HHOF display puts Bettman's name on a Jets HC jersey

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
15yvrx4.jpg

It's just so odd... I don't know what to think.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's very odd , are they trying to show that Bettman brought NHL hockey back to Winnipeg or something ?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
They should get that Team Canada Brodeur jersey off the damn floor too! I'm just as offended by that as I am seeing Bettman's name on a Jets jersey.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
15yvrx4.jpg

It's just so odd... I don't know what to think.
I think you're missing the context of the placards behind the jerseys. The one on the far left is about Marty St. Louis so his jersey is in front of it, and the one on the far right is about Bettman. I'm guessing that the text on Bettman's placard mentions the return of the Jets and/or the Heritage Classic game as his accomplishments. Regardless, his name on any Jets jersey certainly does leave a bad taste in my mouth...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think you're missing the context of the placards behind the jerseys. The one on the far left is about Marty St. Louis so his jersey is in front of it, and the one on the far right is about Bettman. I'm guessing that the text on Bettman's placard mentions the return of the Jets and/or the Heritage Classic game as his accomplishments. Regardless, his name on any Jets jersey certainly does leave a bad taste in my mouth...
I think the Jets 1.0 were probably gone from Winnipeg in the mid-90s no matter who was the commissioner back then.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
As much as it makes me mad to see, it's also funny considering he relocated the Jets. It's almost like when Mayor's of teams wear the winning teams' jersey.

Arizona or Vegas would've made more sense.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think the Jets 1.0 were probably gone from Winnipeg in the mid-90s no matter who was the commissioner back then.

No way - the league didn't lift a finger to save the team. They did however come up with the Canadian stabilization fund a year or two later which helped save Edmonton and maybe others. I happily blame Bettman for that

However, the debt is repaid in full when the Jets returned.

Reactions: AlphaLackey and GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You're joking, but that's probably it. They're nice clean lines, almost generic looking from the back, but definitely sharp looking.
Yeah...I think the Jets leaving in the first place was a black eye for the league. Canada's where the heart of the game is, where hockey is number 1. I understand we were a small market with no new arena on the horizon, and the league was chasing the big US TV deal unicorn, but even Bettman could see it was an injustice. He's just an instrument of the owners - and there was still bad blood about the WHA even then (I don't think it's a coincidence that 75% of the 1979-80 WHA franchises that joined the league are no longer in their original locations...and Edmonton came pretty darn close to moving too).

Anyway, he eventually did the right thing in paving the way for the return of the NHL to Winnipeg...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
pretty sure it was a gift,

DocP4v_WkAAkUVL.jpg

and if you dig, you can find other pictures of him wearing jerseys from other Heritage Classic games. My guess is he gets one from every game. Is that a LEGO Stanley Cup? Gotta get one of those.

Probably the nicest one he had. Better to go in the HHOF wearing the Jets colors than this abomination...

classicjersey.jpg

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
pretty sure it was a gift,

DocP4v_WkAAkUVL.jpg

and if you dig, you can find other pictures of him wearing jerseys from other Heritage Classic games. My guess is he gets one from every game. Is that a LEGO Stanley Cup? Gotta get one of those.

Looks like he keeps his Jets jersey in his arts-and-crafts room. Maybe he had to give it away to make room for a new shipment of BeDazzler beads.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks it's cool that the Jets are represented like that?

I'm mixed on weather Bettman should be in the hall, but the more Jets stuff in there, the better!
I agree. This is a good thing. If nothing else, it gives weight to the idea that the Jets are a permanent part of the NHL now.

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad