4th Round - #113 - Joel Teasdale - LW
5th Round - #136 - Drake Rymsha - C
6th Round - #165 - Denis Smirnov - LW
7th Round - #195 - Mark Rubinchik - D
7th Round - #196 - Lukas Zetterberg - RW/LW

#11 ERIK BRANNSTROM - D - HV71 (SHL)
5'10" 193lbs

MG_93432.jpg

Very few youngsters play see regular ice time in the SHL; even less play 20 minutes in games. But that is exactly what defenseman Erik Brannstrom did. He may be small, but he's stocky, smart, and mobile. He was the SWE-JR defenseman of the year as well as led ALL players (not just defenesmen) in shots during the WJC-18. As one of the youngest players in the draft, he hope he still has alot of room to grow. He expect him to command top four minutes in the SHL and command a key role in many future Swedish international games.

#72 MAKSIM ZHUKOV - G - GREEN BAY (USHL)
6'2" 194lbs

C3cqLU8WcAENN1C.jpg

NHL size combined with mobility, agility, and athleticism, no wonder why he was named the WJC U-18 top goaltender. He is quick but doesn't make too many wasted movements. With the uncertainty of whether the Wild's top goalie prospect Elvis Merzlikins will ever make it over the pond, grabbing a top goalie like Zhukov in the 3rd was exciting!

#113 JOEL TEASDALE - LW - BLAINVILLE-BOISBRIAND (QMJHL)
5' 11.25" 192lbs

Joel+Teasdale+Shawinigan+Cataractes+v+Blainville+TN9R56FyvBkl.jpg

Heading into Day 2, the aim was to find character and versatile prospects and none top the list like Teasdale. Teasdale is known for his tenacity on the forecheck and competitiveness. Not only is he projected to be over 200lbs in his stocky frame, he also brings an offensive skillset as he was 2nd in team scoring. He will be a prospect that can play in any role on any line; exactly what the Wild were aiming for with the later picks.

#136 - DRAKE RYMSHA - C - SARNIA (OHL)
5' 11.75" 187lbs

DRAFT-Ruzicka-320x171.jpg

Some online scrub did say this about Drake:

2. Drake Rymsha - Forward - Sarnia Sting Rymsha is a guy I think NHL teams could look at as early as the 3rd round. If he didn't get hurt last year, I think he would have definitely been an NHL draft pick after a solid 16 year old season in London. But he came back strong this year, first with Ottawa to start the year, and even more so after a trade to Sarnia. His 35 goals on the year were tied for the 8th most by any U19 player in the league, equivalent to or better than the likes of Cliff Pu, Adam Mascherin, and Boris Katchouk. On top of goal scoring ability, Rymsha also brings speed and tenacity and is a very complete player. His faceoff percentage of 58.4 was also the 7th best in the entire OHL of players who took more than 800 faceoffs on the year. This guy is a legitimate pro prospect

#165 - DENIS SMIRNOV - LW - PENN STATE (BIG-10)
5' 8.25" 185lbs

psuhock-6.jpeg

With Joel Teasdale and Drake Rymsha drafted as character, versatile forwards, it was time to take a gamble on a high risk/high reward prospect with a late pick - that being Denis Smirnov! In his first year of college hockey, he was top 20 in NCAA Div 1 scoring, led the entire nation in freshman scoring and setting a Penn State single-season record for points and assists. The main problem is his lack of size and speed to make up for his height but it should well worth a 6th round pick.

#195 MARK RUBINCHIK - D - SASKTOON (WHL)
5' 11.75" 179lbs

Nov20_Prospect-Profile_WHL.jpg

After drafting Libor Hajek last year, the Wild scouts had ample time to evaluate Rubinchik and were generally surprised to still see available in the 7th round. After all, Rubinchik was named Top 3 Player on his team during the WJC U-18 with points in 7 games and is known for his hard-hitting antics from the blueline. He brings a mix of mobility, offense, and grit that is very welcome nearing the end of the draft.

#196 LUKAS ZETTERBERG - RW/LW - VASTERAS (SWE-2)
6' 1.0" 201lbs

thumb_700.jpg

And the Wild draft the son of Henrik Z....wait, this isn't his son? A different Zetterberg? Who would have known there was another Zetterberg in Sweden. Either way, Lukas Zetterberg is a stocky 6-1 201lbs player who produced very well in the 2nd best Swedish league so its a promising sign moving forward.

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I was a little surprised to see Brannstrom go at 11 but I really like the pick. I wasn't quite sure when he was going to go but I wanted to try to line up a couple deals to jump up in the 1st to grab him somewhere in the 15-20 range if he started to fall a bit.

I also wanted to target Zhukov somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rounds so I like that pick. Will have to wait a bit to see what you've got but seems to have a lot of potential in there.

Hopefully Teasdale & Rymsha work out for you after our trade where you landed those picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad