HFNHL Canucks 2011 Draft Restrospective

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
A quick look back at the 2011 draft for the Canucks.

1st round, 21st overall: JT Miller

Third year in a row to go to the US NTDP, after taking Kyle Palmieri and Justin Faulk the two years before, Miller's stock rose sharply leading up to the draft after an exceptional U18 tournament. His draft year until then was a bit underwhelming, but he led the team to Gold with 12 points in 6 games.

Since then, his development was a bit up and down, with a so-so post-draft year in Plymouth of the OHL, and two good but not great WJCs. After three seasons split between the AHL and NHL, he emerged this year as a middle six player, scoring 22 goals and 43 points.

Miller was a relatively easy pick at this spot. I had a couple other guys in mind like Ty Rattie and Zack Phillips, but fortunately had little doubt. I did receive some serious trade offers for the pick, but held on and that's worked out well.

2nd round, 48th overall: Stuart Percy

Another late riser who ended up as an NHL first rounder, Percy was billed as a mobile two-way blueliner with outstanding defensive awareness. A great pick at the time, Percy's development has since then has been uneven, including a concussion in the OHL. Was dealt a few years back for Jason Garrison, and is barely holding onto prospect status on a very deep NHL Maple Leafs team. Lucas Lessio was the other guy I strongly considered here, and they've had relatively similar development arcs.

2nd round, 49th overall: Gregory Hofmann

Strange case here. Hofmann was viewed as a potential dark horse for the late first round, but ended up slipping to the fourth round due to concerns he wasn't that interested in coming over. So far, that has proven true. Although still Carolina's property, contract offers have been exchanged a few times, and he played at last year's development camp, so far Hofmann hasn't come over. He's a very good Swiss League player, an elite skater with lots of flair, I haven't given up on him coming over quite yet. Could probably play in the NHL now. Hofmann was always a target though, in part because I was living in Switzerland at the time.

3rd round, 62nd overall: Matt Nieto

Contrary to late risers like Miller and Percy, Nieto's stock dropped throughout his draft year. He entered the draft as a potential top ten pick, but struggled as a true freshman at Boston University. I selected him because he seemed to put it together in the second half, and it's worked out. He's an NHL player, albeit more of a third liner whose hands haven't yet caught up with his feet. This was an automatic pick, no hesitation.

3rd round, 81st overall: Jeremy Boyce-Rotevall

One of my worst picks in my time as a GM, I was thinking about Vincent Trocheck here but he went at 80. It ended up as a toss-up with William Karlsson, who has obviously turned out to be the better player. Boyce was never drafted and only has one stand-out skill, his skating. Not even in the SHL.

4th round, 96th overall: Johan Sundstrom

Jumped up into the second round and came over to North America after two years, Sundstrom was outstanding in his rookie season, even playing 11 games with the NHL Islanders. But injuries knocked him back and he went back to Sweden this past year, where he was outstanding, even making the World Championships team. Could see him trying again in North America, but I've released him.

4th round, 106th overall: Steven Fogarty

Five years on, Fogarty has only just started his pro career with three games at the end of the season. Played one year in the BCHL and then four with Notre Dame, the last two as Captain. A bit, strong centre, Fogarty doesn't have much offensive upside, but could easily end up as a 3/4 line shutdown centre.

4th round, 113th overall: Ryan Tesink

A role player on a powerhouse Saint John's team, Tesink was a poor man's Cliff Pu at the time, although rumours he could end up as a second rounder were unfounded. Has ended up in the ECHL, as he's not quite big enough to be a grinder, or skilled enough to score. Released.

5th round, 122nd overall: Dillon Simpson

Son of Craig Simpson, Dillon had fast-tracked to play college hockey at 17, and had only had a so-so year. Developed into a good college player, and now a solid AHL player, and could still carve out a career as an NHL role player. A bit of a tweener whose skating has never been great.

7th round, 207th overall: Marcus Sorensen

A re-entry who was a fourth round pick of the NHL Senators, Sorensen was unfortunately released a couple years ago, but has now become a good prospect, and signed with the NHL Sharks this summer. Will be a UDFA target this year.

Overall: Two NHLers, and a few more prospects who developed well, including a couple who still have value. Not quite the successful draft I would have hoped, but could have been a lot worse.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
If I had done the Oilers 5 year review, since that's where I was at the time, Trocheck would have clearly been the highlight of that class for me. Glad to hear I stole him from you just in time! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00