• Albert Sjoberg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
2022 Boy Rankings

Prospect definition: 23 or under by September 15, 2022 with < 50 NHL games played.

RankBoyPositionCountryAcquiredPoll %
#1Wyatt JohnstonCCanada2021 Draft - 23rd86.8
#2Logan StankovenC/RWCanada2021 Draft - 47th75.0
#3Mavrik BourqueCCanada2020 Draft - 30th76.5
#4Thomas HarleyDCanada2019 Draft - 18th87.5
#5Lian BichselDSwitzerland2022 Draft - 18th52.2
#6Ty DellandreaCCanada2018 Draft - 13th66.7
#7Antonio StrangesLWUSA2020 Draft - 123rd37.7
#8Artem GrushnikovDRussia2021 Draft - 48th53.7

Will leave poll up for 2 days unless a player runs away with it.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
This is definitely Damiani, but next is hard. I think Blumel is probably right here in this range. I feel like is the next best junior player even over Kyrou. Arcuri was so good down the stretch and fantastic in the playoffs. He sort of had the opposite season of Roulette who I thought was just average late in the year and especially in the playoffs. I don't know that Arcuri is ahead of Martino though. I feel like he's pretty easily ahead of Arcuri.

I've not seen almost anything of Blumel other than highlights, but his performance against men in a lower Euro league was excellent. He seems like a well-rounded player. Even though I wanted to go with Grushnikov's overall game over Stranges' high-end upside, I think in this next spot I want to go with Martino's upside and offense over Blumel. I think Arcuri is right after that though.

I'm fairly confident though Kyrou is going to get in before some or many of these players.

Damiani
Martino
Blumel
Arcuri

Reactions: LT

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
This is definitely Damiani, but next is hard. I think Blumel is probably right here in this range. I feel like is the next best junior player even over Kyrou. Arcuri was so good down the stretch and fantastic in the playoffs. He sort of had the opposite season of Roulette who I thought was just average late in the year and especially in the playoffs. I don't know that Arcuri is ahead of Martino though. I feel like he's pretty easily ahead of Arcuri.

I've not seen almost anything of Blumel other than highlights, but his performance against men in a lower Euro league was excellent. He seems like a well-rounded player. Even though I wanted to go with Grushnikov's overall game over Stranges' high-end upside, I think in this next spot I want to go with Martino's upside and offense over Blumel. I think Arcuri is right after that though.

I'm fairly confident though Kyrou is going to get in before some or many of these players.

Damiani
Martino
Blumel
Arcuri

The next two after Damiani definitely should be the two Swedes or at least very likely.
Especially Sjoberg’s ceiling should not be overlooked

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The next two after Damiani definitely should be the two Swedes or at least very likely.

Back and Sjoberg?

Back is gonna need some pretty rapid improvement to get a chance at a 4th line role.

I don’t really know anything about Sjoberg.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

I honestly thought about mentioning Sjoberg in this conversation. I was debating him and Arcuri in my head, but I believe Arcuri is ahead now. That easily could change in a few days depending on how this U20 tournament goes. Based on the pre-tournament games though, it doesn't even look like Sjoberg is getting PP time, and he's been on the 4th line. Ljunman has been on the top line and the top PP for those games.

I think it's pretty easy though that Ljungman is not in this mix. I really like him, and I plan on trying to watch some Rogle games this year, but he's not knocking down the door like Sjoberg was in the same league on the same team. Ljungman could be a nice player for Dallas, but I'd like to see him start breaking out in Sweden before I put him ahead of Sjoberg or the other players I mentioned.

Sjoberg is such a great goal scorer, and I really enjoyed watching him at the end of the season. He was great when his team was facing relegation. I could easily see why someone would put him ahead of these other guys, and it may simply be that I just was able to watch Arcuri much more than Sjoberg. Like I said, with the WJC starting in days, if he gets out of that depth role and has a great start to the tournament, I definitely could see changing my current ranking on him. I want to see Ljungman as well, and I'm excited for him, but I'm not as sure a hot tournament jumps him above the other players. He was very quiet and really not noticeable in the games I watched. He's efficient, and he's a fine player. He didn't look bad, but he's not an impact player like Sjoberg at the same level.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Back and Sjoberg?

Back is gonna need some pretty rapid improvement to get a chance at a 4th line role.

Ohhhhh .... see I thought he was talking about Ljungman.

Back isn't going to need rapid improvement for a 4th line role though. He's probably ready for it now, but I wouldn't give it to him simply because you do want to give him a chance to try and develop more of a two-way game.

Back was one of the younger forwards on the team last year, but he was given the responsibility over Gardner to be the shutdown center. He was incredible defensively and not totally inept offensively. He's probably not ever going to be a Top 9 depth scorer, but he's easily IMO Dallas' best defensive forward prospect. I'm not sure though he's even in my Top 20. I hadn't thought about it that far down yet, but I love the guy.

I think Back is probably not an NHL regular next year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he played games in Dallas if PKer's have some injuries. Because of the number of forward prospects on the team, he might never regularly play for Dallas, but he seems like a guy that will definitely play NHL games. He won't have a special career though, and it may not be long in NA.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I more just don’t see a spot for Back with our center depth. Hintz and Seguin, Faksa and Dellandrea for that checking role, and obviously the big three. Not including anymore of the random depth signings Nill might make.

I think he’s going to have to force someone’s hand at some point to get a chance, and I don’t expect that to happen. Would love to be wrong.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Damiani
Martino
Blumel
Arcuri

Yeah Martino over Arcuri I'd say too, although both guys are pretty interesting and perhaps underrated prospects for us. If Arcuri can improve his skating he would be an insane force offensively. Skilled, smart, hustles, great shot. I really wanna watch more of Martino outside of just highlights though, but I imagine he'd light it up in the CHL too. I give him an edge right now because of his skating. If Arcuri can improve there too he has the tools to be a NHLer. A poor man's JRob if you will

It's probably pretty close going forward between Martino, Arcuri, and Roulette (who is a clear 3rd for me right now amongst that group however - like you i wasnt overly impressed with him late this past season. Will be interesting to see him take on a bigger role this season, same with Arcuri & Martino). Tough to vote on Blumel, I gotta go back and rewatch his highlight vids.

I'd go:

Damiani
Kyrou
Martino
Arcuri
Blumel

I haven't seen enough of Sjöberg so not sure where to put him yet

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I more just don’t see a spot for Back with our center depth. Hintz and Seguin, Faksa and Dellandrea for that checking role, and obviously the big three. Not including anymore of the random depth signings Nill might make.

I think he’s going to have to force someone’s hand at some point to get a chance, and I don’t expect that to happen. Would love to be wrong.

Unless there are injuries specifically to Faksa and Glendening, I don't think Back is in the conversation of making the team. I'm just saying if all things were equal, he could probably play in the NHL right now even though I don't want to see him in that position. He's a legitimate NHL prospect, it just so happens that he basically tops out as a probably a 4th liner and guy that might excel on the PK. I think he elevated himself beyond the other scrub defensive forwards that are hanging around, but his age will mean he's a virtual lock for AHL duty the majority of the year most likely. I think Tufte being a 1st round pick is probably the only reason he gets called up 1st over a guy like Back.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

If Rhett Gardner & Riley Tufte can get NHL games, I imagine Bäck will get his shot sooner than later. I could definitely see him replacing or getting a good shot at replacing Faksa/Glendening when they're gone

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Back and Sjoberg?

Ohhhhh .... see I thought he was talking about Ljungman.

Back isn't going to need rapid improvement for a 4th line role though. He's probably ready for it now, but I wouldn't give it to him simply because you do want to give him a chance to try and develop more of a two-way game.

Back was one of the younger forwards on the team last year, but he was given the responsibility over Gardner to be the shutdown center. He was incredible defensively and not totally inept offensively. He's probably not ever going to be a Top 9 depth scorer, but he's easily IMO Dallas' best defensive forward prospect. I'm not sure though he's even in my Top 20. I hadn't thought about it that far down yet, but I love the guy.

I think Back is probably not an NHL regular next year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he played games in Dallas if PKer's have some injuries. Because of the number of forward prospects on the team, he might never regularly play for Dallas, but he seems like a guy that will definitely play NHL games. He won't have a special career though, and it may not be long in NA.

That’s the two I was thinking. Back for me gets the nod because of his readiness to actually play. I also think he will fit the role that is likely to be open with the next core better than what Dellandrea would. Just my $0.02. Also very young still, same age as Damiani.

Ljungman would also be one intriguing prospect to keep on eye on like you said BigG

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Damiani now and afterwards it gets difficult. Well got a couple of days to decide that one i guess.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I honestly thought about mentioning Sjoberg in this conversation. I was debating him and Arcuri in my head, but I believe Arcuri is ahead now. That easily could change in a few days depending on how this U20 tournament goes. Based on the pre-tournament games though, it doesn't even look like Sjoberg is getting PP time, and he's been on the 4th line. Ljunman has been on the top line and the top PP for those games.

I think it's pretty easy though that Ljungman is not in this mix. I really like him, and I plan on trying to watch some Rogle games this year, but he's not knocking down the door like Sjoberg was in the same league on the same team. Ljungman could be a nice player for Dallas, but I'd like to see him start breaking out in Sweden before I put him ahead of Sjoberg or the other players I mentioned.

Sjoberg is such a great goal scorer, and I really enjoyed watching him at the end of the season. He was great when his team was facing relegation. I could easily see why someone would put him ahead of these other guys, and it may simply be that I just was able to watch Arcuri much more than Sjoberg. Like I said, with the WJC starting in days, if he gets out of that depth role and has a great start to the tournament, I definitely could see changing my current ranking on him. I want to see Ljungman as well, and I'm excited for him, but I'm not as sure a hot tournament jumps him above the other players. He was very quiet and really not noticeable in the games I watched. He's efficient, and he's a fine player. He didn't look bad, but he's not an impact player like Sjoberg at the same level.

Sjoberg is actually doing a lot IMO vs. what should be expected. He was playing against men at 18, albeit the 2nd highest league, and was scoring around 0,5ppg. U20 league he was goal per game player.

Hopefully he can find a role with the national team and build on the confidence after that. He has tremendous speed and can score in so many different ways. Saw him burn defenders quite a few times and those weren’t junior defenders. You can still tell he is raw and has a shitton of developing to do, but the tools are there.

Should also note that he isn’t too shabby defensively either. Very responsible in his own end as well. I guess could be a small bias towards him tho with being able to watch him a lot.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Sjoberg is actually doing a lot IMO vs. what should be expected. He was playing against men at 18, albeit the 2nd highest league, and was scoring around 0,5ppg. U20 league he was goal per game player.

Hopefully he can find a role with the national team and build on the confidence after that. He has tremendous speed and can score in so many different ways. Saw him burn defenders quite a few times and those weren’t junior defenders. You can still tell he is raw and has a shitton of developing to do, but the tools are there.

Should also note that he isn’t too shabby defensively either. Very responsible in his own end as well. I guess could be a small bias towards him tho with being able to watch him a lot.

Oh, he's definitely ahead of the curve in many ways based on age and draft position. Truthfully I really am excited about him. His goal-scoring and eagerness to put the puck on net are what stuck on most for me when I was able to see him later in the season or in highlights.

I didn't think about it at the time, but Starry had mentioned he sees Kyrou as a guy that could rocket up these rankings in a year. Sjoberg would honestly be my pick. He had a good regular season and great relegation round. If he builds on the regulation performance like I think he can, I think he could have a pretty stellar year in HockeyAllsvenskan and probably put up some impressive goal totals. I'd love to see him be a key piece in leading Södertälje to the SHL, but if he doesn't, at least he has an out clause and will be able to find a SHL team next season.

Outside of the Big 3, there's not a forward that's firmly in that 4th spot especially since there's a reasonable chance Dellandrea and Damiani could graduate this season. Maybe not both, but 1 probably will. If you just look at prospects that aren't pro yet (so also excluding Stranges), I think Martino, Arcuri, and Sjoberg are the forwards that could really separate themselves this year.

Roulette really doesn't do anything for me. With key injuries, he was still playing limited minutes in a depth role, and he was outplayed by two younger draft-eligible forwards. It's hard to be too excited when he's not among the top forwards on his own team in the playoffs.

RE: Back ... I think NHL closeness really does give you a boost typically, but one thing I definitely don't see, just for me, is that he's in that Dellandrea mold. On the same team together, it was pretty clear they're both equally reliable and dependable, but Dellandrea's offensive game is miles ahead. Back is a great, and I want to see him succeed in Dallas, but he's definitely not a guy that has at really any point demonstrated much offensive ability. It's that weird dynamic where I enjoy watching the guy, and I want him to succeed, but he's just a basic, everyday defensive forward. Maybe he can be elite defensively, but that's still a depth piece that's not exactly unique. You need those guys, but there's a strict limit because it's such a readily available commodity.

Reactions: Johno and Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad