(HFNHL) Columbus Draft 2013

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The Jackets entered the draft with the 81st and 90th picks on day one, traded Matt Carle to add the 55th, lost the 81st to a cap violation penalty, and promptly traded the 55th and 90th to Calgary in separate deals, leaving the Jackets with exactly zero picks in the first three rounds.

But with seven selections in the next 40 picks (including the 99th overall in exchange for Tomas Vokoun and his $6 million contract), GM Emerson is hoping to have successfully mined the depth of the draft class for some hidden gems.

4/94: Gustav Olofsson, Green Bay
NHL: 2/46 to MIN
Doesn't bring quite as much offensive flair as some of the flashier defencemen who went earlier in the draft, but is a smooth, steady presence whose upside is a top-4 minute eater who contributes a bit but mostly looks after his own end.

4/99: C Avery Peterson - Grand Rapids
NHL: 6/167 to MIN
So raw he has to be considered a reach in the top 100 selections, but the size and upside are intriguing, and with big forwards going ahead of projection throughout the early rounds the Jackets felt it was worth the gamble. Brandon Dubinsky if everything goes well.

4/102: C Greg Chase - Calgary
NHL: 7/188 to EDM
When Redline says a guy is among the most underrated in the draft class, that's code for "might not be drafted at all". Nevertheless, the idea of a hard-working Chris Kelly type was too tempting to pass up.

4/112: C Sean Malone, US NDTP
NHL: 6/159 to BUF
Another hard-working player and one of the best pure skaters in the draft, Malone brings speed and energy to every shift. He projects as a hustling third-liner who contributes to the scoresheet but takes care of his own zone first. John Madden comparisons might sell his offence short, but the Jackets certainly wouldn't object to that kind of development.

4/116: L/RW Evan Allen - US NDTP
NHL: Undrafted
Malone's NDTP teammate brings more creativity and versatility - not top-end skill, but enough to play up and down the lineup on both sides of the puck. Upside is a two-way third liner who sees occasional spot duty in a scoring role. Brooks Laich.

5/124: D Kyle Burroughs - Regina
NHL: 7/196 to NYI
Feisty two-way blueliner showed a lot of growth this season and could blow up next year if he earns top minutes through a full season. Needs to bulk up, and an extra inch or two wouldn't hurt. Reminds us of Brendan Smith in his draft year.

5/129: L/RW Alexander Henriksson - Farjestad
NHL: Undrafted
Big winger's game is uneven, which may explain why scouts are all over the map on him. Some say he has no hands and lacks aggressiveness; some think he's a two-way power winger with good finish in tight. What they agree on: he's big and strong, skates well, contributes to both backcheck and forecheck and will go to the net. Freddy Modin?

7/ 202: LW Saku Maenalanen - Karpat
NHL: 5/125 to NAS
Sleeper has a huge frame but needs to add the muscle to go with it. Great mobility for a big man and has been a consistent scorer at every level, but has kept under the radar. Another power winger project. Redline suggests a David Booth type.

If there's a theme to these picks, we can't see it. Some consider the entry draft a matter of throwing darts at a board: Columbus seems to have used a shotgun instead through the middle rounds. It's not going to rebuild the Jackets' ailing farm system overnight, but perhaps quantity will help make up for quality.

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
If there's a theme to these picks, we can't see it. Some consider the entry draft a matter of throwing darts at a board: Columbus seems to have used a shotgun instead through the middle rounds. It's not going to rebuild the Jackets' ailing farm system overnight, but perhaps quantity will help make up for quality.

Definitely a Red LIne theme, I think.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Definitely a Red LIne theme, I think.

Guilty as charged. I typically compile the rankings of four or five sources and use the aggregate to help shape my strategy; this year I only had three to work with, and of the three I weighted Redline a little more heavily, as is apparent from my results. Kyle I'm sure would be quite impressed with my mid-round haul; other scouts might be significantly less impressed.

I've had good success in the middle rounds using this approach, however, so I feel pretty sanguine about it, even though I know most of these will be drafted - if they are drafted at all - later than I took them, and a couple might not be drafted at all.

I just have to hope to find the next Stepan or Loktionov (my 4th round picks from 2008) rather than, say, just about anybody I drafted in 2009. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad