HFNHL Canucks 2017 Draft Review

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
After another disappointing playoff exit, the Canucks entered the draft with a whack of early picks, including four second rounders, not including a fifth dealt to Vegas for expansion draft protection purposes. Below is a quick rundown of how the organization fared.

1st Round, 23rd overall: Robert Thomas, C - London Knights (OHL)

Playmaking centre with very good hands, balanced bow-legged stride, and a strong two-way reputation. Likely to put up much better numbers next year in London, although overall offensive upside still a matter of speculation. Was the last player in our grouping at this spot, and would have had to trade down if he was gone.

2nd Round, 37th overall: Josh Norris, C - US NTDP

A surprise to be on the board at 37, Norris continues a long trend of the HFNHL Canucks going to the NTDP early in the draft (see Faulk, Miller, Palmieri and others). Norris is similar to Thomas, a well rounded player who profiles as a middle six centre. Questions about consistency and upside hurt his stock earlier in the year, but a strong U18 bumped his stock up, and a dominant combine cemented his status as, we believe, a first round pick.

2nd Round, 41st overall: Conor Timmins, D - Sault St. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

Timmins was not a target at this spot because it was absolutely assumed he would be gone. About the only red flag with Timmins is that he's a late birthday who, had he been born a week earlier, would have probably been a late round pick in 2016. But a massive step forward in development cannot really be viewed as a bad thing, and Timmins brings a solid mix of tools which play up due to work ethic and coachability. Led all CHL d-men in 5-on-5 scoring, and has more than enough skill to be a solid #4/5 right shot d-man.

2nd Round, 45th overall: Henri Jokiharju, D - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

The Canucks don't often go out west, or to Finland, so Jokiharju is an exceptional selection but also an easy one at 45. Another possible first round pick in the NHL, Jokiharju brings more flash and pure skill than Timmins, but in a smaller and less refined package. Adjusted and improved very well over the season in Portland, and has an outside shot at being a very good offensive blueliner in the NHL.

2nd Round, 54th overall: Alex Formenton, W - London Knights (OHL)

The first selection of the day for the club that was not a slam dunk, as two goalies and Morgan Frost went right before. Nonetheless Formenton brings a different dimension than Thomas or Norris, as a black box of tools that may or may not amount to something. Elite skating ability is his calling card for now, and he will have to retain that as he bulks up. A wild card.

3rd Round, 86th overall: Reilly Walsh, D - Chicago Steel (USHL)

Split the season between the USHL and the high school circuit, dominating the later. Similar profile to Jokiharju, maybe even with better skating, but far less experience against quality competition. Plenty of offensive tools, and will head to Harvard to play alongside fellow Canucks prospect John Marino.

4th Round, 116th overall: Jack Badini, C/LW - Chicago Steel (USHL)

Just like Walsh, played with the Chicago Steel of the USHL and off to Harvard next year. Badini is a year older though and played all year in the USHL, standing out especially in the playoffs. Late bloomer who can really score goals, and will take his time developing with the Crimson.

5th Round, 147th overall: Tobias Geisser, D - Zug (NLA)

Converted forward who has plenty of tools but is still figuring out the blueline. Like his raw upside and keen to have a player to follow in Switzerland as well.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Reilly Walsh was a name that I had tossed around at 77th if Reedy hadn't been available. He seems to really be flying under the radar, but his offensive potential from the back end is immense.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Yep, Walsh and Jokiharju were both on my list at those points. Alas, no blueliners for me... While we won't know what they'll look like for another few years, based on my rankings you had a very solid draft.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Additionally, it's wild that you could have 4 first round picks here or potentially just 1. That is the absolute randomness of this draft from about 18 to 50.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Yep, Walsh and Jokiharju were both on my list at those points. Alas, no blueliners for me... While we won't know what they'll look like for another few years, based on my rankings you had a very solid draft.

Reilly Walsh was a name that I had tossed around at 77th if Reedy hadn't been available. He seems to really be flying under the radar, but his offensive potential from the back end is immense.

I find it hard to get a read on the offensive dmen in US high schools, because every year there are several. What I liked about Walsh was the rink rat profile, as well as the destination (Harvard). John Marino, who I drafted a couple years ago, improved considerably in his first season under Ted Donato, so hopefully it works out well for Walsh too.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Looks like a pretty standard draft for the Canucks. Good value at different spots. Hopefully for the rest of us most these guys stink for a change.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Looks like a pretty standard draft for the Canucks. Good value at different spots. Hopefully for the rest of us most these guys stink for a change.

Since he drafted 4 guys who are about to go to NHL teams on FRIDAY night.. I'd say this was an okay draft.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Kershaw was almost correct.

Robert Thomas - St. Louis, 20th: +3
Josh Norris - San Jose, 19th: +18
Conor Timmins - Colorado, 32nd: +9
Henri Jokiharju - Chicago, 29th: +16
Alex Formenton - Ottawa, 47th overall: +7
Reilly Walsh - New Jersey, 81st overall: +5
Jack Badini - Anaheim Ducks, 91st overall: +25
Tobias Geisser - Washington Capitals, 120th overall: +27

So everybody jumped up, but Timmins missed making it four first rounders by one spot. Thomas and Norris landed in good organizations that develop well and should have openings, and Jokiharju to Chicago is great. Would rather Timmins avoid the dumpster fire that is the Avalanche, but at least there'll be opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad