HFNHL Oilers Draft Summary

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Day 1
Coming into the day the Oilers only had two picks (10th and 21st) with the second being traded within a few minutes of the draft starting.

Outgoing to Detroit was the 21st overall pick with Joonas Korpisalo and Brendan Leipsic coming back to the Oilers. Both players were one's GM Niece knew well having drafted them in his prior tenure with the Red Wings. Korpisalo was the last of a string of goalies he had drafted during his years in Detroit and is likely to be the backup to Chad Johnson for the HFNHL Oilers next season.

With the only pick in the first day (10th overall) Edmonton selected defenseman Juuso Valimaki from the Tri-City Americans. While 10th was earlier than most ranking services placed him (averaged 17th) GM Niece felt strongly that Valimaki's solid 2way play and no glaring holes in his game was a wise choice for a franchise in desperate need of rebuilding it's farm system.

Rumour has it the other options being debated right up to the last minute were Nick Suzuki and Martin Necas.

DAY 2

F Maxim Mamim (4th rnd) - With their first pick on day 2 the Oilers selected a 2016 draftee of the NHL Panthers (now signed to ELC)
Mamin a 1way player plays a very North American style game with North/South speed and an edge to his game that complements his offence. Nikolai Kulemin would be the best Russian comparable.

D David Noel (5th rnd) - 2 way dman with some edge to his game. While he has great upper body strength he oddly has not worked as hard on lower body strength which has left his skating and acceleration sub-par. Given this was the only consistent criticism of scouts the Oilers were happy to select him in the 5th.

G Kirrill Ustimenko - True to form GM Niece was all over a Wildcard goalie late in the draft. Honestly the biggest fear I had was he won't come to NA but given the NHL Flyers took him in the 3rd I hope that is an indication they feel he will. The big goalie has a very unorthodox style keeping square to the shooter with fast lateral speed. In fact at times he made me think of tabletop hockey with the goalie rapidly moving side to side with little change in his stance - if you watch any YouTube videos of him you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Day 1
Coming into the day the Oilers only had two picks (10th and 21st) with the second being traded within a few minutes of the draft starting.

Outgoing to Detroit was the 21st overall pick with Joonas Korpisalo and Brendan Leipsic coming back to the Oilers. Both players were one's GM Niece knew well having drafted them in his prior tenure with the Red Wings. Korpisalo was the last of a string of goalies he had drafted during his years in Detroit and is likely to be the backup to Chad Johnson for the HFNHL Oilers next season.

With the only pick in the first day (10th overall) Edmonton selected defenseman Juuso Valimaki from the Tri-City Americans. While 10th was earlier than most ranking services placed him (averaged 17th) GM Niece felt strongly that Valimaki's solid 2way play and no glaring holes in his game was a wise choice for a franchise in desperate need of rebuilding it's farm system.

Rumour has it the other options being debated right up to the last minute were Nick Suzuki and Martin Necas.

What do I do with the thousands of pre orders of Valimaki Wild jerseys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad