HFNHL Playoffs: Blues vs Flames

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
How do you stop the most potent goalscoring team in the HFNHL? That's what the Calgary Flames have to figure out, and judging by the results of game one of the series, the answer is to stop the puck from ever reaching Roberto Luongo.

Game one featured an unusually low shot total for the Blues, with only 15 shots scattered over the three periods. The Flames blocked ten shots, led by the player that is more known for his scoring than his defensive play, Jeff Skinner. Skinner blocked 4 shots, while David Savard blocked 3. The Flames were especially successful in the 3rd period, where they held the Blues to just 3 shots.

At the other end of the ice, the Flames, who garnered more than 200 PIM during the regular season than the Blues, took advantage of 6 power play chances, scoring twice with the man advantage in the 4-2 win.

The Flames special teams, which were both stuck in the bottom 5 of the league after a 3rd of the regular season, has rebounded, with the PP and PK both finishing 8th in the league. The Flames will have to maintain those successes to have any shot at making round two, but so far so good.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Nice win.

For the life of me - with all settings reviewed in detail - how the hell you got twice as many power plays and held me to 15 shots, I'll likely never know.

But I guess that's the point. I don't know what the hell I'm doing come playoff time. Until I do, that is.

Of course, I do recall beating Sean's Canucks the first two games in a series in '07 by 13-2, only to lose there series in 6. And the next year I beat Ville's Avalanche 6-1 in the opener, only to lose in 6 games.

And on the other side of things, the following season after that, the Blues lost 8-3 to the Sharks in game 1, lost games 2 & 3, then came back to win 4 straight.

Actually, I'm good with this result now that I think on it! :handclap:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Nice win.

For the life of me - with all settings reviewed in detail - how the hell you got twice as many power plays and held me to 15 shots, I'll likely never know.

Actually, I'm good with this result now that I think on it! :handclap:

LOL. Sim being the sim.

Go defensive and you'll get 40 shots.

For the Flames, since this is an exercise in attendance revenue, getting to that home game in game 6 is the goal. Half way there. Anything beyond that is bonus.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Go defensive and you'll get 40 shots.

And just two games later the Flames give up 50 shots while only collecting 24 of their own. Yet they managed to take the Blues into double OT before Wayne Simmonds got the deciding marker.

The Blues have required OT to beat the Flames in their two wins. Both teams are tired, especially the Flames. It remains to be seen if Loungo will get the start or if Reimer draws in for game 5.

The series is tied at 2 as they head back to St. Louis.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Congratulations to Nick and the Blues on their series win. The Blues simply overpowered the Flamettes after winning the double OT game. The Flamettes never recovered from that stinging loss. Good luck the rest of the way Blues!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Thanks, Matt. Just noted the gaudy PP % for both teams - actually most playoff teams have been executing on the PP at a much higher level. I figured if my PP goals were the same as the Flames, I'd be in good shape given your superior special teams was really a key to win for you. But my Blues were able to get a few more chances and perform similarly, which made it tough for the Flamettes.

Still, a great season for your squad just the same, as your ascent has been quite obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad