Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swoyer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Poll #13b: Given the current HFPens lineup, who do you want to see as the Extra Defender? Vote for what you want to see. Write in votes for players that the Penguins already have acquired are welcome but if you vote twice neither of them will be counted.

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. Options will be based on (August 19, 2022) health. All seem to be healthy.
  5. Unless listed as a 'LD/RD' on CapFriendly the defensemen will play on their "correct" side. This means Rutta, Ty Smith, Friedman, and Ouellet can play either side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL/AHL level. For example, I will not be listing Hallander as an option for the third line center. But DOC and Zohorna will be options for 3C.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I may not be able to include everyone as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though.
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
  9. I will be working my way "down" the lineup. If the cap is exceeded at a 22-man roster that is where the polls will end.
  10. Petry is the 2 RD.
Let me know of questions, concerns, or objections.

Current HFPens Line Combo:

Guentzel (63%) - Crosby - Rakell (54%)
Zucker (47%) - Malkin - Rust (83%)
Heinen (56%) - Carter (67%) - Kapanen (84%)
Poehling (43.5% → 57%) - Blueger (84%) - McGinn (77%)
????

Dumoulin (81%) - Letang
Pettersson (81%) - Petry
Joseph (65%) - Rutta (100%) [3 abstained from voting on a LD]
????

Jarry - DeSmith

current cap of $80.7M

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah, pretty much what @Daeni10 said. I wasn't thrilled with how many games Ruhwedel played last season but he seemed good enough for his role. I like Friedman more, but at this point Ruh has proven more in the NHL. To me it seems like Friedman would have more of a chance of not being claimed over Ruhwedel. And Smith can go to WBS without having to go through waivers. Gotta keep as many d-man as possible.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Just going on cost and usefulness, I think it's better to have a cheaper guy who can play both sides if necessary as a 7th D instead of the same 3rd pairing guy we've had for 7 seasons who's just fairly adequate. Friedman just gives you more bang for the buck, and it's not like Ruhwedhl's secretly a top 4 guy or anything-- they're both fine (albeit not great) depth guys, one is just younger, cheaper, plays grittier, and can play either side. The other looks like a clitoris.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I voted Smith because I want us to develop our next round of defensemen. We have to give the young guys a chance!

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Seems a bit counter-productive to have a guy sitting in the press box instead of playing on the top pairing in WBS for development.
Valid point. I was thinking along the lines of a having a 7 man D rotation, with POJ/Pettersson/Smith filling 2 spots.

Probably unrealistic.

Reactions: SomeDude

Tanaka

Aug 15, 2014
Seems a bit counter-productive to have a guy sitting in the press box instead of playing on the top pairing in WBS for development.
this is what the devils never did with smith and it still baffles me today. They never sent him to the AHL to get better. he was just rotting in the press box after his rookie year

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Depends on the situation. If it calls for a rascal I'd go with fried man... otherwise it'd be ruh again.

But there will be obvious injuries and the penguins will need to call up 7 and #8 d men... so.... both will get some time. Both numbers I mean... who fills the numbers I have no idea.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Seems to me that the writing was on the wall for POJ after the Smith-Marino trade ....
Obvious that Smith will be given all chances to shine ...
Pens should trade POJ and give him a real chance elsewhere

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad