HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season Six

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Alright, Year Six in our league starts now!
I'm going to start off by saying we need one new owner. @19 for president can't rejoin us again this year and hopefully we have someone who can assume this team. It's a really nice young team with some really solid keepers (Matthews, Petterson, B Tkachuk, Aho, etc), I wouldn't mind switching myself now, lol.
Here's the previous winners:
2018 MD Spartys
2019 Benchworth Bullmoose
2020 Team Martinez
2021 Jasteroids
2022 Turkleton Turkeys
Wednesday, October 3 is our deadline to set keepers.
Keep eight players. Keep an additional three prospects if you have them. Prospects are position players drafted three or less years ago or goalies drafted five or less years ago. Prospects have played less than fifty games in the NHL. If you have any players that were added to rosters after leaving college last year (Luke Hughes, Matthew Knies, don't think there's many others who fall in this category that someone might have added last year), they're not eligible to be selected as keepers because they were not eligible to be drafted previously. This is because Yahoo doesn't add college players until they're signed to pro contracts and that happens after college seasons end.
The draft date is Sunday October 7 at 9:30 PM EST.
If anyone has any questions about prospect eligibility or anything else as you set your keepers, let us know in here.
Here's the link to the Season Five thread in case you want to relive any of that:

Last edited:
Reactions: turkleton85

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Still looking for another owner in this league, come join us y'all.

Also I wanted to throw this out there. Draft Order.

So I have always done this before and I just wanted to make sure we're all cool with this. Yahoo reorders all the teams based on how they fared in the playoffs. So champ is #1, runner-up in #2, seminfinal teams are 3/4 and the other two playoff teams are 5/6. Then the bottom four teams are "ranked" based on how they did in the consolation bracket, but I know people don't even set rosters for those, and I'm not going to give the Top Pick to whoever lucked into losing all their games in the Consolation Bracket (sorry Team Martinez).

What I'm gonna do is give Champ the last pick and then just seed everyone else based on their records and points are used to break ties.

1696439046744.png

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Still looking for another owner in this league, come join us y'all.

Also I wanted to throw this out there. Draft Order.

So I have always done this before and I just wanted to make sure we're all cool with this. Yahoo reorders all the teams based on how they fared in the playoffs. So champ is #1, runner-up in #2, seminfinal teams are 3/4 and the other two playoff teams are 5/6. Then the bottom four teams are "ranked" based on how they did in the consolation bracket, but I know people don't even set rosters for those, and I'm not going to give the Top Pick to whoever lucked into losing all their games in the Consolation Bracket (sorry Team Martinez).

What I'm gonna do is give Champ the last pick and then just seed everyone else based on their records and points are used to break ties.

View attachment 748895
Here's a proposal for the future that incentivizes the playoffs, even the consolation bracket....just tossing this out there:

Pick #
1 - winner of consolation bracket
2 - runner-up of consolation bracket
3 - 3rd place in consolation bracket
4 - 4th place in consolation bracket
(next two are the first two losers in the championship bracket)
5 - 5th place in championship bracket
6 - 6th place in championship bracket
(next two teams are the losers of the semifinals)
7 - 3rd place in championship bracket
8 - 4th place in championship bracket
9 - 2nd place in championship bracket
10 - 1st place in championship bracket

That order may look weird at first glance, but it's dictated by one simple rule: Once you are out of the running for the championship, your remaining playoff matchups are strictly for draft position; the better you do, the higher your pick.

So the consolation bracket teams are immediately jockeying for 1st overall. And the teams in the championship bracket, once they lose a matchup, are also then jockeying for draft position.

All that managers need to know is that every playoff matchup matters. In any given matchup, you're either playing for the 'ship, or for a higher draft pick. Tanking will not help you, better stay active.

This system also moves me from 9th to 7th in the draft, so if we want to institute this immediately, I'm all for it :laugh:

Reactions: turkleton85

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I like that idea, and I'm fine with implementing it this year. I don't imagine there will be much objection to it.

Whoever joins the league is going to have the first overall pick and a pretty solid roster.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I like that idea, and I'm fine with implementing it this year. I don't imagine there will be much objection to it.

Whoever joins the league is going to have the first overall pick and a pretty solid roster.
It looks like @Winger98 won the consolation bracket, so in my proposed system, he'd have first overall pick. The order would be:

1. Winger98
2. La Goons
3. Prez's Premier Pack
4. Team Martinez
5. Wyzer Plan
6. Holland's Revenge
7. Jasteroids
8. Hammetf2b
9. MD Spartys
10. Turkleton Turkeys

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
By this year, I meant "after this year" since it's not really fair that players just stumbled into these results.

I don't think the third place game was as highly contested as it would have otherwise been so I don't think it's fair to consider the results of that.

I think if I'm 9, you're 8 and Hammett is 7 that's probably the most fair way to do it.

I got to the title game, and I damn sure wanted to win it, lol

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I don't remember, do positions switch every round or was this just the case in the opening draft in 2018? So, do i have the 1st pick in the second round or also the 10th?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
By this year, I meant "after this year" since it's not really fair that players just stumbled into these results.

I don't think the third place game was as highly contested as it would have otherwise been so I don't think it's fair to consider the results of that.

I think if I'm 9, you're 8 and Hammett is 7 that's probably the most fair way to do it.

I got to the title game, and I damn sure wanted to win it, lol
Makes sense. While I can't speak for Hammet, I can say that I poured everything I had into that 3rd place game! And I outscored you two in the championship! :laugh: But yeah, it's all good, I'm totally fine picking 8th, I think that's fair.

I don't remember, do positions switch every round or was this just the case in the opening draft in 2018? So, do i have the 1st pick in the second round or also the 10th?
Oh good question. Looking at last year's draft it looks like we did snaking. So you'd have the 1st pick in the 2nd round if we do it the same, which I presume we will.

However, I'd propose we change it next season to non-snaking. Just my personal take, but I think snaking is more for redraft leagues, and keeper/dynasty leagues should pretty much always be non-snaking.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I will invite him after I'm done with morning stuff around here, have to get the kids to school and everything, then I'll invite him.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I didn't know we could have 8 keepers. Can I get Kopitar added to my list?

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
@Nut Upstrom I'm going to unlock the keepers so you can set yours now, please do that right away. Looks like you hadn't done it yet. Everyone else, I can see you all set your keepers, so after I know who Nut's keepers are I can set the rosters and we can proceed.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
@Nut Upstrom I'm going to unlock the keepers so you can set yours now, please do that right away. Looks like you hadn't done it yet. Everyone else, I can see you all set your keepers, so after I know who Nut's keepers are I can set the rosters and we can proceed.
I couldn't last night due to unforseen circumstances so I snuck Kopitar in just now

Reactions: Sparty

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
@Winger98 you only have seven keepers, you should pick one more. Probably Heiskanen or Kreider I assume?

Keepers
Roope Hintz
Adam Fox
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Dylan Larkin
Jack Eichel
Roman Josi
Alex DeBrincat

Non-Keepers
Joel Eriksson Ek
William Karlsson
Teuvo Teravainen
Owen Tippett
Sam Reinhart
Chris Kreider
Luke Schenn
Miro Heiskanen
Ryan Graves
David Krejci
Chandler Stephenson
Reilly Smith
Jonathan Quick
Ville Husso
Connor Ingram
Stuart Skinner
Kaapo Kahkonen
Zach Werenski
Pavel Francouz
Adin Hill

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
sorry, thought I picked all 8. Yeah, add Miro Heiskanen since I am too technologically dumb to find the keeper setting again. @Sparty
Alright I added him, you're all set now.

@NickH8 I messaged you about your keepers too, after we get his roster sorted out I can finalize the keepers, everyone else looks good.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Alright, league is set. Keepers are all approved, draft order is set, and we're ready to go on Sunday. You all should be able to see in the Draft Results who the keepers all are and you can rank the available players if you want to.

Bedard will probably be the top overall pick, but you never know about these things I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad