HFNHL Lightning 2015 Draft & Trade Recap

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Heading into this draft I had a dozen picks with the bulk of them landing in the top 3 rounds. My goal going in was to be active trading up & out, leaving myself in position to draft a few key players I liked, mixed with a few randoms, while setting myself up with something in 2016 as well. I'm quite happy with the result so far so lets see how it all played out...

In the week leading up to the draft I made a few trades to move up. The biggest was Michael Stone & 43 going to Florida for 20 & 112. I wanted that mid/late 1st to give me a chance to get a second pick in the top 10. I also traded a couple 3rds to Ottawa for the 46 pick and moved up from the 4th to 3rd in a deal with Edmonton. Heading into draft day I held 14 total picks with 8 of them falling on Day 1.

After fairly weak attempts to land the #1 or #2 picks, my focus heading into Draft Day was a much discussed deal involving #5 (Hi Tom! :)). My apologies to everyone that attended the draft, but once it got going, the fun really started at Tampa HQ. In total 5 trades were made during the draft, which lead to many delays, including a monster with the Stars for #5.

Pick 1.5: C - Dylan Strome, OHL 6'3 187lbs

B821837725Z.1_20150120224125_000_GHB1DI674.2_Gallery.jpg

Technically selected by the Stars on my behalf, this was a mere formality while we finalized our trade. Once Strome was available at the 5 pick the much discussed trade was submitted for approval. Along with Strome I acquired the 79 pick, the Stars 2016 2nd and a 7th. Heading to Dallas was Tomas Hertl, Eddie Lack, the 20th pick and $1M cash. While it was tough to see Hertl & Lack go, the potential of Strome was too much to pass.

Strome has a very projectable frame that teams covet in their top line C. Not the strongest at this point but that should come as he fills out. His ability with the puck is what will get him drafted high as he's extremely skilled at both setting up his teammates and finishing himself. Skating should improve a little as he adjusts to his size.

NHL Potential: 1st line scoring C

Pick 1.6: D - Ivan Provorov, WHL 6'1 201lbs

10941362.jpg

I bounced back and forth between Provorov and Barzal from the moment the lottery was over. In the end I stuck with what I felt to be the safer pick as Provorov was much more consistently ranked by the different scouting services. He's a high hockey IQ, smooth skating, defensively solid while still being great offensively defenseman. He can do it all. Could make it to the NHL next year but I'm hoping he sticks it out in the WHL.

NHL Potential: Top pairing minute eating D

After my targets at 36 disappeared I traded it along with 72 & 96 for the Wings 1st in 2016 with the hopes of landing a 14-20 pick. I was comfortable making that trade as D was target and there was a glut of them available leading to...

Pick 2.46: D - Jacob Larsson, Swe Jr 6'2 191lbs

larsson.0.0.jpg

Larsson wasn't a specific target at this spot but he was the best left on my board at the time and am happy to have him. He's another good all around defenseman with decent size but will need to add some bulk & strength. Strong skater can move the puck well but isn't super creative. Slightly mixed reviews with some people thinking he could go in the late 1st next week.

NHL Potential: Top 4 play in all situations D

There was a flurry of action leading up to the next pick. I held 65 where he was a potential pick but traded it along with 79 to the hated Flames for their 2016 2nd. Of course the Flames used both 65 & 79 to draft potential targets of mine...thus the hated part (Hi Matthew! :rant:)

Pick 3.69: LW - Erik Foley, USHL 5'11 185lbs

Erik-Foley-640x426.jpg

With 65 gone my next pick was 71. As we hit pick 69 I realized the Coyotes had the 2 picks in front of me and feared Foley would be his target as he was highly ranked in the Black Book (produced in part by said Coyotes GM!). I jumped up to 69 at the cost of a 2016 5th to grab my target, and much to my relief, found out Foley likely would have gone before me if I hadn't.

In Foley I get a player that doesn't possess the highest skill level but makes up for it with his hard work. Not big but strong and plays very aggressive. If he finds a little offensive game he could be a gem but should have a decent shot at a bottom 6 role as one of those players every team needs, someone who will do what it takes to win.

NHL Potential: 3rd line energy player that can score a few

Pick 3.89: C - Julius Nattinen, Fin Jr 6'2 194lbs

NattinenJ011113-5.jpg

After the hated Flames picked one of my two targets at 79 I made another deal with the Stars, trading down from 80 for 89 & 95. Nattinen was my secondary option at 80 so I was pleased to see he was still on the board at 89.

Nattinen is a strong playmaker who's good with the puck on his stick in space or on the PP. Not an explosive skater, he lacks great speed, but is able to control the pace of play. If his skating and strength improve he could make a good complimentary scorer.

NHL Potential: 2nd line offensive C

After starting Day 1 with 8 picks I only ended up making 5. It was mission accomplished however as I was able to get a second pick in the top 10 to draft Strome, draft some of my targets (Provorov, Foley) and added picks in 2016. On top of the remaining picks this year I was able to add another 1st and two 2nds.

To be continued after Day 2...

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
You sure kept me busy on draft day, but you probably don't care because you went home with Strome and Provorov. The former should make a great duo with Bennett, while the latter was my favourite blueliner in the draft.

Larsson's an interesting one. His stock seems to be a bit all over the place, as you say, but seems like a pretty safe bet to be a second rounder. Good value there.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Absolutely great draft - you made some moves that have really improved the high end talent that will be more beneficial in the long run than the above average talent you might have moved (Stone, Hertl) to get the additional high pick. As I mentioned earlier today, I wonder if when I cut to rebuild if I didn't cut hard enough and maybe should have jettisoned some older prospects and finished worse than 5th, 18th and 8th draft picks as I've just had....

Regardless..

I really like the Provorov pick (Strome was a no brainer at 5) - and I am happy because I wanted a forward but would have taken Provorov if he had fallen to add to my thousand defenseman prospects.

If Larsson develops he will be much better than his draft position indicates. Foley is a gem and Nattinen is criminally underrated for his skill level. All three of those picks require patience but have bigger upsides.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Really hard to argue with a draft where you picked up the talent you did at 5th and 6th. Those guys, in most draft years where the Top 2 isn't preordained, are easily guys who could be in the conversation there.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
And here we go with our Day 2 update...

After Day 1 I believe I held 8 Day 2 picks. More trading ensued (Hi DoPP! :handclap:) and when the dust settled I was left with only 4 picks after trading out to 2016.

Pick 4.93: RW - Gabriel Gagne, QMJHL 6'5 185lbs

gagne-640x360.jpg

I really struggled with who to pick here, but at the end of the day, I ended up with Gagne at the top of my Day 2 list and landed him at 93. He's got a massive frame, skates well given his size but battles consistency issues. He doesn't have the same level of offensive production but he's my Mini Mantha of this draft. Does a good job of using his size to protect the puck but needs to get stronger and learn to bring it every shift.

NHL Potential: Long term project 2nd/3rd liner

Pick 5.123: LW - Pius Suter, OHL 5'11 165lbs

Pius-Suter-Guelph-Storm-v-London-Knights-ecfA2KoPW3Hl.jpg

Suter was skipped over in 2014 after his OHL debut where he scored 9 goals. Hopefully after posting 43 goals this year he doesn't slip through the draft again. Small skilled offensive player worked hard to improve and the results show it. He's a strong skater, and despite his small frame, is slippery with the puck and doesn't really shy away from the dirty areas. Unfortunately he signed a pro contract in Europe (would have been good to know before hand...oops) so my fingers are crossed he isn't gone for good.

NHL Potential: 3rd line skilled forward who can contribute offensively

Pick 5.151: D - Colton White, OHL 6'1 185lbs

1297531345697_ORIGINAL.jpg

My annual drafted because of Brock's blog pick. White was not a highly ranked guy for this draft but I'm hoping that was due to a very deep SSM Greyhounds D group. He's a strong skater that's positionally sound and may have some untapped puck moving capabilities. Should get way more opportunity next year so I won't really know what I have until then.

NHL Potential: Depth D

Pick 7.208: D - Dmitry Osipov, WHL 6'4 190lbs

10232964.jpg

Major reach/homer pick here from my home town Vancouver Giants. Osipov was ranked by CSB to start the season but fell off the scouting worlds radar by the end. Was the #1 pick in both the KHL & CHL Import Draft a couple years ago but hasn't lived up to expectations yet. I've been going to Giants games for a couple years now and had to take a shot at him. Great size and very strong he was much improved this year though still battled consistency issues. Projects as more of a defensive player but did see time on the PP this year.

NHL Potential: KHL 2nd pair defensive D

Recap
There were trades. Many many trades. After picking twice in the top 6 I'm optimistic about this being a good draft for the team but not thrilled with how Day 2 played out. Finished up with 5 F and 4 D.

Almost as important as who was picked this year is the ground work put in for next draft. Strong draft or not, heading into it with 2 x 1st, 3 x 2nd, 4 x 3rd and 2 x 4th will mean another chance to build for the future.

Stay tuned for a 5 year draft review and updated top 20 list...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
My "list" for my final four picks was ....6 names long? Gagne was a player that I had toyed with selecting with the first pick of the 4th round before ultimately deciding on Knott. Pius Suter was another player on my list that narrowly avoided becoming a Capital. His going back to Europe wasn't a major concern for me. Great job here as well. Nice use of lower round picks to move into striking distance on some targets you really wanted.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Easily one of my favorite drafts. Given the choice between Provorov and Werenski, I would have chosen Provorov as well. Had Gagne high on my 4th round list, and also had Suter on there.

Well done, Kirk.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Just for future reference when I look back at this thread in a years time...

1st Round - 5th Overall F Dylan Strome - +2 - 3rd Overall - Arizona Coyotes
1st Round - 6th Overall D Ivan Provorov - -1 - 7th Overall - Philadelphia Flyers
2nd Round - 46th Overall D Jacob Larsson - +19 - 27th Overall - Anaheim Ducks
3rd Round - 69th Overall F Erik Foley - -9 - 78th Overall - Winnipeg Jets
3rd Round - 89th Overall F Julius Nattinen - +30 - 59th Overall - Anaheim Ducks
4th Round - 93rd Overall F Gabriel Gagne - +57 - 36th Overall - Ottawa Senators
5th Round - 123rd Overall F Pius Suter - UNDRAFTED
5th Round - 151st Overall D Colton White - +54 - 97th Overall - New Jersey Devils
7th Round - 208th Overall D Dmitry Osipov - UNDRAFTED

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad