HFNHL pending deals

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Tampa Bays GM Martin Sedin denied to comment about rumours about Teemu Selänne and Bobby Ryan. Both Selänne and Ryan played in Tampas last game who was a victory, believe it or not.

Rumours in Tampa mention that Selänne and Ryan will be leaving town before this coming weekend.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Tampa Bay GM Martin Sedin confirms that both Teemu Selanne and Bobby Ryan have been traded, just waiting for league approval.

Next one out the door? Alex Tanguay! Send in your offers.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Rumour has the Panthers acquiring another top 6 winger...who will actually play on the team's 3rd line. This winger has a PA of 78 and great intangibles. ;)

This will give the Panthers a top 9 of...

Parise - Richards - Moulson
Neal - Savard - Sharp
Knuble - Reinprecht - Mysterious winger

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Rumour has the Panthers acquiring another top 6 winger...who will actually play on the team's 3rd line. This winger has a PA of 78 and great intangibles. ;)

Neal - Savard - Sharp

Panthers and Canes going head to head in who can kill there future for no glory cuz they wont win the cup award :p

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Neal - Savard - Sharp

Sounds like Horton to me

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto

Neal - Savard - Sharp
Simon Gagne

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Panthers and Canes going head to head in who can kill there future for no glory cuz they wont win the cup award :p

Who says I'm killing my future?

Giving up Darren Helm and one of my many defensive prospects for Savard sure doesn't.

And in this trade, I'm giving up a prospect outside of my top 10 and a veteran forward already on my roster.

:sarcasm:

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
When I read the posts in this thread regarding the two trades completed on the weekend, I almost went through the 7 stages of grief.

Shock and denial ("I'm not that much of an idiot, am I ?")

Anger ("Why the F do I have to answer to any other GM? It's my team and my players ...")

Reconstruction (" Ok, I can see why some would be upset... I should explain my reasoning...")

Both those trades are awful.

Those trades are so bad that I'm quitting as Ottawa GM effective immediately. I don't see any point in playing if deals like that are going through now.

I really hope you reconsider your decision. As others have mentioned this is a fantastic league and I'm sure you get a lot of enjoyment interacting with the fine gentlemen (and Alvaro) that are your fellow GMs ........

Should have got your ****** offers in before you were beaten to the punch :)

.... also you might be wise to at least rob me of someone like Tavares before you leave.

It might lessen the bitter taste in your mouth.

I agree that these deals are pretty lopsided (not quite sure what the Jets are thinking)

I thought long and hard about what was the appropriate way to describe my rationale in making these moves. I didn't want to disparage the players I traded away (Alvaro's probably already shopping Doughty), I did not want to bring up examples of other NHL players that would impact their trade value within the HFNHL for my fellow general managers.

First off, thanks to Sean K, Doug, Rich and Adil for explaining/justifying some of my reasoning behind these moves.

I made the following trades because I felt it is in my best interest to rebuild my team and to create a team that has some depth beyond an elite forward, d-man and goalie. This is a new sim to me, but from my past experiences, depth and players that play specific roles ensure the greatest success as opposed to just pure star power.

I have a multi-year plan where things will get worse before they get better, but my goal is to be competitive year in and year out once the pain subsides.

I'll address the Doughty trade specifically because I feel I can use examples of other players without negatively affecting their trade value.

A year after the 2008 draft, the consensus would have been that LA would have been mad to trade Doughty in a package that included Tyler Myers as the main piece. After Myers' rookie season, there would be some that thought that Myers plus a top ten/top five pick for Doughty, might be a bad idea for Buffalo.

Look at the other d-men in that draft, Alex Pietrangelo's breakthrough year happened two years after Doughty's. Karlsson's 3 years. Hell, Zach Bogosian might still end up being the best of the bunch.

My point is that I think with young players, it's hard to accurately gauge their value until they are 25-26. They have ups and downs.

There's an old saying that whoever gets the best player in the deal, wins the trade. Doughty is the best player in the deal today and will likely be that way in 5 years and in 10 years.

However, I'm taking a chance that having a potential top pairing d-man (but not a future perennial Norris hopeful like Doughty) in Ellis, a top line winger in Nino and a < 25 d-man in Franson who is just now finding his stride (could end up a solid #4), coupled with the financial flexibility, will be better for my team in the long run than Doughty winning multiple HFNHL Norris Trophies.

It doesn't hurt that my team is worse today, which helps my first round pick as well.

Hope that makes some sense.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Don't understand gm's that say that this trade his bad....they better start looking at their teams...... Ryan Ellis will shut you're mouth in less than a year...:shakehead

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
When I read the posts in this thread regarding the two trades completed on the weekend, I almost went through the 7 stages of grief.

Shock and denial ("I'm not that much of an idiot, am I ?")

Anger ("Why the F do I have to answer to any other GM? It's my team and my players ...")

Reconstruction (" Ok, I can see why some would be upset... I should explain my reasoning...")

I really hope you reconsider your decision. As others have mentioned this is a fantastic league and I'm sure you get a lot of enjoyment interacting with the fine gentlemen (and Alvaro) that are your fellow GMs ........

.... also you might be wise to at least rob me of someone like Tavares before you leave.

It might lessen the bitter taste in your mouth.

I thought long and hard about what was the appropriate way to describe my rationale in making these moves. I didn't want to disparage the players I traded away (Alvaro's probably already shopping Doughty), I did not want to bring up examples of other NHL players that would impact their trade value within the HFNHL for my fellow general managers.

First off, thanks to Sean K, Doug, Rich and Adil for explaining/justifying some of my reasoning behind these moves.

I made the following trades because I felt it is in my best interest to rebuild my team and to create a team that has some depth beyond an elite forward, d-man and goalie. This is a new sim to me, but from my past experiences, depth and players that play specific roles ensure the greatest success as opposed to just pure star power.

I have a multi-year plan where things will get worse before they get better, but my goal is to be competitive year in and year out once the pain subsides.

I'll address the Doughty trade specifically because I feel I can use examples of other players without negatively affecting their trade value.

A year after the 2008 draft, the consensus would have been that LA would have been mad to trade Doughty in a package that included Tyler Myers as the main piece. After Myers' rookie season, there would be some that thought that Myers plus a top ten/top five pick for Doughty, might be a bad idea for Buffalo.

Look at the other d-men in that draft, Alex Pietrangelo's breakthrough year happened two years after Doughty's. Karlsson's 3 years. Hell, Zach Bogosian might still end up being the best of the bunch.

My point is that I think with young players, it's hard to accurately gauge their value until they are 25-26. They have ups and downs.

There's an old saying that whoever gets the best player in the deal, wins the trade. Doughty is the best player in the deal today and will likely be that way in 5 years and in 10 years.

However, I'm taking a chance that having a potential top pairing d-man (but not a future perennial Norris hopeful like Doughty) in Ellis, a top line winger in Nino and a < 25 d-man in Franson who is just now finding his stride (could end up a solid #4), coupled with the financial flexibility, will be better for my team in the long run than Doughty winning multiple HFNHL Norris Trophies.

It doesn't hurt that my team is worse today, which helps my first round pick as well.

Hope that makes some sense.

Didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing you as a GM, although looking back, I can see it's easy to interpret my comments that way. Was just providing my opinion on the moves... which, you're right, in the long run could be proven quite wrong. Not everyone values players the same way and not everyone has the same strategy for building their teams. I appreciate you taking the time to explain your rationale... and it's not something you HAD to go out of your way to explain (you're right - it's your team and your players and you don't HAVE to answer to other GMs).

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Yes im a LA kings fan, I like Doughty , I love so much the kings that I that I gaved Rangers 1st round pick for Jordan weal..... El amor, sometimes make u do things..and I'm in a playoff run why not amigo?? tell me why not??

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Yes im a LA kings fan, I like Doughty , I love so much the kings that I that I gaved Rangers 1st round pick for Jordan weal..... El amor, sometimes make u do things..and I'm in a playoff run why not amigo?? tell me why not??

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good deal for you (as I mentioned in this thread already). But if he's a good as you say, Ellis may be the one "shutting your mouth" (if that's possible ;) ) since you're the one who traded him away.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good deal for you (as I mentioned in this thread already). But if he's a good as you say, Ellis may be the one "shutting your mouth" (if that's possible ;) ).

I'm ready to give My wild 1st round back to get Ryan Ellis back amigo. :nod:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I am sure all of us has made trades that they regret later on when they realize what they gave up. There are couple of trades I made that I wish I could take back. One of the trade was with Nashville where I gave up Correy Perry for Martin Biron and the other being Radulov (who never played a single game for me) and gave up 3rd and 4th overall pick to Carolina which ended up being Matt Duchene and Braydon Schenn.

As for Ottawa, I am sure many of us felt that you made couple of trades that were questionable and one in particular that comes to mind is your trade with Florida where you gave up Patrick Sharp for Brian Campbell. At the time, I thought Brock did a fine job of unloading it to you. However, now it look like an even trade as Campbell has turned his game around with Florida.

As much as it is pinching me to see Mr. Alvaro picking up a player like Drew and perhaps taking the division title, I thought the trade was fair as the players Winnipeg got in return have lot of potential and have already started their career in the NHL.

I am sure Philly are aware that Stamkos and Daughty will take half of his total cap room next season and Swingstein family are eagerly waiting for that big pay day:nod:

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
I am sure all of us has made trades that they regret later on when they realize what they gave up. There are couple of trades I made that I wish I could take back. One of the trade was with Nashville where I gave up Correy Perry for Martin Biron and the other being Radulov (who never played a single game for me) and gave up 3rd and 4th overall pick to Carolina which ended up being Matt Duchene and Braydon Schenn.

As for Ottawa, I am sure many of us felt that you made couple of trades that were questionable and one in particular that comes to mind is your trade with Florida where you gave up Patrick Sharp for Brian Campbell. At the time, I thought Brock did a fine job of unloading it to you. However, now it look like an even trade as Campbell has turned his game around with Florida.

As much as it is pinching me to see Mr. Alvaro picking up a player like Drew and perhaps taking the division title, I thought the trade was fair as the players Winnipeg got in return have lot of potential and have already started their career in the NHL.

I am sure Philly are aware that Stamkos and Daughty will take half of his total cap room next season and Swingstein family are eagerly waiting for that big pay day:nod:

Amigo those 2 guy are Franchise to me.....a yes and Taylor Hall too

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I just have to say that we've all underestimated Keiths judgement before. I heard nothing but complaints and doubt about the Stamkos for Tavares deal... but look at how that's working out - and in fact I watched Tavares a couple times recently and today I would rather have him than Stamkos. So... it won't be long before we're all thinking what great deals these are :D

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
I just have to say that we've all underestimated Keiths judgement before. I heard nothing but complaints and doubt about the Stamkos for Tavares deal... but look at how that's working out - and in fact I watched Tavares a couple times recently and today I would rather have him than Stamkos. So... it won't be long before we're all thinking what great deals these are :D

:clap:
Nice senor Matt and Happy birthday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad