HF's Team Board Mock Draft

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Hey everybody. There's always variations of these every year on this site. The idea is to try to reach a consensus for who each team might pick would the fans of that team be in control.

This does not take into account any previous polls before it. Only the results of this poll will affect the numbers going forward.

Here are the results of the one I set up two seasons ago http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1697411

There's around a month left until the draft, so there will be 24 hours for each pick. Obviously, we're only looking for the fans of each team to vote on their pick. This also assumes no trades will be made between picks.

Blues fans, you have the 28th overall pick!

1. :leafs C Auston Matthews 98%

2. :jets RW Patrik Laine 98%

3. :cbj RW Jesse Puljujarvi 95%

4. :edmonton C/LW PierreLuc Dubois 47%

5. :nucks LW Matthew Tkachuk 91%

6. :flames RW/LW Alexander Nylander 58%

7. :coyotes C Logan Brown 48%

8. :sabres D Jacob Chychrun 55%

9. :habs D Olli Juolevi 36%

10. :avs C/LW Tyson Jost 53%

11. :devils C/LW Clayton Keller 85%

12. :sens D Mikhail Sergachyov 46%

13. :canes C/LW Kieffer Bellows 69%

14. :bruins D Dante Fabbro 78%

15. :wild C/RW Luke Kunin 60%

16. :wings D Charles McAvoy 40%

17. :nashville RW Julien Gauthier 37%

18. :flyers C Michael McLeod 48%

19. :isles LW Max Jones 54%

20. :coyotes D Jake Bean 66%

21. :canes C German Rubtsov 60%

22. :jets Kale Clague 18%

23. :panthers Vitali Abramov 54%

24. :ducks2 Alex DeBrincat 36%

25. :stars Rasmus Asplund 29%

26. :caps Riley Tufte 29%

27. :bolts Tage Thompson 36%

28. :blues ??

29. :bruins

30. :ducks2

** this is something that "leafed" was doing, but stopped for some reason in the middle. I wanted to see this get done before draft day

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The safe pick here is probably Howden, but I'm going to go off the reservation a bit and opt for Henrik Borgstrom.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
I voted Howden, but failed to see Pascal Laberge. Probably would have voted Laberge for the upside and speed/playmaking he is supposed to possess.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I voted Laberge. I'd put him BPA with Cholowski and maybe Katchouk but we don't need a LHD or LW. There are a riskier plays, like Bitten, who wouldn't be bad. But I'd rather save the gambles for the 2nd round. I don't know enough about Borgstrom to comment. Apparently, neither do the person who made the poll, as he isn't even listed. We should do a write-in campaign for Borgstrom in honor of the Blues Finnish fans..

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
voted Cholowski. Better size and possibly better offensive instincts than Walman or Dunn, with a high hockey IQ (from all accounts).

The Blues' left side is Gunnarsson, a rapidly declining J-Bo, a couple of bottom-pairing guys in Eddy & Lindbohm, and a couple of boom/bust prospects in Dunn/Walman...neither of whom are sure bets for staying healthy or producing at the NHL level.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
voted Cholowski. Better size and possibly better offensive instincts than Walman or Dunn, with a high hockey IQ (from all accounts).

The Blues' left side is Gunnarsson, a rapidly declining J-Bo, a couple of bottom-pairing guys in Eddy & Lindbohm, and a couple of boom/bust prospects in Dunn/Walman...neither of whom are sure bets for staying healthy or producing at the NHL level.

He's listed at 6'1 180lbs, Walman is also 6'1 and Dunn is 6'0. Weight is all in range of each other. I havnt seen him at all but saying his offensive ceiling and IQ is higher is some lofty praise. I watched Dunn a good amount pre January. That kid is a wizard with the puck.

Can you shed some light on your choice?

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
I voted Bitten. I'd also be happy with Laberge. Definitely don't want Howden, though, even though he does seem like a Bluesy pick

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I went Laberge even though I was seriously considering Dahlen because of his skill. But Dahlen has been dominating lower level Swedish leagues and just recently made the SHL I believe, or maybe I'm wrong on that. Anyway, Laberge has skill, tenacity, and is probably the safer pick.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
He's listed at 6'1 180lbs, Walman is also 6'1 and Dunn is 6'0. Weight is all in range of each other. I havnt seen him at all but saying his offensive ceiling and IQ is higher is some lofty praise. I watched Dunn a good amount pre January. That kid is a wizard with the puck.

Can you shed some light on your choice?

I suppose I'm 'projecting' Cholowski's size to be better than Walman/Dunn, since he's a stick at 18 years old...but he's two years younger than Walman and one younger than Dunn, and currently an inch taller than either. I'd expect him to fill out over 200 lbs, with the potential for another inch or two in height. While not significantly larger than either, every bit helps when you're playing defense in your own end. Even though he's playing in the BCHL this year and competition hasn't been perhaps as tough as you'd like, he's excelled and done everything expected of him, and more. He's basically gone step-for-step with Fabbro, who some have as the top-rated D-man in this draft, and received universal praise for his play through-out the year. He's steadily climbed the rankings all year, and is heading to a very good St. Cloud State program next year.

The HF thread on him in the prospects board has a couple of video clips:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1994505

There's an article talking about him and the incoming freshman class at SCSU:
http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports...ook-scsus-possible-freshmen-2016-17/83263286/

Final draft ranking from TSN.
http://www.tsn.ca/25-dennis-cholowski-d-1.474375

Basically I think he's a great value at 28, and a potential 2nd pairing guy on the left side. Walman has had shoulder problems. Dunn his own injuries and still has a ways to go before I'd consider him a solution to our left side depth issues. Cholowski would be another guy to increase the chances of finding a long-term solution at LHD, and as good or better than anything we've already got.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Based on who's still left in this mock I have it:

Howden
Dahlen
Kuokkanen (who isn't even a freaking option)
Katchouk
Laberge
Johansen
Fox
Kyrou
Benson
Bitten

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with Howden. He outplayed Laberge in the U18 for Canada. Bigger plays a full 200 foot game.

An interesting kid also is Cliff Pu. He was way down the depth chart for a loaded London team, but will likely get the top pivot spot next year with all of the graduations.

He is kind of a high risk kid, but high reward also. If we wind up with Bostons 29, I would take him.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Since I could go from Borgstrom I went with Bitten. Still hope they find a way to trade up.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I suppose I'm 'projecting' Cholowski's size to be better than Walman/Dunn, since he's a stick at 18 years old...but he's two years younger than Walman and one younger than Dunn, and currently an inch taller than either. I'd expect him to fill out over 200 lbs, with the potential for another inch or two in height. While not significantly larger than either, every bit helps when you're playing defense in your own end. Even though he's playing in the BCHL this year and competition hasn't been perhaps as tough as you'd like, he's excelled and done everything expected of him, and more. He's basically gone step-for-step with Fabbro, who some have as the top-rated D-man in this draft, and received universal praise for his play through-out the year. He's steadily climbed the rankings all year, and is heading to a very good St. Cloud State program next year.

The HF thread on him in the prospects board has a couple of video clips:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1994505

There's an article talking about him and the incoming freshman class at SCSU:
http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports...ook-scsus-possible-freshmen-2016-17/83263286/

Final draft ranking from TSN.
http://www.tsn.ca/25-dennis-cholowski-d-1.474375

Basically I think he's a great value at 28, and a potential 2nd pairing guy on the left side. Walman has had shoulder problems. Dunn his own injuries and still has a ways to go before I'd consider him a solution to our left side depth issues. Cholowski would be another guy to increase the chances of finding a long-term solution at LHD, and as good or better than anything we've already got.
Thanks for the info! I'd still rather draft forward but you make a good case for the kid. I'd probably target free agents or trades for NHL roster LHD personally.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yo, dudes, pitch me on Laberge over Howden.

I'll give it a shot, although there are others who may know more.

Laberge is a better skater than Howden. While Howden has good top end speed and edgework, his first step and acceleration need a lot of work. Laberge is very shifty on his skates, and uses that to keep defenders off balance. If he gets space, he makes something happen. Howden has a more head down, straight forward game. This may fit more in with Blues "style" but it doesn't allow for creativity. Laberge has more offensive tools in his arsenal and uses a variety of shots, wheras Howden only really has a good-wrister and back hand when close. Both are equally good in front of the net and willing to bang/tip so that's a push.

On defense the edge goes to Howden. Laberge is strong on the forecheck but his defensive positioning, especially as a center, needs work. This was why he was moved to wing, this season. A mitigating factor in this was that he was dealing with some family issues (cancer of a family member) and the coach didn't want to put too much on his mind. His coach says he is more than capable of learning what it takes to be a center. He just wanted to free him up defensively to concentrate on offense since he had a lot else on his mind. Howden is just really strong defensively. He excels at jumping in lanes to kill plays but this will diminish as the speed of play increases because of his poor first step. Still, defense will be his bread and butter if he makes it pro.

So while they play a similar game, the outlook is a bit different. Laberge is more risky but has a good bit higher offensive upside. He may never settle comfortably into a center role and end up as a 3rd line wing. Or he may even bust. Howden will be afairly safe 3rd/4th line 2-way center with 2nd line upside. However, he does not have the offensive skills to be a first liner, or even a scoring 2nd liner. Laberge has top-6 scoring potential while still be solid defensively. He is a hard worker, so he can learn to play defense as a center. Other than that, he just needs to add muscle like every other young kid. I take the higher offensive upside, even at the risk of a bust/move to wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad