HFNHL Lightning 2016 Draft Recap

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
As I've done the last few years, this recap is more a play-by-play look at my draft and trades and not just a list of players. It's a long read but I find it fun to put together so here we go...

Heading into the draft I held 13 picks, all in the top 4 rounds, 10 of which were on Day One. The season was a grind that left me picking 1st overall, and through an extremely lucky 2016 draft day trade, I also ended up with the 3rd overall pick to go with it. With 8 picks in the 2nd & 3rd I was set up with the same primary objective as last year; trade up/down to make 5-6 picks on Day One with the rest being traded out to set myself up for the 2017 draft. To that end, this draft did not go as planned, as despite 5 trades on the day, only 2 extra picks were added for next year. That said, nobody will feel sorry for me I imagine, as a pipe dream objective came together that saw a HFNHL draft history first (I think) play out.

In the month leading up to the draft I had been in touch with Wild GM Dan Chan on & off about a blockbuster trade. What seemed like a real possibility early on quickly fell apart as we neared the draft. In a last ditch effort, mostly just for fun, I made an offer the night before the draft that seemed to get Dan back considering the option. Draft day morning the answer was still no. I upped the ante and fired one final bullet shortly before the draft started...

Pick 1.1: C - Auston Matthews, Swiss 6'2 216lbs

Auston-Matthews-ZSC.jpg

The consensus 1st overall pick, I never truly wavered in who I was going to pick. A skilled player with great size & strength for his age, he's the potential franchise top line Centre all teams covet. Made the controversial move to play professional hockey in Europe this year rather than the usual NCAA or CHL route. He didn't look out of place playing against men as he led his team in goal scoring. He plays strong along the boards and in traffic so his game should translate just fine to the NHL. The only downside to Matthews is that I might need to start watching Leafs games soon. Ugh.

NHL Potential: Franchise 1C

Immediately after this pick was made I get a message from Dan..."lets do it". The pipe dream scenario had played out. I had landed the 2nd overall pick, giving me the 1st, 2nd & 3rd overall picks in the draft, a first in HFNHL history (I think). Adding Matthews to my system left me relatively deep at Centre but I had a glaring need on wing. With that in mind I packaged up my top prospect, and last years 5th pick Dylan Strome, along with Vladislav Namestnikov and the 50th & 78th picks for the 2nd, 66th and 156th picks. It's a deal that will be much debated until we see what Strome and the next pick end up doing in the NHL.

Pick 1.2: W - Patrik Laine, Liiga 6'4 206lbs

As noted, I felt I needed to add another top tier winger to my system and I hope to have done just that with Laine. Whether it's just media creation remains to be seen but Laine has done all he could to make the conversation for 1st a little more interesting and cement himself as the 2nd pick at the very least. From his performance at the WJC, his Liiga regular season, the Liiga playoffs and then World Championships, Laine continues to set the bar higher and higher as he racks up accolades. A gifted goal scorer with a hard accurate shot, whether it be a wrister off the rush or a one-timer from the half boards, he finds ways to score. Has soft hands and some great dangles coming down his off wing. Skating isn't top end but it's decent for a kid his size. Even if his game doesn't fully translate to the smaller ice he should be a PP weapon with his shot.

NHL Potential: Top line scoring winger

Pick 1.3: W - Jesse Puljujarvi, Liiga 6'4 203lbs

2_Puljujarvi_(Finnish%20Hockey%20League).png

The last of the perceived top tier of players in this draft and a no brainer selection for me whether I traded for the 2nd pick or not. Puljujarvi adds another top tier winger prospect to my system and will hopefully form a top line with Matthews & Laine a few years down the road. A forgotten prospect of sorts with all the attention garnered by Matthews & Laine, he's a fantastic prospect in his own right. He combines size & skating to play a very hard game that allows him to force turnovers and create offensive chances. Has a very good shot that allows him to score from all over the ice. Some have questioned his hands & stick handling but any issues there should be overcome as he settles into his body. Plays a strong all around game that should allow him to succeed in a variety of roles in the NHL and is a great team player.

NHL Potential: Top line all-around winger

And now I had a few minutes to exhale after this start. I tried trading up into the teens to draft Luke Kunin or German Rubtsov without any luck. My focus then turned to trading 31 for a 2017 pick but no luck there either. After striking out I was on the clock again...

Pick 2.31: C/W - Tyler Benson, WHL 6'0 201lbs

dw_tyler_benson_vancouver.jpg

This will likely be viewed as a reach by some but I couldn't help myself. I go to a number of Giants games a year, and while he didn't play a ton this year, I always felt he was the best player on the ice for the Giants and I had to have him. Heading into the season he was viewed as a top 10 prospect, injuries really derailed things for him, causing him to miss a ton of games and the Top Prospects Game. His offensive ceiling can be questioned but he plays such a smart strong game that I think will allow him to have success in the NHL. He's strong on the boards, goes to the dirty areas, throws his weight around while showing flashes of playmaking and scoring ability. If he puts it all together he could be a complementary player in the top 6, but if not, he has a chance at being a decent 3rd line player.

NHL Potential: 2nd line complementary player & team leader

I had a few guys on the board I liked at 38 but an offer came in from the Ducks that allowed me to add another pick in the 2nd back to replace the one I traded away earlier so I took it. 38 & 69 went to Anaheim for 47 & 51 and Roy immediately took one of the players I was considering (Sam Steel). I immediately went back to work to trade back up a bit from 47 to land the last of my early 2nd round targets so I sent 47 & 87 to the beloved Jets for 41.

Pick 2.41: W - Adam Mascherin, OHL 5'10 206lbs

Mascherin2.jpg

I locked in on Mascherin in the last week and almost took him at 31 before my homerism took over. Not without his warts, Mascherin is a skilled scorer that has a deadly shot (a trend for me early). Not a tall kid but has a stocky build that allows him to power through opponents in the OHL and should allow him to survive in the NHL. His skating needs to improve as does his consistency on the defensive end and throughout games in general. With any sort of improvement in these areas he could end up as a steal at this point, or without improvements, an AHL all star.

NHL Projection: 2nd line goal scorer

Pick 2.51: D - Filip Hronek, CzeE 6'0 163lbs

10_kolo_zlin_hronek.jpg

While I had flirted with taking a goalie at 41, I gambled one of Gustavsson or Hart would fall to 51, and of course they didn't. I had again tried to trade out to 2017 with no luck so I was forced to reach a little for Hronek, who I really liked, just not at 51. He's an undersized defender and doesn't get a lot of attention playing in the Czech Extraleague. I think if he played in a better league, even with his slight build, he would be a little more highly regarded. Is a strong player and makes very smart decisions with the puck. Can be creative offensively and run a PP. Obviously not a physical player and can be overpowered but has good compete level and plays improving positional defense.

NHL Projection: 2nd pair smart/skill defender

Pick 3.61: C - Henrik Borgstrom, LiigaJr 6'3 176lbs

2016-02-21-Kollit-Jokerit-0006-R1ku.jpg

Another pick I tried to trade out of with no success. I still wanted a goalie but felt I could wait a little longer so I went with Borgstrom, my 3rd Finnish player of the draft. He's a 2nd year eligible who hit a growth spurt and is just learning to play in his new frame. His skating still needs to improve but is a very skilled offensive player with some consistency issues. Even with those he was still named a first team all star for HIFK in the LiigaJr U20 league. Will be moving to the University of Denver next year where he'll be given time to fill out his frame and work on his skating while learning to adapt his offensive game to the smaller ice surface.

NHL Potential: 2nd line offensive centre

Pick 3.66: G - Evan Fitzpatrick, QMJHL 6'3 222lbs

evan_fitzpatrick_sherbrooke_092715.jpg

He certainly wasn't the goalie I wanted but I came into the day wanting to grab at least one so I made the move at this point. In a draft full of smaller goalies near the top he has closer to NHL size and has experience representing Canada internationally and played in the Top Prospects Game. Has all the physical tools one would want in a starting goalie but hasn't been able to put them together yet. Shows flashes of ability but also questionable intensity at times. Will be a long term project.

Sometime after this pick Lee Stempniak was traded to Florida for the 83rd pick. Leading up to my next selection at 75 a tentative trade was lined up that never ended up happening as my last real target of the day was still on the board...

Pick 3.75: D - Victor Mete, OHL 5'10 174lbs

victor-mete-640x513.jpg

Mete is someone I identified as a target watching the Memorial Cup. Initially I considered taking him with one of my 2nd round picks but decided it was a little too early given his size. At this point in the draft however it was an easy selection for me. I have no idea where he'll be drafted in the NHL, but if he was 3 inches taller, he could challenge for a 1st round pick with his skating & offensive skill. He roams the ice and explores in the offensive end regularly but uses his excellent skating to get back into position. Can make good passes or rush the puck himself. Also got some PP time on a deadly London team. Must get stronger to be able to handle NHL forwards and learn to be a little better positionally in his own zone.

NHL Potential: 2nd pair puck rushing defender

With Mete locked up and Sokolov off the board with the next pick I went back to the negotiating table with the enemy. After some friendly (and not so friendly CAPS) banter the 83rd pick was traded for 2017 3rd & 4th picks, the only two added during the draft.

That wrapped up a very exciting day at Tampa HQ. In total 9 players were selected (3 in each round) and 5 trades were made, including yet another draft day blockbuster to add the 2nd overall pick. While the trade out to 2017 aspect was a failure, Day One of the draft was a resounding success overall and should help set the turning point in the rebuild.

Trade Summary
Out
Dylan Strome
Vladislav Namestnikov
Lee Stempniak

In
#2 - Patrik Laine
#41 - Adam Mascherin
#51 - Filip Hronek
#66 - Evan Fitzpatrick
#156 - TBD
2017 3rd
2017 4th

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Love the haul. Hate the fact that I believe it came down to your offer for 2nd overall against mine. I probably needed to make the McAvoy pick anyway. Ha. Great job. You've just built the core for your team in one draft.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
This will go down as one of the most unique and incredible moments in HFNHL draft history. The top three picks is just incredible. The lack of Poolparty reference is the only reason I dislike this write-up.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Obviously getting the top 3 picks was huge. I also really like your Benson pick, he's a player that I was considering at 22 had I not traded it. Not sure he would have been the pick at 22 but he was under consideration.

And I wouldn't be surprised if NHL teams are giving him consideration in the late 1st either. He was a 1st round talent coming into the year and a combo of injuries and a poor team really derailed the season for him. I think he has a strong all around game, has a good work ethic and is a good team kid.

That said, I'm also not going to be surprised if he falls into the mid/late 2nd either. Will be fun to watch this weekend.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Being in and out of the draft I hadn't realized this had happened until much later. Did the ultimate double take.

In some ways, I like Strome so much, I'm not sure I would have pulled off the trade, as a Strome-Matthews 1-2 at center would be something, but hey, I'm the guy who united the Sedin twins in the twilight of their HFNHL careers, so I do like the move overall from a karma perspective.

I like the Benson pick a lot. I had him late 20's on my draft board based on the upside potential. Liked Borgstrom and Fitzpatrick picks in the 3rd too.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
In some ways, I like Strome so much, I'm not sure I would have pulled off the trade, as a Strome-Matthews 1-2 at center would be something, but hey, I'm the guy who united the Sedin twins in the twilight of their HFNHL careers, so I do like the move overall from a karma perspective.

I think many people were quick to dismiss Strome in favour of the shiny new toy who's been getting a lot of hype lately. It certainly wasn't a deal that was easy for me to make for just what you said, it would be great to have a Matthews-Strome duo at C. When it came down to it though, I do like the goal scoring upside of Laine and I felt with Bennett & Rask in the system already I could afford to move a C. Plus, it was fun to be able to say I drafted 1, 2 & 3! :handclap:

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Well.

Yeah. That happened.

As Keogh mentioned it will definitely go down as one of the more incredible moments in HFNHL draft history. I hate you for it, but I like your moxie. Why choose between Matthews and Laine, when you can have both ?

I always have a hard time separating NHL value from HFNHL value and I'll echo a little bit of Nick's thoughts. Your package might be better HFNHL value than NHL value. Then again, with the amount of depth you have, and just how good Laine projects to be - you can afford to gamble and it's barely a gamble at that.

I guess we should talk about your other picks as well.

Benson could end up being a great pick. He wasn't as high on my board, mainly because I didn't get to see him as much, but I recognize the reward a pick like that could bring. He might sneak into the first round this Friday

I had Mascherin on my list for #41. NHL level shot. I'd argue that you got the three of the best shots in this draft with Laine, Mascherin and Matthews.

Not a fan of of Fitzpatrick but he has an NHL frame and with Vasilevski, you can afford to be patient.

Mete was a solid pick. I think he will be an NHL player, size being the old thing holding him back from having a good chance at a top four spot. Offensive talent and skating is fantastic and I think some added strength will go a long way to making him more consistent in the defensive zone.

Great draft, you ####.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
The day two recap is going to be much shorter as most of the heavy lifting was done in the top 3 rounds. Heading into the later rounds I initially held four picks but traded the 91st to the Rangers for their 2017 3rd leaving only three. The targets were a couple forwards and a goalie and I landed just that...

Pick 4.108: C - Brandon Gignac, QMJHL 5'11 170lbs

Brandon_Gignac0112.jpg

Gignac was the top player on my draft board so I was happy to get him all the way down at 108. He was highly ranked by Redline at 57 and continued the trend of drafting some small skilled players who were good skaters. Good might not do it justice, Gignac is known as one of the fastest skaters in the QMJHL and uses it to be defenders to the outside. Because of his small frame the risk of him remaining a perimeter player is certainly there. Has good offensive abilities but played mostly in a 3rd line role so didn't get to show it often.

NHL Potential: Speedy 2nd/3rd center

Pick 4.109: C - Hudson Elynuik, WHL 6'5 201lbs

Elynuik_Draft.jpg

Next up on my list was Elynuik, who I figured would be lower ranked on many boards, but was still very happy to get him. He's a giant kid who's skating is slowly starting to catch up to his body. Played a secondary role most the year until Spokane's top line center went down with injury and he showed he had a little offensive upside. Will never be an offensive threat at the NHL level but if his skating improves he has the frame to contribute as a bottom 6 player and imposing presence around the net.

NHL Potential: Bottom 6 center with size

Pick 6.156: G - Dylan Wells, OHL 6'2 182lbs

1297646652414_ORIGINAL.jpg

I wasn't sure I would land one of my targets in goal at this spot but Wells was still on the board. All indications are he had a tough season in the OHL and should have been in contention for a much earlier selection based on expectations. Has the athleticism and flashes all the skills needed to be a good goalie but needs to put it together next year. Both Wells and Fitzpatrick will be long term projects (what goalie isn't though?).

NHL Potential: Long term project

Summary
In total 12 prospects were added to the system, a few more than initially intended. Through a couple trades three more picks were added to 2017 but that falls short of the initial target. With the volume of picks made in the last two drafts hopefully this marks the true turning point of the Lightning franchise.

Broken down by position, a priority was definitely placed on adding more quality forwards, specifically scoring wingers.

C - 4
W - 4
D - 2
G - 2

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
And for future reference, here's how my selections stacked up against the NHL draft:

Player|NHL Team|HFNHL|NHL|Difference
Auston Matthews|Toronto|1|1|0
Patrik Laine|Winnipeg|2|2|0
Jesse Puljujarvi|Edmonton|3|4|-1
Tyler Benson|Edmonton|31|32|-1
Adam Mascherin|Florida|41|38|+3
Filip Hronek|Detroit|51|53|-2
Henrik Borgstrom|Florida|61|23|+38
Evan Fitzpatrick|St Louis|66|59|+7
Victor Mete|Montreal|75|100|-25
Brandon Gignac|New Jersey|108|80|+25
Hudson Elynuik|Carolina|109|74|+35
Dylan Wells|Edmonton|156|123|+33

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Goes without saying that this was a massive draft for you moving forward. This could propel you into playoff contention within 2 years I think (if these players work out, of course).

Perhaps the most underrated part is that you also snagged Henrik Borgstrom which gives you another NHL first rounder. You nabbed 6 of the first 40 players drafted by NHL teams. Not to shabby my friend.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Gignac was within my top ten for rounds 4-7, and at one point considered him as my target at 96. Love the skating ability.

I've already commented on the first three rounds. Won't pad your ego any further. Unbelievable draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad