HFNHL Preseason Begins

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
After an unexpected delay it's time to get things going. For real this time. The 2016-17 HFNHL season will begin tomorrow, Monday November 27th, with a condensed preseason schedule.

Preseason Plan
Start: Monday November 27th
Finish: Friday December 2nd (early in the day)
Sim plans: There will be 4 game days a night Monday-Thursday and 5 on Friday to finish things up

The home page has been updated with a link for the preseason index page. Use it, and only it, to access current rosters. Team direct links at the bottom of the home page are NOT correct at this point. For those wanting a direct link...

http://hfnhl.org/2017/preseason/index.html

Action items & reminders

Waivers: New waivers rules start this season and as a result all players have been called up to pro rosters. Everyone is required to submit lines by end of night Thursday December 1st so players are on waivers by the end of preseason. If you have a player aged 25+ that was just signed as a UDFA this summer they are exempt from waivers and can be submitted to SimGod for that clearance. Anyone who does not submit lines will face discipline from the Commish and will have their rosters set for them without input. The post with more details can be found here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2102811&highlight=waivers.

Minimum roster requirements: By the start of the regular season all teams must have 3 goalies, 8 defenseman, and 14 forwards under contract in your system.

Salary cap/floor: As a reminder, this years cap is $73M and floor is $54M.

Lines: Submit through Dropbox as usual. If you lost access or can't get in let me know.

Regular Season Plan

I'm going away next weekend so there will be no updates until I'm back. Pending everyone getting lines in the regular season will tentatively begin Tuesday December 6th. We will run double headers for a month or so to catch up a little then will go back to single games as quickly as possible and will catch back up in the NHL playoffs.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Waivers went wonky tonight. I'm thinking maybe the fact I put on waivers before actually starting the preseason caused everyone to clear. I'll go through tomorrow and dump everyone that should be on waivers back again.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
So wait players being put on rosters can be claimed? How is that even fair? That means i could lose 4-5 players. Because their ratings arent good enough right now and im being forced to sign them

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
So wait players being put on rosters can be claimed? How is that even fair? That means i could lose 4-5 players. Because their ratings arent good enough right now and im being forced to sign them

If it's their first year with ratings then they can't actually be claimed on waivers. The fact that they're being put on waivers by the sim is just a limitation of the software.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver

I'm not sure I understand the question or problem here. If you have specific players (UDFA signed this summer) who you don't feel should be waiver eligible email simgod. If it's something else please clarify.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
I'm not sure I understand the question or problem here. If you have specific players (UDFA signed this summer) who you don't feel should be waiver eligible email simgod. If it's something else please clarify.

Like all the players called up for some random reason, minus UDFA and young players can be claimed? Cuz if so i regret sending some guys down.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Like all the players called up for some random reason, minus UDFA and young players can be claimed? Cuz if so i regret sending some guys down.

It's only players 25 years or older. And let's face it, none of them belong on the prospect list at 25 anyways.

So if you have a player that is :
- 25 years or older
- hasn't played enough games in the NHL to have a decent rating
- is not recently signed from Europe or college

They are put on waivers.

There are some diamonds in the rough here, but in general, we're not talking about top notch players. These are roster fillers for the lesser teams to fill in some holes on their team.

We're a lot more lax about this than the NHL. Look at some of the NHL players put on waivers who are just 22 or 23.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm on an earlier flight than planned today (in like 2 hours) so we won't be finishing the preseason until after the weekend. Here's the new plan...

• Final preseason games run Monday
  • Final waiver claims due by 9PM PST Tuesday (email to SimGod)
  • Final roster update before season posted Wednesday
  • Regular season begins Thursday

This gives everyone a few more days to get lines in and their roster set. A reminder for those of you that have already submitted lines...the max roster size is 25 players. It appears as though a few of you are above that even with players sent down.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
It's only players 25 years or older. And let's face it, none of them belong on the prospect list at 25 anyways.

So if you have a player that is :
- 25 years or older
- hasn't played enough games in the NHL to have a decent rating
- is not recently signed from Europe or college

They are put on waivers.

There are some diamonds in the rough here, but in general, we're not talking about top notch players. These are roster fillers for the lesser teams to fill in some holes on their team.

We're a lot more lax about this than the NHL. Look at some of the NHL players put on waivers who are just 22 or 23.

Im about to lose a player i just paid a second rounder for not long ago because his ratings arent out yet. And because our late start he just hit 25 if we started at the NHL he would hve passed through so im not happy about that. Even the NHL has no waivers on preseason. I had him safely in the minors till we forced every player up for what reason exactly? None its a null**** call that im not happy about because i just spent a second round pick to lose a player on a bad rule

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Im about to lose a player i just paid a second rounder for not long ago because his ratings arent out yet. And because our late start he just hit 25 if we started at the NHL he would hve passed through so im not happy about that. Even the NHL has no waivers on preseason. I had him safely in the minors till we forced every player up for what reason exactly? None its a null**** call that im not happy about because i just spent a second round pick to lose a player on a bad rule

1 - Why don't you ask Brock and Jeff if they would allow your player to not be waiver eligible? If he was under 25 at the NHL season start, you may have success just by asking.

2 - You don't have to waive him. Keep him up. I'm doing that with a player with no ratings because he's in his first NHL season and doing pretty well, but he's over 25. I'm gonna have to just manage my roster carefully since I'm at the cap, and send better players who are on ELC's and under 25 down for some games to keep cap compliant. The Washington Caps did that with one of my players last year, Stan Galiev. He was up all year but barely played.

3 - The NHL does have waivers in pre-season. This is how it is for the NHL, you have a camp and can only keep so many players, and the ones you want to send to the AHL have to go through waivers if they reach eligible status (usually after their ELC contract is up.) This year the Caps had to waive Galiev during preseason to send him down.

And while our rule isn't exactly like the NHL, it's close enough. I like it, it makes things more realistic.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I also LOVE this new rule change. It is much more realistic where I now have some options to fill out my 4th lines with real players. The NHL does this always. That is how Minnesota Wild picked up Teemu Pulkkinen to start the 2016-17 season, Chris Porter in 2015-16, and Nate Prosser in 2014-15.

And if you are talking about Bennett, I think he is a great example how realistic NHL waivers work. Waivers shouldn't be a 100% safe place, there should be some risk of losing some players. Notable players this year was Linden Vey, Austin Watson, Martin Frk, Teemu Pulkinen, Emerson Etem, and Sven Andrighetto. It is definitely unfortunate for you and I understand why you would be upset but I think it makes the game more interesting, entertaining and realistic as a team that will be actively using the waiver wire all year and needs it to fill out my 4th line.

But you also need a team that is willing to pick him up. A team that has the space (80 player max, 25 pro roster) and don't mind spending $2.5 mil on a player that will only play 4th line minutes.

For Minnesota, we have no interest in that. Higher ranked teams will probably have very little interest. Perhaps the bottom league teams that will be looking to add salary but they will for sure risk their Prudential Reward, lose out of the $3mil reward, and with the $2.5 cost, will be out $5.5 mil. Teams will have to think carefully. As such, I feel he SHOULD pass safely.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver

The only other thing I'll add is the waiver change was posted back in the summer. This isn't new now. You had lots of time to ask questions before we got to this point.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Bennett turned 25 about a week ago on November 27th, so if our season had started on time, Bennett would have been 24 during the pre-season and the sim would not have put him on waivers, right?

Yes correct thats part of my issue, it should be paying attention to who was 25 at the start of the NHL year not ours much like we do with everything else

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Why are you waiving him then? Just keep him at the big club. You won't be along in doing such a thing. It's hardly a big deal.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Beau Bennett makes $2,500,000 so you're paying him full salary regardless of whether he's in the minors or on the pro roster.

Besides that, he's 25 years old with a 57OV rating and only 1 goal in 20 games in the NHL this season while making 2.5 million forced salary. In other words someone may be doing you a favor if they claim him, not that that's any of my business :sarcasm:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm on an earlier flight than planned today (in like 2 hours) so we won't be finishing the preseason until after the weekend. Here's the new plan...

• Final preseason games run Monday
  • Final waiver claims due by 9PM PST Tuesday (email to SimGod)
  • Final roster update before season posted Wednesday
  • Regular season begins Thursday

This gives everyone a few more days to get lines in and their roster set. A reminder for those of you that have already submitted lines...the max roster size is 25 players. It appears as though a few of you are above that even with players sent down.

This timeline is going to be pushed back by a day. Upon arriving home and trying to process games tonight we've broken the Sim by having too many players on waivers. I'm going to document who's on waivers and some of the potential claims will have to be made manually through email. I just don't have the energy to do this tonight so I'll work on it tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad