Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
1st Round - 2nd Overall - C Jack Eichel - Boston University
40-26-45-71

460879996-e1428737879305.jpg

It's unfortunate for Eichel that he happens to be born in the same year as the best prospect since Sidney Crosby. Any other year and the masses would be entirely convinced that Eichel might be the same. I went into the lottery process comfortable with whatever outcome awaited. When Winnipen won the lottery, I wasn't as crestfallen as perhaps I should have been. I'm a huge fan of Eichel and I believe he'll prove to be a worthy comparison point for McDavid as time elapses. The fact that McDavid landed in Edmonton has me a bit more skeptical about him. I think Buffalo will be a much more low pressure situation for Eichel to develop in. Overall, we're just really glad we had the opportunity to grab one of the two premiere prospects in the draft. Seriously... a +51 in the NCAA as a Freshman might be the most jaw dropping stat of them all.

2nd Round - 31st Overall C/RW Jack Roslovic - USNDT
65-27-52-79

Roslovic_large.jpg

Just as the first round was coming to a close, I was inundated with messages asking about the pick. I had decided upon Roslovic prior to hearing any of these offers, and oddly enough it seemed that most of the inquiries for the pick revolved around Roslovic still being on the board. The pivot on one of the most dangerous U18 lines in recent memory with Auston Matthews and Matthew Tkachuk for the United States, Roslovic fit right in with 6 goals in 7 games. There's a lot to like here in terms of speed, creativity, and growth potential. The Miami of Ohio prospect should jump immediately into first line NCAA minutes next season. It would be a great story of Columbus, with two early second round picks, could snag the Ohio native. Talk of him climbing into the bottom of the first round might prevent those ambitions.

2nd Round - 35th Overall - W Jeremy Bracco - USNDT
65-30-64-94

bracco-ntdp.jpg

Bracco, who was likely an overdrafted player by me, laid waste to a metric ton of records for the National Development Team. Assists in a season (58) shattered the previous mark set by Andy Hilbert and Patrick Kane in 2013-2014. His 64 assists this season only further solidified his record and made him the career assist leader for the program. He stands behind only Patrick Kane and Phil Kessel for total points with the Development team, though Auston Matthews being only 1 point behind will almost certainly mean that Bracco will drop to 4th. Bracco is a tough player to project. With his size deficiencies, it's going to be tough to see him projecting as an elite NHL player. To make matters worse, his skating is just good and not great... which might be the death knell for him. However, it's hard to argue with the numbers he has generated. The Boston College commit will be challenged once again to take his game to another level.

3rd Round - 61st Overall - D Ryan Pilon - Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
68-11-41-52

131206-pilon.jpg

Dwarfed by the bright star of his defensive partner, Ivan Provorov, Pilon carved out a nice season for himself for the Wheat Kings of the WHL. I have heard it said that Pilon's puck skills are very strong, but his role with Brandon saw him as more of a support defenseman that allowed Provorov to do what he does best in terms of creating offense. I have also heard it said that Pilon doesn't have nearly the offensive game, but few do. The things that scouts like the most about Pilon is the 200 ft. game he plays and his outlet passing ability. Pilon might be one of the new breed top four defenders that is a jack of all trades but master of none. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses as Provorov may likely make an NHL club this upcoming season, leaving Pilon to his own devices in Brandon and finally in charge of the powerplay.

4th Round - 91st Overall - LW Graham Knott - Niagra IceDogs (OHL)
59-25-18-42

Knott.jpg

Graham Knott was an obvious choice for me here. I debated between a few options, but decided it was probably best to take a power winger with upside. Knott isn't the most naturally skilled player, but he plays a very North-South game and isn't afraid to get to the front of the net with regularity. Scouts would like to see him work on his skating a bit more, but overall the game is pretty solid. I had a lot of interest in this pick as well but ultimately decided it was worth it to keep Knott.

4th Round - 104th Overall - RW Blake Speers - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
57-24-43-67

Blake%20Speers%20December%2014%202013.jpg

Speers is more like the typical "undersized" forward that has success at the next level. His skating ability is elite and his hands are fast enough to keep up. Not only that, his defensive game is pretty impressive as well. He was known to be deployed as a penalty killer for the Greyhounds in addition to all he brings offensively. However, are any of his tools elite enough to find him a full time gig at the NHL level? That remains to be seen. But in terms of some of the more undersized guys in this draft, I feel like Speers is as good of a bet as any due to his very technical skating and versatility. Not your typical offensive one trick pony and he had to scratch and claw to get his icetime on a very stacked team in the Soo.

5th Round - 138th Overall - W Conor Garland - Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
67-35-94-129

60_wildcats_lead-670x320.jpg

An unintentional theme of this draft by virtue of my list not going entirely according to plan became undersized scorers. And there are perhaps none more intriguing than the re-entry Garland. Passed over last season after a pedestrian 51 points in 54 games, Garland's skill finally came to play this season with an eye-popping 129 points and 94 assists. He is the only American other than Pat LaFontaine to lead the Q in scoring. There are no questions about his elite offensive ability, but his size is a tremendous red flag. We couldn't risk passing on potentially the most potent offensive player outside the Top 100 picks of this draft despite his size. It will be interesting to see if Garland can secure a place on the U20 team for the Americans.

6th Round - 160th Overall - D Jake Massie - Kimball Union Academy USHS
35-5-15-20

YCXf5VQc.jpeg

From an American playing in the Q with Garland to a Quebecois playing in the NCAA next season, we have Jake Massie. There's not a lot of information out there about Massie, other than that he's a physical defenseman that can also handle the puck. This pick was one that was based on his being the highest CSB ranked player still available. Massie is the highest rated prep defenseman in this draft class. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
From an American playing in the Q with Garland to a Quebecois playing in the NCAA next season

Hey now, that's my thing, don't be stealing my Quebecois playing in the US prep school circuit!

I think that this is a great draft from top to bottom. In every spot you picked a guy with massive upside. With Reinhart, Lazar, Eichel, Strome... can see the patience paying off.. that is one heck of a start to a massive top 6.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
That's an unbelievable haul. I really like the Roslovic pick at #31. Great value there.

I agree. Great draft, and not only because of Eichel. Not completely sold on Bracco, but if his skating is good enough for the NHL, the talent is there. Getting Pilon in the 3rd was a nice pick up. I had Knott toward the top of my list for round 4.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Roslovic is sooo smart. In the beginning of the year when I saw him, he made all the right decisions, just didn't get onto the scoresheet, which made me wonder about his upside. But he started to tear it up in the end, meaning his is smart AND producing. He's a hell of a player.

Bracco, I am not as sold on as others who post in the Bracco thread. The kid can dance on skates, he is so smooth, and great vision. But for a small player, he seemed to lack the extra factor that creates seperation between him and opposing players. He can hold onto the puck for days but he wasn't blowing past players and wasn't dekeing through traffic either; stay on the perimeter and waited for opportunities.

Let's see if he can develop that because once he does, he'll be extremely dangerous.

Oh, and Massie, really, REALLY smooth skater. A bit lanky and a bit raw but he has good size, good skating, and plays a calm, transition game. He's a good late pick to watch develop.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Well done Josh. Very strong draft and very good base building up for the Caps future. Here's hoping Eichel doesn't give you the edge in the race to respectability in the East!

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Thanks guys! I figured out why Brock hasn't weighed in. He listed 2 of my selections as his "most likely to fall." Speers and Knott. Guy thinks he's so smart. :rant:

:sarcasm:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Thanks guys! I figured out why Brock hasn't weighed in. He listed 2 of my selections as his "most likely to fall." Speers and Knott. Guy thinks he's so smart. :rant:

:sarcasm:

Knott was 2nd on his Day 2 list so I don't think he's that low on him.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
As you know, I quite like Roslovic and was trying to acquire your 31st pick to take him. Not surprised he went higher on Friday, and his value could rise if his return to the centre position plays out well.

Strong draft overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad