canucks in the 90s because of Bure and the -94 run. Following in Finland was limited to high lights from the week every saturday. Then I did something naughtin in the 2000s. Hockey torrent sites became a thing and I suddenly was able to follow pretty much all the Nuck games I wanted!

Dont worry! Now I have NHL.tv.

With my job I mostly work evenings. So my mornings look like this:

32314039_10215777241293536_8012128217852805120_n.jpg

A cup of joe and a hockey game from last night (before spoilers).

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Howdy ho.

I'm Jaakko from Finland. I used to work in IT and now am working as what I think you guys call a licensed massage therapist.

Started following Canucks in the 90s because of Bure and the -94 run. Following in Finland was limited to high lights from the week every saturday. Then I did something naughtin in the 2000s. Hockey torrent sites became a thing and I suddenly was able to follow pretty much all the Nuck games I wanted!

Dont worry! Now I have NHL.tv.

With my job I mostly work evenings. So my mornings look like this:

32314039_10215777241293536_8012128217852805120_n.jpg

A cup of joe and a hockey game from last night (before spoilers).
I work with a Swedish guy and we always tell him how much better Finnish meatballs are than Swedish ones. He doesn’t appreciate it. I’m sure you would concur with us.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I think this is a good idea, humanising and context I think are helpful for productive discussion.

I’m Simon, I am Canadian but hadn’t lived there since birth until I went to Vancouver for university in 2004. I liked hockey before but really caught the bug after the lockout season. I now live in Hong Kong and try watch most games on NHL.tv. I mostly come here as it s one of the best ways to keep track of the prospects and there is some good analysis of the farm team and the Canucks during the season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I work with a Swedish guy and we always tell him how much better Finnish meatballs are than Swedish ones. He doesn’t appreciate it. I’m sure you would concur with us.

Im not that big of a fan of the meaty ballsees. But I appreciate the notion. :D

Reactions: Slads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad