HFNHL Red Wings Draft Thread

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
This day overall was one I walk away happy with even if some heartbreak was involved as well. We walk away with 6 players hopefully many can be future NHLers.

1st round 3rd overall Logan Cooley Center.

It didn't take long to walk away disappointed in this draft. Our main target Juraj Slavovfsky was taken at second overall. Cooley however does check alot of boxes this team needs. Elite offensive tool set, center ice, complete player. His biggest knock is sometimes he get just a tad too fancy. Commited to go to college I would assume whoever takes him in the NHL will allow it so he can grow into his frame some more.

Projection: Top line offensive pivot.

1st round 31st overall Noah Ostlund Center

The difference between Ostlund, and Cooley is offensive tool set in my mind. Both are highly competitive, both for their age have no issues playing both ways on the ice. However Ostlund just doesn't have the shot to compete with Cooley. Ostlund is a play maker without a doubt, he prefers to pass rather than shoot. Something he will have to do more to be successful at the NHL level.

Projection: Middle six play making center.

2nd round 50th overall Paul Ludwinski Center/Winger

I watched alot of Ludwinski, due watching alot of North Bay games with my father at what is basically the half way point. No doubt about his motor an his compete level. He's got both in spades. However his offense isn't as good as you would like, and I do have some questions about his vision. That being said I think given his compete an toolset he should be a safe bottom 6 player at worst.

Projection: Middle 6 energy guy

2nd round 64th overall Matyus Sapovaliv Center

The first an only guy on our list over 6 foot, he was a guy I almost took at 50. But AGM convinced Ludwinski wouldn't fall that far, we snatched him. He landed in our lap though an can't be mad at that. A big center who played in all situations on a bad team an still preformed admirably. Like everyone above him it's hard to say if he's a 2nd liner or a really good bottom 6.

Projection: Middle six two way forward

3rd round 82nd overall Jake Karabella Center/Winger

A safe guy to likely be a bottom 6 Pk guy. Good motor, solid defensively, with okay offensive instincts. Nothing fancy, but he should be atleast an NHLer an at the 3rd round I am more than fine with that.

Projection: Bottom 6 Pk energy guy

3rd round 83rd overall Hugo Havlid Goalie

Ill be honest here, had the draft not played out like it was, an if we had more picks in this draft, then we probably don't make this deal. However I don't feel Havlid would have fallen to the 6th round. Havlid is small by goalie standards, but this kid can just flat out play. If your going to bank on a goalie with lesser size, then it's guys like Havlid who have just won an done well at every level they have played in.

Projection: Backup goalie NHL

With a 4th and a 6th rounder left we have basically ended our draft. Overall I'm happy with the class even if I wish a few different guys had fallen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad