HHOF display puts Bettman's name on a Jets HC jersey

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
pretty sure it was a gift,

DocP4v_WkAAkUVL.jpg

and if you dig, you can find other pictures of him wearing jerseys from other Heritage Classic games. My guess is he gets one from every game. Is that a LEGO Stanley Cup? Gotta get one of those.

Probably the nicest one he had. Better to go in the HHOF wearing the Jets colors than this abomination...

classicjersey.jpg
This picture of Bettman is foreshadowing what's going to happen this season , it's a picture of Bettman a Jets jersey and the Stanley Cup . :nod:

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I believe he was undrafted
Yup, according to Wiki he went undrafted and broke into the NHL with the Calgary Flames org...
The NHL offers St. Louis anticipated never materialized as teams lost interest in him. Only the Ottawa Senators offered him a tryout prior to the 1997–98 NHL season. When they released him, St. Louis signed a two-year contract with the Cleveland Lumberjacks of the International Hockey League (IHL) that included a clause allowing him to leave the team if offered an NHL contract. He had 50 points in 56 games for Cleveland, catching the attention of the Calgary Flames, who signed him to a contract on February 18, 1998. He was assigned to their then American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Saint John Flames, where he scored 26 points in 25 regular season games. He then added 20 points in 20 playoff games as Saint John reached the Calder Cup finals, losing in six games to the Philadelphia Phantoms.

St. Louis earned a spot on the Calgary roster to begin the 1998–99 season and made his NHL debut on October 9, 1998, against the San Jose Sharks. He scored his first goal on October 20 against Dallas Stars' goaltender Roman Turek. He began the season playing with Calgary's top forward, Theoren Fleury, but was quickly demoted to the fourth line, and often sat out of the lineup. He appeared in only 13 games in Calgary, spending the majority of the season in Saint John where he led the AHL squad with 28 goals and 62 points. He began the 1999–2000 season with Saint John, but earned a recall to Calgary after scoring 26 points in 17 games. St. Louis completed his first full NHL season with 3 goals and 18 points in 56 games. Pleased with his progress, general manager Al Coates picked up St. Louis' contract option for the 2000–01 season. However, the organization fired Coates and his staff that summer and the new management team was not interested in retaining St. Louis. The Flames exposed him in the 2000 NHL Expansion Draft, but after he went unselected, the team bought out his contract and made him an unrestricted free agent.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
So is 16 a combination of “96” when the Jets left and “11” when the team came back? “16”:rolleyes:

Nice to see Jets stuff in the Hall. Be even nicer when Bettman hands the Cup to Wheels.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Jets 1.0 were probably gone from Winnipeg in the mid-90s no matter who was the commissioner back then.

IMO, Jets 1.0 were doomed as soon as the City of Winnipeg decided to renovate the Arena rather than accepting the Federal and Provincial money that was already there for a new arena.

They still might have had to go but they would have had a fighting chance. I believe it was touch and go in both Edmonton and Calgary too but they at least had the ticket sales to get them through the worst of those times.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO, Jets 1.0 were doomed as soon as the City of Winnipeg decided to renovate the Arena rather than accepting the Federal and Provincial money that was already there for a new arena.

They still might have had to go but they would have had a fighting chance. I believe it was touch and go in both Edmonton and Calgary too but they at least had the ticket sales to get them through the worst of those times.
Winnipeg Enterprises owning the Arena would've been a huge issue anyway, even if they built a new arena in 1979. I don't think the plan at that point was to build anything with a bunch of public money and then hand it over to the Jets.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Winnipeg Enterprises owning the Arena would've been a huge issue anyway, even if they built a new arena in 1979. I don't think the plan at that point was to build anything with a bunch of public money and then hand it over to the Jets.

Definitely not. :laugh:

But Jets 1.0 averaged about 13,300 attendance in that old barn and ticket prices were not very high either. In a new, modern 16,500 seat arena they probably would have sold out at least much of the time. That would have supported higher ticket prices. That increased revenue would have allowed them to hang on until things like revenue sharing and the salary cap came along and the $C strengthened.

It was a perfect storm of untenable situations at the time. With a stronger base of support they may also have been able to attract stronger local ownership. Impossible to say with certainty what might have happened but there would have at least been a possibility of survival.

As it was, I couldn't blame Bettman for the business failure of the Jets. And I really can't blame him for 'not lifting a finger' either, much as I might like to. The circumstances by '96 were just impossible. There was nothing he could have done that would have worked.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I remember going to 7-11 and getting 7 dollar tickets , waaaay up in those horrible upper deck seats , man those steps were steep . Then waiting until about 10 minutes into the game and moving to some prime lower seats , ahh the good old days . :laugh:

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
It's very odd , are they trying to show that Bettman brought NHL hockey back to Winnipeg or something ?

You'd think if that were the case the number would be the year they returned.

So is 16 a combination of “96” when the Jets left and “11” when the team came back? “16”:rolleyes:

Nice to see Jets stuff in the Hall. Be even nicer when Bettman hands the Cup to Wheels.

Number of years between Jets 1.0 leaving and Jets 2.0 returning - 16 seasons.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad