HFNHL Flames 2016 Draft Recap

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames traded away their first pick in this draft for Hart Trophy winner Ryan Getzlaf, and mortgaged their second, third, fourth, and fifth in previous years. This left the Flames with only four picks in the 6th round and an additional 7th. The first of those picks was at 168th, and this seemed liked a good draft to miss out on the fun.

But, it’s too much fun to not play a part. So, for several weeks the Flames have been exploring options. Entering the draft, the Flames turned down a couple Martin Marincin offers, because they wanted to use him to get both two 3rd round picks.

As the top ten came, and then went, the Flames started watching for their two favorite players in the first round, German Rubstov and Luke Kulin. The original determination was to not offer up next years first to get into this first round, but I wavered, and suddenly the Flames were making offers to try and snag one of these players (Flames had Rubstov 9th, Kulin 10th on their list.)

Luckily, nothing came of all this nonsense and the Flames went back to just enjoying the show.

As the second round continued, the Flames took up Rich’s offer to land the 65th and 90th pick, in exchange for the 60th pick in 2018 ;) and finally confirmed a deal with Douglas, for Martin Marincin and a ’17 5th, in exchange for those two 3rds, one this year and one next.

With a bevy of picks, the Flames attempted to trade up into the late second round, to grab Janne Kuokkanen, but were unable to do so, even threatening to murder their co-DOPP. That didn't help.

The Flames then immediately set about turning their two ’17 3rds into two more in the 3rd this, to ensure nabbing as many players as possible on their list of 7 potentials in the third round. In the end, the Flames managed to get five picks.

65th Overall - LW/C Dominik Simon, HC Sparta Praha (in his draft year), Wilkes-Barre, AHL

Dominik+Simon+Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+New+York+6OOPiSMwYM-l.jpg

This pick was a slow burn for the Flames. The Czech forward was on their radar early in the 2015 season. In the end, the Flames were very lucky to even land the 21 year old, as Brock almost took him at 64.

A 5th round pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins last season, in his 3rd draft eligible year, the 5’11†forward surprised many with an AHL All Star season and his NHL debut. In 68 games, Simon scored 25 goals and 48 points. A crafty, high IQ forward, Simon has a real desire to fight through every check. Simon will go to the dirty areas of the ice to make a play, and has a high skill level. Still not a complete two-way forward but all the signs are pointing in the right direction.

Also considered: None. Phillipe Myers was the other previously undrafted I would have been interested in.

77th Overall - LW/C Mikhail Maltsev, RUSSIA U-18 Jr, MHL

RUS-Mikhail-Maltsev-01.jpg

Maltsev has a NHL body and a powerful stride, he checks in at 6’3â€, 210lbs. A very strong, mobile skater, Maltsev is everything Russians are usually not - which is mature defensively and strong in the face-off circle (winning 63% of his draws).

He’s a tenacious forechecker. He wants the puck and he’ll do what it takes to get it, whether it’s chasing it down on a dump-in, laying out a hit, lifting a stick, blocking a shot or rubbing a player out on the boards. He’s a real puck hound and he isn’t afraid to shoot once he creates a turnover.

He’s a riser on the CSB lists from mid-season as he surprised with the amount of offense in his game. It’s not a elite set of tools, but he’s a good playmaker with a nose for the net and he battles hard, which could mean an effective 3rd line career if there’s nothing else.

There are some rumours that he might head to the CHL, which could be good for him, I think he could be an even more effective player on the small ice (we saw some of this during the World Junior A challenge.)

Like the rest of the Russians, he missed the WJC U-18’s, which was unfortunate, but also might be the only reason he was available this late.

He feels a bit hidden because he’s playing behind Rubstov (although occasionally he also played on that players wing) and because he’s a late developer. Fits the recent Flamettes draft ethos, which is NHL body, strong skating, hockey IQ, very competitive. Here’s hoping that he is this years AJ Greer, with upside hidden away.

"Fabulous tools and tough as nails. Has some wiggle to his game with soft hands, moves, and lateral jukes" - Redline Report, Ranked 68th.

Also considered: None. This was the target of any pick I acquired in the third.

83rd Overall - W Connor Bunnaman, Kitchener, OHL

466081612-connor-bunnaman-of-the-kitchener-rangers-gettyimages.jpg

Another with the current Flames ethos, NHL body, pro-style game. Not a great skater, which is usually a requirement, but he’s improving. Another player who may have hidden offensive upside, playing on a deep team and as a bottom six player he doesn’t get PP opportunities or a ton of minutes. Regardless of any potential upside, he has all the attributes that could still make him a bottom six NHL player.

A big body, at 6’2†and almost 215lbs, he is a shut-down defensive 3rd line center for the Rangers. Good forechecker, tough, and strong off the boards.

".. he’s not just a grunt. Bunnaman has good hands in close and I like his vision as a playmaker as he'll surprise you with the things he can do coming off the wall" - Brock O, ohlprospects.com.

"Sees the ice well and distributes the puck crisply. Difficult for opposing defence- men to contain working down low in the offensive zone. - Redline Report, Ranked 67.

Also considered: Taking Budik with this pick. With five quality NHL defenseman under 26, I do need to restock that part of the pipeline. In the end, couldn’t resist Bunnaman.

84th Overall - D Vojtech Budik, Prince Albert, WHL

CWEfgvyUwAMQkgp.jpg

I just couldn’t resist his skating, combined with his defensive acumen and a projectable frame. He’s 6’1â€, 190lbs, agile and quick, smooth and fluid. He doesn’t make defensive mistakes, is positionally sound, and displays great gap control. I feel he’s amongst a bevy of underrated defenseman from the WHL this year.

Budik did seem to struggle to adapt to the smaller ice after coming over from the Czech Republic, and while he has no problem with the puck in his own zone, seems to struggle through neutral ice and into the offensive zone, but this seems to be about confidence, not understanding the system and perhaps a lack of coaching, because he shows flashes of ability, and clearly has no problems in possession in his own zone, or stick-handling when required.

He’s a really hard worker on the ice, battles for everything, and has gained the trust of his coaches who put him on the ice when protecting a lead in the dying minutes of a game. Much development needed there, may never be a top 4 guy or a PP player, but in many ways he looks to have some of the key qualities required in a modern NHL defenseman.

Voted the Raiders Most Improved Player.

"Terrific footwork, agility, and defensive awareness. Takes space given to him and turns innocent looking pinches into dangerous ones - puts in second effort to ensure pucks get to teammates in scoring areas." - Redline Report, Ranked 74th

Also considered: There were a few defenseman here, all with similar qualities, but Budik’s skating and maturity in his own zone, in addition with his non shrimpy-ness and combine reports on his frame, made him seem the most likely NHL’er, even if his upside was limited.

90th Overall - W Brandon Hagel, Red Deer, WHL

Red+Deer+Rebels+v+Kelowna+Rockets+X7Wor33Dlvsl.jpg

The more I read about this player, the less I understand his low rankings. He has only one real deficit, which is that he’s grown 6 inches in the last two years, and weighs in at only 165 lbs. But, he started the season at 156lbs. Some kids just take longer to mature.

If he weighed in at 185+, with his style, energy and skating, as well as the growing confidence in his offensive game, I would think that he’d be a lock for a top 90 player in this draft. As it is, this is probably a reach - but with no picks until 168th, this was the time.

One thing in his favour is his age. If he was born just three weeks later, he would be eligible for the 2017 draft. Despite his size, he plays a physical game, and he just needs time to fill out.

In the 2016 regular season, his rookie season in the WHL, he started inconsistently, scoring points in bunches and having long barren stretches. But that all changed mid-February when he found some consistency, and he finished with 11 points in his last 13 games, and scored 10 points in 17 games in the playoffs, showing growth. In the end, he scored 47 points in 72 games during the regular season.

Despite his age, he managed to work his way up to more ice time on a deep team. Does all the little things well, he’s a hard worker with underrated passing and shooting abilities. One of the guides compared his style to Colton Sceviour, a former Flamettes pick, so here’s hoping for some success along those lines.

Meanwhile, Hagel had his success despite having no-good Conner Bleackley as his center. If he survived under those conditions, who knows how good he could be.

"Has natural hockey sense with a knack for winning puck battles… Future puck possession machine." - Redline Report, Ranked 91.

Also considered: Tanner Kaspick. But, Hagel was a player I really wanted, and with no ammo to trade into the 4th or 5th round, this was the time to take him.

WRAP UP

Pretty happy because it was just plain fun. Five more picks to go.

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
As the top ten came, and then went, the Flames started watching for their two favorite players in the first round, German Rubstov and Luke Kulin. The original determination was to not offer up next years first to get into this first round, but I wavered, and suddenly the Flames were making offers to try and snag one of these players (Flames had Rubstov 9th, Kulin 10th on their list.)

The Flames were digging so deep in their scouting efforts they discovered a 1st rounder on nobody else's radar. I'm going to take him 91st.

Meanwhile, Hagel had his success despite having no-good Conner Bleackley as his center. If he survived under those conditions, who knows how good he could be.

I wish I could come up with something to counter this statement but I can't. 1st round pick to unsigned and possibly undrafted. Definitely no-good.

I like the Maltsev and Budik picks where they were from my limited scouting perspective. Maltsev was one of my few Russian loves in this draft so I'm going to have to dig deep to find another to take in rounds 4-7 now. Budik may not have top pair or offensive potential but he seems to have the right tools to be a NHL player, which late in the 3rd, is a big get.

In the end, I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself. Considering what you moved you did well to come up with so many picks. Just have to stay on top of the trade game every summer and you'll be able to keep doing the same.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Day Two

The Flames entered day 2 with 5 late picks, but through a series of trades were able to move up to a single 4th and four 5ths, while keeping only two of the late picks.

The Flames picked at 102, 125 and 127, and were lucky enough that the first three names on their list. Pick 131 went to the 9th player on my list, and the last three picks were my targets all along.

4th Round - 101st Overall - C/LW Tanner Kaspick, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL

2016-04-10-03-59-45-MJ-Bdn-Game2-web.jpg

It was a toss up at pick 90 between Hagel, who is less developed physically, and Kaspick. Happy to get both. Kaspick is 6’1”, 200 lbs, and plays as a checking forward to the dominant Brandon Wheat Kings.

Seems to have some natural skill offensively, but injuries and limited ice time make it hard to tell. Didn’t get any PP time or minutes, but his overall game improved from the checking role. He’s a strong forechecker who uses his size well, has soft hands, and goes to the dirty areas. Hopefully he’ll be a late bloomer.

Winner of the WHL Scholastic Player of the Year.

Strong on his skates for his size… Drives the net with confidence. - Redline Report, Ranked 101.

Also considered: My next two picks, who were the next two on my list, Jordy Stallard and Nicholas Caamano.

5th Round - 125th Overall - C Jordy Stallard, Calgary Hitmen, WHL

464926658-jordy-stallard-of-calgary-hitmen-skates-gettyimages.jpg

Really surprised he dropped to 125th. Ranked 58 by Redline, 65 by Central Scouting, 80 by McKeens, 87 by Future Considerations and 98 by Black Book.

Stallard is older than most of his peers in this draft class, missing the 2015 draft by 3 days. He’s 6’2” and 190lbs, and a former teammate of Tanner Kaspick in Brandon AAA. Big power forward with soft hands who really developed over the past season. More of a playmaker than scorer, uses his body well and is a team oriented player. Another player who is very competitive, another potential late bloomer.

Like Kaspick, has potential as a bottom six forward if he doesn’t put it together offensively.

Can thread the needle on cross-ice saucers or feather short dump passes into the seems. Transitioned… into a more creative, heads-up style. - Redline Report, Ranked 58.

Also considered: Nicholas Caamano.

5th Round - 127th Overall - RW Nicholas Caamano, Flint Firebirds, OHL

18970028-standard.jpg

From one of the oldest, to one of the youngest. Another forward, who at 6’1”, 185lbs, should grow into an NHL frame, as he grew an inch and a half and put on 25lbs between seasons.

A two way player, who is a good skater, with strong acceleration and some shiftiness. Has some creativity and likes to rush the puck, although he tends to be a head down player.

Has seen some major development over the year despite playing for the dumpster firebirds. A sleeper pick.

Has good speed and is able to create space for his linemates by pushing the tempo. But he's also a very effective player in close to the net, where he's not afraid to battle for position and shows good hands in close. - Brock O

Has good tools and frame, so we’ll be surprised if he doesn’t make a major jump next season. - Redline Report, Ranked 118.

Also considered: but would have missed out on… Linus Lindstrom, Brandon Gignac and Matt Filipe. The next player on my list still available was Hugo Danielson, who I got at 131 anyway.

5th Round - 131st Overall - D Hugo Danielsson, Skellefteå, SWE

042516.s.gfh_.sweden%20fin3%20copy.jpg

There was just something about a potential NHL body that can skate, and is aggressive, that portends to possible NHL future, despite his low scoring totals. 6’3”, 185lbs, he will need to fill out and get stronger. Despite his lack of points, all indicators are that he has good puck skills. Love his apparent development, this was the type of player the Flames were looking to add to their stable around this mark. Still raw, with a long way to go, but his hockey IQ seems positive, and he has the tools.

Shows some surprising puck skills - not afraid to handle it and makes fine outlets showing some vision. Has a heavy shot and con- tributes from the blue line on the PP. - Redline Report - Ranked 94

Also considered: a plethora of other defenseman, including David Bernhardt and Brinson Pasinchnuk.

5th Round - 138th Overall - D Markus Nutivaara, Kärpät, FIN

2015_04_25%20Kärpät%20-%20Tappara%20203.jpg

A player I considered drafting at 65 or 77, to be honest, but I figured he was much more likely to slip, given that he’s a ’94 born who’s had an unremarkable career thus far, and only our northern European based GM’s would probably know about him.

But, I read some scouting reports and it seems he’s blossomed, especially with the puck, and you can never have too many John Klingberg’s. He’s certainly not at that level, but there is some real promise for him.

Late bloomer and will still need a lot of development, who knows if he will cope with the smaller ice, especially as he’s not that big (6’0”, 185lbs) but it seemed worth the shot after he really took off offensively this past season.

Drafted by the Blue Jackets in the 7th round last season, he’s just signed an ELC, and will play in North America this season for the first time.

Also considered: None. He was first on the Flamettes list for this pick.

6th Round - 169th Overall - LW Jamie Armstrong, Avon Old Farms School, USHS

AR-151209698.jpg

The Flames return to the well that gave them Alex Killorn, Anders Lee, and Jimmy Vesey. Fingers crossed that the son of St Louis Blues Director of Amateur Scouting Bill Armstrong is just as good. The 17 year old is 6’2”, 190lbs and heading to Northeastern University next season.

He’s a real meat and potatoes kind of a player, who uses his size along the boards to create havoc. A really strong skater, he’s an honest player who’s really committed to becoming a pro. He works out 7 days a week with either Edge Performance Systems or a skills coach. He has interviewed with a dozen teams prior to the draft.

He's strong on the puck and plays a straightforward game by going into the greasy areas and making plays in tight around the net. - Rudke, Redline Report, Ranked 223

6th Round - 177th Overall - LW Brandon Biro, Spruce Grove, AJHL

Dec6_AJHL.png

After drafting Brandon Hagel, I was nosing around twitter to see what people had said, and noticed a scout mentioning that he liked Hagel, but preferred a similar player from Sherwood Park, a Penn State bound forward by the name of Brandon Biro.

Biro wasn’t ranked by CSB, and isn’t mentioned anywhere except his 206th overall ranking by hockeyprospect. At 5’11” and barely 160lbs, this is a kid who will need a lot of time and work to fill out, but he’s a feisty player who has genuine skill, and a scoring touch despite his playmaking skills. He's most noted for his innate hockey IQ. He scored 57 points in 40 games in an injury marred regular season, and bounced back with 20 points in 14 playoff games.

The AJHL rookie of the year from a season ago is supposed to be on the radar of one of the Alberta NHL teams in this upcoming draft.

Dynamic Offensive player, Small but quick, Great vision, Deadly in playoff run, Sleeper pick - Brayden Sullivan - Ranked 138th

OVERALL

A lot of long shots. Surprisingly, the Flames returned to the European well more often than in the last few drafts. The more recent trend has been to pick obscure US based players with the later picks, but there seemed to be fewer that stood out this year. Happy that I got my first 3 picks listed on the 2nd day, as well as my 9th, and that I got the 3 picks I wanted with my last 3 picks. Totally satisfied.

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I quite liked Kaspick as well, and was hoping to nab him, but figured he'd go before my late 4th. Brandon's going to be a good team again next year, and Kaspick should inherit some of the ice-time from guys like Quenneville, so I would fully expect him to double at least his production. One description said he just looks like a player, and I think that speaks to his hands and tools, which hopefully will help him develop into a Quenneville-like player.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
In a year where the Flames did not pick until the 3rd round and with Brandon Biro being the latest Flamettes late rounder to make the show, the Flames now have seven of these picks with NHL appearances, 60% of the draft picks.

While only Brandon Hagel is an impact player, we're pretty happy with how this draft has turned out.

Simon, Maltsev, Bunnaman, Hagel, Biro, Nutivaara, and Caamano all have NHL appearances.

Budik, Kaspik, Armstrong, Danielson, and Stallard are unlikely to make it.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Hagel's had a remarkable development trajectory, and your assessment at the time was spot on. Buffalo, unfortunately but perhaps not surprisingly, didn't foresee things as well.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Hagel's had a remarkable development trajectory, and your assessment at the time was spot on. Buffalo, unfortunately but perhaps not surprisingly, didn't foresee things as well.

Crazy that they didn't sign him! Typical Buffalo? He's just such a fun player to watch.

Good times looking back on these old draft posts. Not sure how you manage to dig up these late round guys all the time.

The only secrets that I know consist of (in order of importance): random internet searching, really enjoying the too many hours of reading draft guides, and in the case of WHL guys in the Calgary days, watching them in person. I do target specific types of guys -- and I'd say what those three or four traits are that I look for but then I'd have too much competition for them.

Sometimes I've targeted things that just haven't worked at all. I went for tall Euro Dmen who could skate well and picked one or two every draft for about 5 years *see Danielson above. I call this the #EkholmSyndrome or #CompleteFailure.

“I call it luck.” - Han Solo

"Once is haappenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." - Bond, James Bond

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad