HFNHL Rangers Draft Recap

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
The Rangers held 9 draft selections in the 2015 HFNHL Draft, including 3 of the top 39. The team came away with a balanced set of prospects, securing 4 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goaltender. Three of those players are expected to suit up for the Michigan Wolverines in 2015-16. This was not by design, but those players happened to be the most appealing on the draft board at the time of the picks.

Although it didn't affect any picks in this draft, they also made a significant move to acquire starting goaltender Antti Niemi for prospect Jake Paterson (acquired in the Kari Lehtonen trade) and a 5th round choice in 2016. The Rangers talked to a number of teams about bringing in a goaltender over the course of the weekend, and eventually came to an agreement with Toronto for Niemi.

Meet the draft picks:

Pick 1.9: D Zach Werenski; U of Michigan, NCAA; 6' 2.0" 206
Central Scouting Rank: 9 NA
NHL Draft (Differential): R1 8OV, Columbus (+1)

11035686056_ecb401b24f_z.jpg

Ben Kerr said:
Zach Werenski possesses high-end offensive ability with good passing skills, and strong ability to handle the puck and quarterback things from the blueline on the powerplay. Werenski is calm and poised with the puck. He has excellent stickhandling ability, which he can use to start the transition game, or to control the puck at the point on the powerplay. He has a very good slapshot, and excellent vision and passing skills. Offensively his hockey IQ is very high, and Werenski makes intelligent plays with the puck on his stick. He seems to be a step ahead of the play at times, and chooses the play that leads to the best scoring opportunity. All in, Weresnski is one of the top offensive defencemen prospects in this class.

Zach Werenski is not afraid to be physical in his own end of the rink. He can battle in the corners and works to clear the front of the net. He’s also been known to throw a hit if a forward comes down his side of the rink with his head down, though does not go out of his way and get himself caught out of position to do so. He is a strong defender, one-on-one, and off the rush. However, his overall defensive game does need some work. He can sometimes follow the puck too much, and get himself out of position as a result. He also needs some work on reading the play defensively. These things should come with maturity and coaching over the next several years though.

Pick 2.34: C Thomas Novak; Waterloo, USHL (U of Minnesota in 2015-16); 6' 0.5" 179
Central Scouting Rank: 28 NA
NHL Draft (Differential): R3 85OV, Nashville (-51)

0xvApABq.jpeg

Curtis Joe said:
A highly skilled playmaking center with first-rate "hockey sense" and puckhandling ability. Creates energy through being an offensively dominant presence. Plays an up-tempo game that can catch a lot of defencemen off guard; excellent skater.

Pick 2.39: G Mackenzie Blackwood; Barrie, OHL; 6' 4.0" 215
Central Scouting Rank: 1 NA G
NHL Draft (Differential): R2 42OV, New Jersey (-3)

Blackwood_TW_CHL_60043249.JPG

Ben Kerr said:
“Already at 6’4″ tall, MacKenzie Blackwood has the ideal size that teams look for in goaltenders now. He uses that size effectively and comes out to challenge shooters and take away the amount of net they have to look at. He skates extremely well and can back up quickly to close down the net on dekes. Blackwood is almost always square to the shooter, even on cross ice passes as he gets across very quickly due to a strong leg push. He stays in control and avoids oversliding. Blackwood plays a strong butterfly technique with strong legs that take away the bottom of the net, and an excellent glove hand.”

Pick 4.97: D Erik Černák; HC Kosice, Slovakia; 6' 3.0" 203
Central Scouting Rank: 16 EU
NHL Draft (Differential): R2 41OV, Los Angeles (+56)

461133514-erik-cernak-of-team-slovakia-looks-on-prior-gettyimages.jpg

Ben Kerr said:
Erik Cernak has excellent size, and uses it to play a stout defensive game. He clears the front of the net, and uses his size to impose his will in the corners. Cernak is already pretty strong, and he still has room to fill out his frame and add some more muscle, which will certainly help in those battles. He is willing to throw big hits if they become available, and can sometimes get himself out of position looking for those hits. He also can sometimes cross the line, as he did in elbowing Mikko Rantanen and earning a suspension during the World Juniors. Cernak also uses a long, and active stick to poke check the puck away from opponents, and to cut down on shooting and passing lanes. He can learn to be even better with it though, as he sometimes looks a little raw. Cernak keeps opponents to the outside on the rush, and in defending against the cycle, holding them to less dangerous areas on the ice. His positioning is pretty good most of the time, but can continue to get better. Cernak’s hockey sense and ability to read the play are important assets to his game. He is not afraid to put his body on the line and block shots.

Pick 4.117: LW Brendan Warren; USA U-18, USHL (U of Michigan in 2015-16); 6' 0.25" 191
Central Scouting Rank: 66 NA
NHL Draft (Differential): R3 81OV, Arizona (+36)

Warren_large.jpg

Future Considerations said:
Warren is a true north/south player who has a powerful skating stride, which catapults him up the ice in a hurry. Not much messing around for this future Michigan Wolverine as he plays a blue collar game with some offensive touch. Has a nose for the net and gets in quick on the forecheck to provide pressure. He isn’t a guy who wins every race with speed, but has the ability to get moving quickly and catch opponents if they are napping.

Pick 5.128: C Jean-Christophe Beaudin; Rouyn-Noranda, QMJHL; 6' 1.0" 181
Central Scouting Rank: 64 NA
NHL Draft (Differential): R2 71OV, Colorado (+57)

466019138-640x360.jpg

BSN said:
Jean-Christophe Beaudin of Rouyn Noranda was a Quebec league rookie this season who started a little slowly before turning it on halfway through the year when put on the top line for the Huskies: a role where he proved to not just be a passenger. He is a defensively responsible winger with decent size and smarts who knows where to go on the ice and can make an impact at both ends. He sees the ice well and makes a strong pass, but needs to learn to hurry up his pace as the league looked a little fast for him some nights.

Pick 5.129: LW Adam Marsh; Saint John, QMJHL; 6' 0.25" 191
Central Scouting Rank: 55 NA
NHL Draft (Differential): R7 200OV, Detroit (-71)

462624702-adam-marsh-of-the-saint-john-sea-dogs-looks-gettyimages.jpg

BSN said:
Employing a combination of speed and a lightning-quick release, Adam Marsh has been an impressive free agent find for the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs…

…Marsh, 17, has some of the tools that might remind one of a young Jeff Carter, but he is nowhere near as polished. He’s listed at 6’0” and 160 pounds and, admittedly, knows he must get stronger to further his hockey career.

Pick 7.201: D Nick Boka; USA U-18, USHL (U of Michigan in 2015-16); 6' 0.25" 197
Central Scouting Rank: 117 NA
NHL Draft (Differential): R6 171OV, Minnesota (+30)

rNkhQ39Z.jpg

Chris Dilks said:
I still like his upside and potential. He needs to get more reliable with the puck and sometimes gets caught watching in the defensive zone, but he's got all the physical tools.

Pick 7.203: D David Henley; Charlottetown, QMJHL; 6' 4.5" 203
Central Scouting Rank: 95 NA
NHL Draft (Differential): Undrafted

B97386648Z.120141030075008000GQC785LK.11.jpg

The Hockey Writers said:
A big bodied stay-at-home Defenceman listed at 6’4 and 203 lbs. He plays with a lot of physical edge and shows good balance. Henley likes to play the body and will never shy away from any physical battle. Central Scouting has ranked him 95th NA skaters. He had a good season with the Charlottetown Islanders being their number one shut down defenceman. The Val-d’or, QC native isn’t possessing a lot of offensive skills and rarely joins rushes but he is excellent in shutting down top lines. Because of his lack of offensive potential, teams will overlook him and he therefore needs to be considered a steal.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I have to say this is an impressive well rounded draft in all positions with lots of upside right through the two players in the 200's....

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I had Novak and Blackwood on my list for my second round selection but decided to go in a different direction at the last moment. I think you've ended up drafting the goalie I wanted
the last 3 drafts.

Boka could end up being a steal of pick that late.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I was torn on Werenski when planning out #6 or potential trade down options. I read a lot of good stuff on him and he could easily end up the best D in the draft but my bias towards Russians and the CHL kept directing me back to Provorov.

Excellent draft for the Rangers future though. Getting Niemi before he hit the market was a great move as well that should help keep the team competitive. Well done.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Sigh. All this Cernak love. I tried to weigh in my mind who would last the 10 or so picks from my first pick in the 4th round to my 2nd pick in the 4th round. I gambled that Knott was more highly sought after and lost on Cernak. Great draft though. Several of those day 2 guys were considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad