HFOil Mock Entry Draft 2018 | Draft Complete!

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
So how does one play this now that all the players are drafted? See where they wind up and plus minus the totals?

I had an idea today that we could create a bingo card. I tried to make one just now with 15 minutes of thought into it but was only able to fill about 17 of the 25 boxes. (It gets harder to come up with good ideas as you go along :huh:) If everyone & @Soli thinks its a good idea, ill try to fill in the rest or i'll post what I came up with so far and maybe let the rest of you guys fill in the blanks or come up with a better card than what I originally created.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
So how does one play this now that all the players are drafted? See where they wind up and plus minus the totals?

If I recall drafting guys later than they are taken is + and vice versa. Then in a year or two if youre still foolish enough to follow this farce of a league you can look back and see if your guys maybe should have gone higher.

Reactions: Night Witch

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’ve always done mine that if a player goes earlier than I picked him that’s a +, if he goes later than I got him that’s -, and if he goes undrafted I feel shame. However it’s fun to follow undrafted guys that end up being signed later, I had a few one year.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I’ve always done mine that if a player goes earlier than I picked him that’s a +, if he goes later than I got him that’s -, and if he goes undrafted I feel shame. However it’s fun to follow undrafted guys that end up being signed later, I had a few one year.

Speaking of undrafted guys, below are some players I like that didn't get picked in the mock draft and might not get picked in the real draft next weekend either, but here they are anyways:
  • C - Patrick Khodorenko - Michigan State (NCAA - re-entry)
  • C - Brandon Saigeon - Hamilton (OHL - re-entry)
  • LW - Ben Sanderson - Okotoks (AJHL)
  • C - Jan Sir - Liberec Jr. (Czech)
  • D - Davyd Barandun - Davos Jr. (Swiss)
  • G - Juraj Ovecka - Springfield (NAHL - re-entry)
  • G - Daniel Lebedeff - Janesville (NAHL - re-entry)

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

I think this is how I calculate mine, and how the OB Trophy will be tallied up, or rather, how people should tally it up cause I'm not going to go through everyone's teams. :D

I had an idea today that we could create a bingo card. I tried to make one just now with 15 minutes of thought into it but was only able to fill about 17 of the 25 boxes. (It gets harder to come up with good ideas as you go along :huh:) If everyone & @Soli thinks its a good idea, ill try to fill in the rest or i'll post what I came up with so far and maybe let the rest of you guys fill in the blanks or come up with a better card than what I originally created.

Show us what you got and we can try and help and go from there?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Speaking of undrafted guys, below are some players I like that didn't get picked in the mock draft and might not get picked in the real draft next weekend either, but here they are anyways:

Had Khodorenko + Saigeon on my list, and looked at Barandun.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Some guys I had on my list that didn't get picked that I think has a good chance of being selected are:

LD Jesper Sellgren - MODO (Allsvenskan)

Double overager who impressed scouts at the WJC.

LW/RW Karel Plasek - HC Kometo Brno (Czech)

Undersized goal-scoring winger. Impressive internationally all year, had 4 goals in 7 games at the U18's and scored 9 goals and 11 points in 18 games against men in the Czech 2nd league. Fun fact: He played with his dad, Karel Plasek Sr. (a 25 year pro in Czech leagues) for parts of the season.

RD Connor Corcoran - Windsor Spitfires (OHL)

I don't know much about him but from what I read he was one of the better D on Windsor this year as an August '00 birthday. Had 24 points in 63 games but is more of a defensive D I think. Like the guys above this is a guy I considered taking with my 7th rounder.

LW Max Golod - Erie Otters (OHL)

Pretty sure this kid is going to get picked from what I've been reading. Another August '00 birthday. Late bloomer, played major midget last year and was a top6 forward for Erie Otters this year putting up 33 points in 61 games. Scouts seem to think there is a lot of untapped offensive upside there. Could be a diamond in the rough.

C/LW David Lilja - BIK Karlskoga (Allsvenskan)

At one point early in the season I thought this kid might be a 2nd round pick. Now I'm not even sure if he gets drafted. He started off really well playing against men in Allsvenskan and producing, but then just tailed off completely. Was never really given a proper chance to prove himself internationally either as he was mostly 13th forward or playing 4th line minutes for Team Sweden.

Maybe some team takes a chance on him, after all he looked like an effective top6 forward in the 2nd best swedish league for a period of time, but at this point it would seem more likely to me that he goes undrafted and will have to prove everyone (or just me :D) wrong next year.

If he was bigger he would get drafted for sure, but he's 5'11 and 168 lbs and not a blazing skater. Just a smart player with good vision who kind of struggles to make his impact felt shift-to-shift or even game-to-game.

RW Eric Engstrand - Frölunda HC (SuperElit)

Finally I just wanted to mention this guy. He's completely off the radar and I don't expect him to get picked but I saw him two times this year and came away impressed. He's 6'4, 209 lbs but very athletic. Skates really well for someone his size. Works hard, gets in on the forecheck and has some pretty decent offensive instincts to go along with it. He's raw but this is a guy I could see having a strong post-draft season. A real wildcard but could be worth taking a gamble on his upside in the 7th round.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think this is how I calculate mine, and how the OB Trophy will be tallied up, or rather, how people should tally it up cause I'm not going to go through everyone's teams. :D

So a + for every position a player goes higher and a - for every position lower, what about undrafted? Just shame or is it a huge - ?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
So a + for every position a player goes higher and a - for every position lower, what about undrafted? Just shame or is it a huge - ?

Difficult to quantify an undrafted pick. Tally it up and then report the round you had an undrafted player.

For example, I took Noah Dobson at 9. In the real draft, if he goes 3rd to Montreal, I'd have a running tally of +6. I took Austin Wong in the 6th round. If he goes undrafted this weekend and is my only one, I'll report my tally and note one undrafted player in the 6th round. They will kinda be used as tie breakers I suppose.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I don’t have an attention span that long lol

Just have to have the thread not get purged, or locked, and update it 5 years later. There used to be 5 year retrospects for the actual draft, as to who made it, still have a chance or busted. I know people can just look it up on HockeyDB but very few do.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I took Hayton at 20 and Bernard Docker at 51 for the kings. Pretty good start for me.

I think I drafted pretty poorly rounds 3-6 though

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I took Groulx at 31 so not a lot of wiggle room there. Pretty sure he goes before 40 tho.

Still trying to wrap my head around some of these picks. If I were an Arizona, Dallas, or Columbus fan I wouldn’t be very happy.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
:rangers

1 (9th) - Noah Dobson, RD, Acadie-Bathurst Titans (QMJHL) [12th = -3]
1 (26th) - Grigori Denisenko, LW, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (MHL) [15th = +11]
1 (30th) - Jacob Olofsson, C/LW, Timra IK (SHL) [56th = -26]
2 (39th) - Jett Woo, RD, Moose Jaw Warrior (WHL) [37th = +2]
2 (48th) - Sean Durzi, RD, Owen Sound Attack (OHL) [52nd = -4]
3 (70th) - Cole Fonstad, LW, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) [128th = -58]
3 (88th) - Riley Sutter, RW, Everett Silvertips (WHL) [93rd = -5]
4 (101st) - Linus Nyman, LW, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) [undrafted]
5 (132nd) - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, C, Peterborough Petes (OHL) [76th = +56]
6 (163rd) - Austin Wong, C/RW, Okotok Oilers (AJHL) [215th = -52]

---

TOTAL: -79 and 1 undrafted (4th round)

Yikes, hahaha, not my best year.

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
San Jose Sharks

Round 1, pick #21 - C Akil Thomas (51, -30)
Round 4, pick #114 - RW Pavel Gogolev (Undrafted)
Round 5, pick #145 - C Riley Damiani (137, +8)
Round 6, pick #176 - RW Nikita Rtishchev (Undrafted)
Round 6, pick #182 - D Jack St. Ivany (112, +70)
Round 7, pick #207 - D Marcus Bjork (Undrafted)

Totals:
+48, and three undrafted. I'm not shocked Bjork wasn't selected, he seems like he's going to be one of those FA signings in a couple years. I'm also not surprised Rtishchev went unselected, Russians in the MHL are always a crapshoot. Gogolev not going though, I didn't expect that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pick 1 - Bo Groulx

Picked: 31 Actual: 53 Total -22

Pick 2: Jesse Ylonen

Picked: 45 Actual: 35 Total +10

Pick 3: Axel Andersson

Picked: 76 Actual: 58 Total: +19

Pick 4: Oskar Back

Picked: 107 Actual: 75 Total: +32

Pick 5: Adam Samuelsson

Picked: 138 Actual: Undrafted

Pick 6: Matthew Thiessen

Picked: 169 Actual: 192 Total: -23

Pick 7: Michael Kesselring

Picked: 200 Actual: 164 Total: +36

Totals: +52, 1 undrafted.

Pretty happy with this. Surprised no one took a flyer on Adam Samuelsson.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
LA Kings

1st Round (20th Overall) - Barrett Hayton (LC) --- Actual (5) --- +15
2nd Round (51st Overall) - Jacob Bernard Docker (RD) --- Actual (26) --- +25
3rd Round (82nd Overall) - Ryan O'Reilly (RW) --- Actual (98) --- -16
4th Round (113rd Overall) - Filip Kral (LD) --- Actual (149) --- -36
5th Round (144th Overall) - Keegan Karki (G) --- undrafted
6th Round (165th Overall) - Yegor Zamula (LD) --- undrafted
6th Round (175th Overall) - Carl Wassenius (LC) --- undrafted

-12 and 3 undrafted

started well but finished poorly