Prospect Info: HFOIL 2020 Prospect Rankings (Poll #1)

Who is the Oilers best prospect?

• Dylan Holloway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raphael Lavoie

• Ryan McLeod

• Tyler Tullio

• Carter Savoie

• Kirill Maksimov

• Stuart Skinner

• Other (Who?)

• Total voters

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Following @snipes's suggestion, I'll be making a series of polls to determine the Oilers top-20 prospects. I'll give each poll a day or so before making the next one. Looking at some of the options we have, our prospect pool is actually looking really solid. We're set on the defensive side of things, and we have some new and exciting forward prospects.

:edmonton

2020 HFOIL prospect rankings

1. ?

Reactions: snipes

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Still Bouchard for me.

Scored 87 points and 25 goals in his draft year.

Follows it up with a playoff series the following year where he was scoring at a 2PPG clip. Gets a cup of tea with the Oiler.

Goes pro in the AHL with a very respectable 36 points in 54 games. Scores at a PPG clip in the AHL playoffs.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Still Bouchard for me.

Scored 87 points and 25 goals in his draft year.

Follows it up with a playoff series the following year where he was scoring at a 2PPG clip. Gets a cup of tea with the Oiler.

Goes pro in the AHL with a very respectable 36 points in 54 games. Scores at a PPG clip in the AHL playoffs.
This is my reasoning also.

I like Broberg’s development this last year, but I’m not there yet, he will probably win this by a landslide because this board is a “what have you done for me lately”, and Broberg has had a good 5 Games in the SHL and had a decent camp.

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Broberg. Size, speed, offensive upside.

Bouchard's defensive game has me a bit concerned how he'll be deployed once he gets to Edmonton.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Gotta go with Broberg. Hockey is about what have you done lately. Past production does mean crap if it doesn't carry over

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I know it's a hockey board. Everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them.

But doing these polls right after a draft is always skewed towards Shiney new toy syndrome (myself included most times) that it's not really relevant.

We had 1 first and the rest 4th or worse. The simple truth is the only prospect from this draft that cracks our top 10 is Holloway and even he should be a ways from the top.

My list is:

Bouchard
Benson
Samorukov
Broberg
Lavoie
Laggesson
Holloway
McLeod
Marody
Berglund/Maxismov

I value prospects close to NHL graduation higher than just potential.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Broberg due to the combination of size and skating but now he's showing some of his offense, albeit a small sample size

Bouchard's skating and lack of intensity in the defensive zone is a little bit of a concern, although I think he can be a great PP point producer

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Gotta go with Broberg. Hockey is about what have you done lately. Past production does mean crap if it doesn't carry over
Well Bouch now has a goal and 26pims in 3GP while playing as #1D for his team.
Samourkov has been the most impressive for me this season

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Broberg due to the combination of size and skating but now he's showing some of his offense, albeit a small sample size

Bouchard's skating and lack of intensity in the defensive zone is a little bit of a concern, although I think he can be a great PP point producer

It seems like he is working on his intensity.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Bouchard is the best passer and offense. He needs to take a step or two to keep pace with broberg.....but imo he could still pan out as an offensive top pair guy.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I like Samorukov the most of all our prospects. It was between him or Broberg

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I love how Broberg head a mediocre draft +1 year at best, a poor WJC IMO, and for some reason Bouchard has to catch him.

After 3 games in a foreign league I'm not about to sell what Bouchard has done predraft, draft +1/ with 9 nhl games, and draft +2 short. Comparatively speaking Bouchard is better, considerably better imo until Broberg manages to prove something anything other than being Stauffers favorite.

And if we are talking hot starts Samourukov is off to a better one than Broberg.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This is my reasoning also.

I like Broberg’s development this last year, but I’m not there yet, he will probably win this by a landslide because this board is a “what have you done for me lately”, and Broberg has had a good 5 Games in the SHL and had a decent camp.

It was a toss up for me but based on what I saw from Broberg in camp and his strong start I think his upside is equal or close to Bouchard but his floor is better. He's big, will hit, and is an elite skater. For me he's at worst Darnell Nurse good and Bouchard at worst is Cody Franson. The knocks on Broberg were perhaps the hockey sense and skill wasn't there or to say the hands had to catch up to the feet. His production and play since the camp in Edmonton has shown the hands seem to be quickly catching up. Both are unreal prospects and could be our top pairing in time while playing different games. It's a nice debate to have. I'll add that I'm not convinced Samorukov is that far behind in terms of upside although I suspect he may take a little longer to reach it. No wrong answers on this question.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I love how Broberg head a mediocre draft +1 year at best, a poor WJC IMO, and for some reason Bouchard has to catch him.

After 3 games in a foreign league I'm not about to sell what Bouchard has done predraft, draft +1/ with 9 nhl games, and draft +2 short. Comparatively speaking Bouchard is better, considerably better imo until Broberg manages to prove something anything other than being Stauffers favorite.

And if we are talking hot starts Samourukov is off to a better one than Broberg.
We're not talking about hot starts. We're talking about who the better prospect is.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's really close for me but I'd probably lean Broberg at this stage. Seems like Bouchard still has issues with his skating and defensive game. Sort of worrying that he hasn't improved more on that in these years since the draft. Meanwhile Broberg has improved in pretty much all areas and is now a very well-rounded defenseman. Still work to be done of course but I like his trajectory better.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm going Broberg here, then Bouchard, then Holloway.

@Delicious Pancakes why the vote for Konovalov? Accidental/satirical vote or are you really high on him?

I think he has it in him to be a good starting goaltender. I'm not sold that either Broberg or Bouchard will be top pairing D-men, and Holloway I see more as a good second liner than a top line player. I also quite like Tullio so he would be up there as well. Broberg and Bouchard I would expect to be on the Oilers roster the soonest though.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Broberg will be a better d man than Bouchard but Bouchard is obviously more nhl ready

Broberg could be just as ready? Broberg has a season of pro hockey under his belt and you know the size of him too.

Both decent prospects can't argue.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Bouchard is more ready right now, Broberg has a higher ceiling (maybe less likely to reach it) and Samorukov is a wildcard, who ends up second best of the 3 imo.

We're really lucky to have all 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad