HFNHL offseason free agents

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
As far as matching term goes, i understand not being able to extend an offer for a longer term than teir current NHL deal, but what if a guy is signed in the NHL to a long-term deal - can you auto re-sign him to a shorter term at the same cap hit?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
As far as matching term goes, i understand not being able to extend an offer for a longer term than teir current NHL deal, but what if a guy is signed in the NHL to a long-term deal - can you auto re-sign him to a shorter term at the same cap hit?

LOt of these long term deals are front loaded with $1M at the end. So we normally take the 4 year cap rather than the whole contract.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
LOt of these long term deals are front loaded with $1M at the end. So we normally take the 4 year cap rather than the whole contract.

It depends of course. Sometimes the deal is very front loaded - like paying a player $10M in the first year or two, in order to get him for less long term (the present value of money, makes a front loaded deal worth more than a backended deal for the same gross amount).

The real caveat, is as you say, if there are a few $1M years added to the end. Those you generally have to discount, in particular if the guy is going to be in his 40's.

An example would be Daniel Briere. His last year in his current deal is only $3M, and his first year was over $8M I believe, but I think the overall cap number is fair and that $3M year is actually legit. So that would be included in the cap.

As to whether you can do a shorter term, we haven't really encountered that scenario given everyone typically tries to lock up to the max, but I suppose it would be the agents discretion if the team didn't want to commit long-term to match the term of the NHL deal. Which is to say, no, there wouldn't be an auto-sign if the HFNHL team wouldn't commit to the player the way the NHL team did. The term is always part of the deal.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
As to whether you can do a shorter term, we haven't really encountered that scenario given everyone typically tries to lock up to the max, but I suppose it would be the agents discretion if the team didn't want to commit long-term to match the term of the NHL deal. Which is to say, no, there wouldn't be an auto-sign if the HFNHL team wouldn't commit to the player the way the NHL team did. The term is always part of the deal.

I assumed the question was geared towards these 6-10 year deals where we can only sign someone to 4 years. Do we get to auto sign a player over 4 years at the same cap hit as that 6-10 year deal...taking into account random $1M type years on the end.

I like the idea that not all players added via recent trades will auto sign. If anything, I'd like to see far less players accept the auto sign. Our FA pretty much sucks because of things like this. I know it's tough to manage but it's unrealistic that every player will sign with their existing team 100% of the time as they do now. Some players simply don't want to stay where they are for a variety of reasons...money, want to play for a winner, want to play with a friend, want to play at home etc.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Canucks have re-signed the following players:

David Krejci
Kris Letang
Brandon Yip
Carey Price
Jason Demers
David Backes
Ryan Callahan
James Wisniewski

The two other big free agents are Brodeur and Quincey. As most would expect, Brodeur will not be re-signed. Quincey will either be re-signed or simply qualified eventually. That decision is still forthcoming.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I assumed the question was geared towards these 6-10 year deals where we can only sign someone to 4 years. Do we get to auto sign a player over 4 years at the same cap hit as that 6-10 year deal...taking into account random $1M type years on the end.

I like the idea that not all players added via recent trades will auto sign. If anything, I'd like to see far less players accept the auto sign. Our FA pretty much sucks because of things like this. I know it's tough to manage but it's unrealistic that every player will sign with their existing team 100% of the time as they do now. Some players simply don't want to stay where they are for a variety of reasons...money, want to play for a winner, want to play with a friend, want to play at home etc.

The other idea that has been mentioned is auto-sign only applies when the player was there a full season. So if you trade for a guy mid-season and he is a pending UFA (rental, basically), the player won't go the auto-sign route given there is a limited amount of loyalty (if any). I certainly think this warrants consideration and it would help boost free agency.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Two more RFAs off the market as Ladislav Smid and Chris Thorburn both signed multi-year extensions to continue playing for Mike Babcock and the Columbus Blue Jackets beyond this season. The big fish (Vokoun, Langenbrunner) still remain unsigned

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames have extended Niklas Backstrom for two more years at a substantial raise - and will probably re-sign Hejduk and Budaj in the coming week.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Anyone who is curious to see the signings can check the file under Yahoo under the folder 2011 free agent signings

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The Jackets have extended Tomas Vokoun, making him one of the 5 highest-paid goalies in the HFNHL. The team confirmed that it's a long-term deal, GM Emerson only stating that "Vokoun will spend the rest of his career here helping to make this team a contender."

Brent Burns Beard