Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Callisto Protocol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
As we enter into the new year I thought it would be fun to reflect and get a consensus of 2022's best game as determined by HF. There is no specific criteria. This vote is simply for the game you personally believe was the best. I'll try to represent all of the heavy hitters, but I'm sure I'll miss some...so feel free to vote for "other" and plead your case in the comments.

game-of-the-year-mega65.gif

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought 2022 was a really solid year, personally. Better than the last few for me. At least four or five titles that I find either really good or really intriguing/admirable, which rarely happens for me.

Voted for other: Tactics Ogre Reborn, though. A labor of love remaster of a brilliant classic that still holds up as the best of its genre, arguably fixing all of its previous flaws and adding surprisingly strong voice acting. This version of Tactics Ogre is stronger than the latest version of Final Fantasy Tactics, IMO. Tunic would be my runner-up, but I haven't played Elden Ring yet.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The only game released in 2022 I've played is Gran Turismo 7 and I still wouldn't name it the best game of 2022, but I'm still annoyed it's not in the poll.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have had less time to game this year so have not gotten around to as many of these as I would have liked.

For me it would probably be God of War. I really liked Tunic and Cult of the Lamb though. The next 2 games on my list to beat are Xeno Blade 3 and Horizon, so who knows how things look after that.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The only game released in 2022 I've played is Gran Turismo 7 and I still wouldn't name it the best game of 2022, but I'm still annoyed it's not in the poll.
was so disappointed in this game. wish it had better single player stuff not to mention the stupid comeback races. did things ever change? haven't played in months

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
was so disappointed in this game. wish it had better single player stuff not to mention the stupid comeback races. did things ever change? haven't played in months
There's single player content but the online has just been so unappealing it's near enough single-handedly killed my interest in sim-racing.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Ya that was my single biggest gripe. It was so close to a really good game. Little things like not being able to sell cars really hurt its overall experience, but starting every race half a lap back absolutely killed the racing. At the very least they could have done qualifying so it didn’t end up where your slowest lap is faster than everyone else’s fastest lap, and you still lose

Reactions: Hammettf2b

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Elden Ring was special. One of those games you wish you could go back and play again without knowing anything. A massive world that just wants you to explore. It’s ruined other open world games for me.
I know exactly what you mean. I can't help but feel as though it'll have a similar level of cultural impact that Skyrim had, where it was instantly timeless and influenced game development for many years to come. It's special for sure.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The only games I played that were released this year were Stray, which was a cool experience but too limited to really be GOTY, and Elden Ring. So I guess my vote is Elden Ring. It was quite the achievement for FromSoft and I'm glad they are getting all this praise....in terms on enjoyment, though, still a step or 2 behind Sekiro and Bloodborne for me.

I would like to eventually get around to GoW, Plague Tale, Tunic, Cult of the Lamb, and Sifu.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Elden Ring’s biggest flaw was the necessity to look things up on Elden Wiki in order to find items or start/continue/finish side quests. Things were too ambiguous in that sense.

Otherwise an awesome gaming experience that I can’t recommend enough to anyone even if you hate Soul’s games as I did. Being able to grow and learn with a vast and difficult world is the primary game mechanic and From pulled it off in spades.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
HFW was so good. Almost done with my Ultra Hard NG+ playthrough, then I may go back and do a story/super easy NG+ 100% playthrough. Absolutely gorgeous game, wonderful storytelling (although it gets kind of weird), great mechanics, just an awesome game.

Super intrigued by GOW, but unfortunately I only have time for games on the weekend and one at a time, so I haven't had a chance to dive in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
HFW was so good. Almost done with my Ultra Hard NG+ playthrough, then I may go back and do a story/super easy NG+ 100% playthrough. Absolutely gorgeous game, wonderful storytelling (although it gets kind of weird), great mechanics, just an awesome game.

Super intrigued by GOW, but unfortunately I only have time for games on the weekend and one at a time, so I haven't had a chance to dive in.
If you've loved God of War 2018, you should love Ragnarok. I said the same thing about Horizon Forbidden West. That if you loved the original, you'll love this one, but if you didn't enjoy the first one, it doesn't change enough for you to like this one. And, if you haven't played 2018 God of War, I'd say make that your next game.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If you've loved God of War 2018, you should love Ragnarok. I said the same thing about Horizon Forbidden West. That if you loved the original, you'll love this one, but if you didn't enjoy the first one, it doesn't change enough for you to like this one. And, if you haven't played 2018 God of War, I'd say make that your next game.
Yeah I fully intend to get into GOW. Again just due to the kids and work and all that I don't have time except for after everyone goes to bed or on the weekends, so it's tough to start a new thing. I think I'll probably do another HFW playthrough leading into the DLC then retire it and dive into GOW.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Elden Ring but Vampire Survivors remains the best way to spend ~3 dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad