HFNHL Vegas 2017 Draft Review

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
1st round 6th overall, Elias Pettersson - C
This would be the Golden Knights very first pick ever in franchise history. Pettersson is arguably one of the most talented players available in the draft, the only really knock against him is his size 6’1†161 LBS. Obviously Elias has some work to do with his body before he’s ready to suit up in the HFNHL. It will most likely take a couple seasons before Pettersson is ready for duty. While we will have to have patience with our first ever pick, we fell in the end he will be well worth the wait.

2nd round 34th overall, Shane Bowers - C
Some will consider this a very safe pick, Bowers plays a complete two way game. He’s highly intelligent on the ice and responsible in his own end. There are questions as to how good he will be offensively once he reaches the HFNHL, however we aren't concerned. We think he’s be a middle 6 forward down the road that has a long career. He’s committed to Boston University where he’ll get to play in one of the top programs in the NCAA.

2nd round 38th overall, Maxime Comtois - W
A year ago Comtois was considered a top 5-10 pick in this draft, however maybe some unreasonable expectations after a breakout rookie campaign caused him to drop. He’s not the most skilled player but he has hockey sense and plays a strong north south game, competes every shift and isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. Needs to improve his first couple steps, but we feel we got another player that will make it to the show down the road.

3rd round 65th overall, Mackenzie Entwistle - C
He’s a big strong guy down the middle, with very good hockey sense. Entwistle has the ability to play on both the PP and PK. Again he’s a guy with question marks about how good offensively he can be at the next level, but he’s responsible defensively and plays hard.

3rd round 78th overall, Stelio Mattheos - C
A former first overall selection in the WHL bantam draft. Mattheos hasn’t developed the offensive game expected. He has shown versatility playing all three forward spots, and all over the lineup. Wherever he has been he fits into that role. He’s got good size and skating ability to go with smarts.

3rd round 79th overall, Ian Mitchell - D
A undersized defensemen that skates well, makes a good first pass, good in transition and shows a good hockey IQ. He was the only non major junior player to make Canadas under 18 team and is committed to the university of North Dakota where he will have to work on his defensive game while adding some size and strength.

3rd round 87th overall, Filip Westerlund - D
Another undersized smooth skating defensemen. Westerlund has a high hockey IQ, he’s very calm and patient with the puck. Willing to block shots and battle bigger players for the puck. Needs to add some size, strength and develop more consistency.

3rd round 93rd overall, Luke Martin - D
He just completed his first NCAA season with Michigan. Although he’s a gifted skater with the ability to handle the puck Martin projects more as a two-way defender. He make good strong passes and has a good shot, but it often misses the net. Reliable defensively Luke projects as a middle pairing defender.

While this wasn’t my first ever HFNHL draft, it was the first for the expansion Vegas Golden Knights. It’s no secret that being an expansion team we aren’t likely to see success for a few years, it’s going to take patience and time to build properly. With that being said I need to get players I think have the best chance of playing in the league at some point. So while I was looking to take the best player available, I wanted to get players I felt were relatively safe picks to eventually play. As part of my strategy in doing that I place a lot of value in scouting reports of players that have high hockey IQ, defensive responsibility, and skating. I came into the day with 7 picks in the first 3 rounds. One 1st, three 2nd, and three 3rd round picks. When my 3rd pick of the 2nd round rolled around all of the players I had targeted had been selected so I dealt the 55th pick to Detroit for the 78th and 93rd overall picks. That brought my total up to 8 picks on day one. I think day one overall went well, I stuck to my plan and while I may not have gotten any boom type players other then Pettersson, I feel like I got some players that I can count on to make it to Vegas one day.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
A very different strategy than most HF GM's who often love the super skilled, boom or bust type prospects over the blue chippers with low risk. I would say that you executed the strategy well - but still took that super skill package early.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Pettersson is a great pick to start, and one of the more fascinating players I've seen in recent years. On production alone, you'd think he should have pushed into the top 5 of the draft. They don't ask how, just how many. Not the franchise player you want in your first draft with the new club, but lots of upside in a relatively low-upside top 10.

The rest is an interesting mix of risers and fallers. I like Mitchell and Westerlund both - the former because of the skating and hands combo from the blueline, the latter because he just seemed to always be in control at the U18s. Those two, plus Martin, are a great trio in the third round.

I'm less sure what to make of the three forwards in the second round (Mattheos is a great third round pick). Entwhistle was great at the U18s, but if numbers count for Pettersson, they have to for him too. Bowers is one player I really wish had been at the U18s, because I don't have a feel for him as a player. And Comtois is just an interesting case because it's not like you can't see the tools anymore, just like he forgot the toolbox this year. Will be interesting to track his development

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
HFNHL Vegas Day Two Picks

Heading into day two we weren't fully convinced one way or the other as to should we keep the two 4th round picks or should we deal them. We never really let it be known that they were available until the night before the lists were due to be handed in. Which came after we seen **** some teams were getting for their picks. I guess we were late to that party as nobody inquired about them. So realizing that we missed the boat on some really nice returns we started to dig deeper into who we could pick with our two remaining 4th round picks.

4th round 96th overall, Patrick Harper - C
A really small forward from Boston University. Harper was selected by the Nashville Predators in last years NHL draft out of high school. The 5 foot 9 forward proceeded to be a point per game player in the NCAA finishing 2nd on his team behind only Clayton Keller and crack the US world junior team. Also he was ranked as the Predators 5th best prospect by the hockey news in this years future watch issue. This pick is as much about money as it is a swing for the fence. With money being so important we are hoping Harper helps us achieve some of that Mountain Dew endorsement money. As far as swinging for the fence we are hoping for a Jonny Gaudreau ascent to the HFNHL.

4th round 122nd overall, Calvin Thurkauf - C
Another overage player that was a surprise draft pick last year. Thurkauf was selected by the Blue Jackets in the 7th round. His first year in junior Calvin had some troubles adjusting and he also traveled a lot to play with Switzerland internationally. Thurkauf this year however took a step to proving that the Jackets were right in selecting him. He almost doubled his goal production in the WHL and was the captain of the Swiss world junior team. Calvin signed an entry level contract this year and could play in the AHL next season or maybe overage in the WHL. Calvin was also ranked as the Blue Jackets 10th best prospect by the hockey news in the future watch issue.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I thought you had a pretty strong draft and started Vegas down a decent path...until the Canucks picked Pettersson. Shame. You better trade him (to me) before they ruin his development. :sarcasm:

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Elias Pettersson 1:5 Vancouver +1
Shane Bowers 1:28 Ottawa +6
Maxime Comtois 2:50 Anaheim -12
Mackenzie Entwistle 3:69 Arizona -4
Stelio Mattheos 3:73 Carolina +5
Ian Mitchell 2:57 Chicago +22
Filip Westerlund 2:44 Arizona +43
Luke Martin 2:52 Carolina +41
Patrick Harper drafted by Nashville 2016
Calvin Thurgau drafted by Columbus 2016

This is my first draft where I didn't have a guy selected that wasn't drafted
I'm a little disappointed that Pettersson ended up in Vancouver. Also not thrilled about Carolina landing two of my selections but I've had luck there before with McGinn and Aho previously. I had 3 of my HFNHL 3rd round picks jump up into the 2nd round of the NHL draft and 1 of my 2nd rounders jump up into the 1st round of the NHL draft.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad