HFNHL Penguins 2023 DRAFT report.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
First off, thank you to all the organizers who not only made the draft work but who take care of our league. You are the real heroes!

As usual, I put alot of research into this draft process.

I started reading THN at least 15-20 minutes before the draft so I am thrilled and confident that all this research will pay off.

1/7 - Oliver Moore - C
From the 1st report I read on this player, I knew I would have a tough time getting off this pick. I did consider a trade down and had 1 legit offer that I likely should have taken. Maybe a reach but I like the USNTDP and feel good about this prospect.

2/39 - Luca Cagnoni D
Another reach for a smooth skating but small offensive dman. Hopeful he can be drafted by an nhl club that will have the right development path in place.

2/49 - Koehn Ziemmer - RW
I was excited to draft this budding hard style scoring wing. 40 goals in the WHL and plays a pro style game.

2/53 - Trey Augustine - G
Another USNTDP player, some reports have him as the best G in the draft if not a little undersized.

2/62 - Beau Akey - D
Steady smooth skating dman with potential. Good pick for the late 2nd round.

4:118 - Dylan Mackinnon - D
Hard nosed and another strong skating dman. The exact type of player that is needed to compliment a deep offensive stock of prospect D.

7/218 - Jackson Dorrington - D
Drafted in 2022 by the NHL Canucks, this steady dman is a long range player but i will enjoy tracking his progress.

Overall I’m happy with this draft and look forward to your comments!

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Moore is a guy I had considered has I moved slightly down myself think his game breaking speed an atleast shown ability to match that somewhat with his brain. Makes him a really good player. The rest I can't say much on as I didn't get around to them in my scouting looks

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Good value all around, mister global citizen. Moore may be a reach at seven, I would agree, but he is a near lock to play in the NHL and even if his upside is something akin to Jean-Gabriel Pageau, that has great value in our league.

Of the later picks, Akey is one I think a lot of GMs liked, and I also had Dorrington quite high, almost snatching him up before you if one or two picks break differently. He was quite good as a freshman, and while I'm not sure there's a ton of upside, to play significant minutes as a true freshman in Hockey East is not easy, and I'm not surprised he got an invite to the US WJC camp for that reason. Size, skating and compete always has potential on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad