HFNHL 2005 Draft Reviews

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Following on from Sean's suggestion... To start the 2005 HFNHL Draft Review thread....

CALGARY FLAMES

14 1 Luc Bourdon
22 1 Devin Setoguchi
27 1 Radek Smolenak
31 2 Scott Jackson
82 3 Steve Downie
100 4 Andrew Kozek
152 5 Matt Butcher
165 6 Alex Stalock
214 7 Mark Fayne

This was the first draft where I had the Luongo/Kovalchuk compensatory picks.

STATS: 7 of the 9 picks still with the Flames (2 traded)

NHL: 5 of the 9 have played in the NHL. 3 of the remaining 4 are still above average NHL prospects.

1st Round, 14th overall – Luc Bourdon
NHL Draft: 1st round, 10th overall - Vancouver Canucks
NHL GAMES: 36

Bourdon was a Best Player Available pick, who I took not because I was enamoured but because I thought he'd slipped, and I turned him around in a trade (with Derek Morris) for Wolski & Umberger. Sadly his life was taken in a tragic accident. However there is little doubt in my mind that he'd have made a big impact in the NHL. He'd already overcome childhood arthritis and come back from a bad ankle injury to make the opening night roster of the Canucks as a 20 year old.

1st Round, 22nd overall - Devin Setoguchi
NHL Draft: 1st round 8th overall - San Jose Sharks
NHL GAMES: 195

Setoguchi was a guy I wanted to take at 14 but waited and still got him. Had seen him in the WHL and really wanted him. Had a good rookie campaign of 44 games - followed by a 30+ goal season playing with Thornton. Took a step back offensively this season but is a better all around player and is learning how to impose himself physically. Hasn't been consistent in the playoffs this year, but when he's on he is imposing and difficult to play against. Always a threat to score. Should have a long career and will get back to that 30 goal plateau, maybe even more if Pavalski's development is honest or he gets back with Thornton or Heatley.

1st Round, 27th overall - Radek Smolenak
NHL Draft: 3rd Round, 73rd Overall - Tampa Bay
Status: AHL - Minor Leaguer who's had a cup of coffee (potential BUST given his draft position)
NHL GAMES: 7

This pick turned out to be a reach. I thought he'd overcome his shortcomings and that his offensive potential was real. Turns out that's he's made a name for himself as a difficult player to play against, with a lot of jam, and that got him a 6 game call up last season. Was picked up on waivers this season for a game with Chicago. There is an outside chance he'll make it as a 4th liner but his performance during a loan to Abbortsford this season showed a general disinterest. May bolt to Europe.

2nd Round, 31st overall - Scott Jackson
2nd Round, 37th overall - St. Louis
NHL GAMES: 1

I'm still pretty high on Jackson, and his development has been slow but sure, but he'll turn out to be what I expected. Played as an overager in the WHL, then had injuries which limited his rookie season (after St. Louis didn't offer him a contract and he was about to quit hockey, before Tampa stepped in). He really bounced back this year, his second as a pro, and was rewarded with his NHL debut. Using his size better (6'4 - 225). Will get a long look in camp next year.

3rd Round, 82nd overall - Steve Downie
1st Round, 29th overall - Philadelphia
NHL Games: 140

Everyone knew that Downie had the talent, but I'm sure not many thought he'd become what he did this past season. And there is still more to come. He's still maturing and learning. Over the years I've had dozens upon dozens of offers, and some really good ones, but I've always held out hope. Was surprised he dropped this far - though nobody predicted he'd go in the first in the NHL. I bet Philly wishes they'd been more patient.

4th Round, 100th overall - Andrew Kozek
2nd Round, 53rd overall - Atlanta
Status: PROSPECT (Minor Leaguer (potential 3rd/4th line player))
NHL Games: 0

His offence never developed, but he showed as a rookie that he can hold his own despite a difficult first season as a pro this past year. He'll get another two years to see if he can develop into a role player at the NHL level. Probably the least likely to make it to the NHL, but as a 2nd round pick he'll get a real shot in Atlanta.

5th Round, 152nd overall - Matt Butcher
5th Round, 138th overall - Vancouver

Just completed his NCAA career. Had some nasty injuries to overcome but is still considered a prospect. As a Canuck, he was a sweetener in some deal with the man who will take any and all Canucks Prospects, Robb :)

6th Round, 165th overall - Alex Stalock
4th Round, 112th overall - San Jose

Stalock ended his sensational rookie pro season by leading the AHL in wins with 39 (an AHL rookie record), 4 more than the next best goalie. He's developed very well after a great NCAA career which included taking his team past a slew of college powerhouses to the frozen four. If the Sharks dump Nabakov this off-season then Stalock could be an NHL back-up as early as next year. For a team known for developing goaltenders, Stalock continues that tradition. Could end up being the steal of the later rounds of this draft when all is said and done.

7th Round, 214th overall - Mark Fayne
5th Round, 155th overall - New Jersey

Fayne just turned pro after his NCAA college career ended this spring. He's got good size, and showed that he can play on the powerplay, but its doubtful his offensive skills will translate as he steps up the levels. He should still make a solid defenseman down the road however. He just won the "Walter Brown" award for the best American born college hockey player in New England (Chris Drury and Ty Conklin are past winners).

OVERALL REVIEW - A+

Considering that there is still the possibility that every player in this draft could play in the NHL and that 4 of Calgarys top 6 forwards come from assets in this draft - it's safe to say this draft was a huge success who's true potential still hasn't been realized.

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Vancouver Canucks

13 - Carey Price
73 - David Krejci
114 - Kristopher Letang
205 - Derek Joslin

Stats:

3/4 still with the Canucks
4/4 have played in NHL

1st Round - Carey Price (13th overall)
NHL: 5th overall to Montreal

Everybody knows who Carey Price is and what his status is in the NHL. Few things have been more publicized than his battle for playing time in Montreal. Since being drafted, he has dominated every league he's played in other than the NHL, and has shown he's capable of great things at that level too. He's obviously still extremely young, and remains one of the few goalies with franchise potential in the league.

This was a pick where I went strictly for the BPA. I was contemplating Bourdon and McArdle, but Price was the best prospect available, even if I wasn't personally that high on him. Moreover, the pick was questioned at the time because Maxime Ouellet and Ilya Bryzgalov were in the system. While Ouellet busted, Bryzgalov was only dealt once Price made the NHL, so it worked out well. Any time you get a potential franchise player in the teens, you've done well I think.

3rd round - David Krejci (73rd overall)
NHL: 63rd overall to Boston in 2004
Status: Canucks' second line center, cornerstone of the Bruins offence

I really think Krejci is one of the most underrated young players in the game. Last year's 73 points were a surprise, even to me, but he is that talented. He's not just a scorer, he's outstanding defensively (4th in Selke voting last year). This year, he still put up 52 points despite having off-season surgery that kept him out of the start of the year, getting H1N1 before Christmas, and having his triggerman Michael Ryder struggle. After the Olympics he was outstanding, and once he went down in the playoffs to injury, Boston blew the 3-0 lead.

This was as much as any pick I've ever made, a guy I had really scouted in the rink. Because I was recovering from an illness, I was in Ottawa that spring and got the chance to watch the Olympiques. He didn't light it up that year, and he didn't play the flashiest game, but he was the kind of player who you appreciate the more you see him. The only other guys I considered with this pick were Patrick Davis and Letang, but it wasn't close. He's the Canucks second line center of the future, and I think if he stays healthy, he'll have an outstanding career.

4th round - Kris Letang (114th overall)
NHL: 62nd overall to Pittsburgh
Status: Canucks' third pairing blueliner, locked in long-term as top four guy in Pittsburgh

Kris Letang's resume is pretty impressive for an undersized defenceman from Montreal. He captained Canada to WJC gold and was outstanding for the Penguins when they won the Cup last year. He's a top four blueliner who provides offence and physical play, although he's not without his holes defensively at times. Although some think Letang's got the upside to be an all-star, I'm not convinced yet, but if Gonchar leaves next year, he'll have a lot more chance to put up points.

This was the exceptional draft where rounds 4-9 were done after the NHL draft had been completed. Therefore to some extent my snagging of Letang was luck, but I really liked his game at the U18s that year. There were other guys who had been taken higher than him still on the board. I'm interested to see how much potential he really has, but for a fourth round pick, a really nice pick.

7th round - Derek Joslin (205th overall)
NHL: 149th overall to San Jose

Seventh round picks who play in the NHL are not that common, and Joslin still has a chance to become a solid third pairing guy in the future. I think Sharks fans got way too excited about him when he had a strong rookie year in the AHL, but there's enough there that he could stick on a cheap deal and provide a bit of everything. He played 24 games this year, but was leapfrogged by Jason Demers, who is in fact still on the Canucks.

Like Krejci, I saw a lot of Joslin in 2005 because I was in Ottawa. Unlike Krejci, I wasn't particularly high on him as a prospect, but I thought there was enough there that I could see him developing to the point where he had a chance. Unfortunately he was traded to Phoenix a couple years ago in a deal that brought Brad Lukowich to Vancouver, so there was value in this pick.

Overall

For the Canucks, it gets pretty ugly after this. The next two drafts are just depressing really. But I think 2005 is a near perfect draft. Not only has each pick progressed about as well as could be expected, but I'm not sure there are any better players that went immediately behind them. It really was a four-for-four draft. Price, Krejci and Letang are all contributors now and core players going forward, and to snag three of those in a draft is exceptional no matter how many picks you have. To nail every pick is remarkable. Anything Joslin can do in the NHL is just gravy.

Grade: A+

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Florida Panthers

19 - Tuukka Rask
99 - Michael Vernace
108- Jakub Petruzalek
140 - Keith Yandle
143 - Jonathan Sigalet
202 - Andrei Plekhanov
223 - Cal O'Reilly

Not a single player remains on the Panthers, but that doesn't mean some talent wasn't found and utilized.

I turned Tuukka Rask into Shane Doan, who has been the captain and face of my franchise since the end of the rebuild.

I turned Keith Yandle into Ruslan Salei who I got several good years out of on my second and third pairings, again another huge contributor to my turnaround (even if I'd love to have Yandle now).

Andrei Plekhanov was turned into Bryce Salvador who I got a solid year out of and then turned into Spencer Machacek, who's one of the better prospects in my system.

Cal O'Reilly was turned into Eric Belanger, who has anchored my third line for the past two seasons and will continue to do so next year.

While Petruzalek, Vernace, and Sigalet were just plain busts from an organizational stand point.

Overall I'd say the draft turned out to be a B+, even if it doesn't look that way on paper. I was able to turn these players into assets that have greatly benefited my team.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
4th Round, 100th overall - Andrew Kozek
2nd Round, 53rd overall - Atlanta
Status: PROSPECT (Minor Leaguer (potential 3rd/4th line player))

His offence never developed, but he showed as a rookie that he can hold his own despite a difficult first season as a pro this past year. He'll get another two years to see if he can develop into a role player at the NHL level. Probably the least likely to make it to the NHL, but as a 2nd round pick he'll get a real shot in Atlanta.

Fun fact...I sold Andrew cell phones (plural, he went through a few) back in 03-04 while he was playing with the Surrey Eagles. Nice kid. If he's undersized now just imagine how small he was back then.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
NYI 2005 Draft Review

Something I posted awhile back on my 2005 picks

The 2005 Draft season was a strange one with the tons of talent on board and coming out of lock out season where HFNHL league decided to draw lottery on first round picks. The end result was that New York Islanders ended up picking 11th, 25th and 30th. The sad part is that the 30th pick was slotted for 4th overall based on the 2003 standings.

Here is how New York Islanders faired with 2005 draft picks:

11th overall Pick: Alex Bourret – Bust

24th Overall Pick: Matt Lashoff – Traded to Carolina along with Ray Whitney for Kyle Okoposo

29th Overall: Ryan Stoa – The Jury is still out on him as he missed a whole season due to injury – still under prospect list

89th overall: J.P. Paquet – Bust

93rd overall: Marc-Edouard Vlasic - 270 games played for NHL SJ and best pick for Islanders

110th overall: T J Fast – LA 2nd Round – Bust

112th overall: Michael Gergen – Playing in Australia – Bust

127th overall: Richard Clune – Traded to Phoenix - Bust

128th overall: Shea Guthrie – NHL NYI 3rd rd pick – Bust

137th overall: Cody Franson – 16 games played for Nashville – another gem drafted with late rd pick

150th overall: Christofer Lofberg – Bust

158th pick: Chris Butler – 67 games played – fixture in NYI defense for another decade

221st pick: Johan Ryno – Detroits 5th rd pick – jury is still out on him – may make NHL some day as 3rd/4th line player

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Columbus 2005 Draft Review

The second of the draft years that was gutted in my effort to build a winner. It got me to the SCF, but left me with a perilously thin farm system (although not, as the history thread reminds me, as thin as was there when I first took over the team after its expansion season...).

Columbus only made three selections in 2005: I'm on the train, so can't be bothered to look up NHL draft position or games played.

2/47 - LW James Neal
He looked like a bona fide power forward, just the kind of big, tough, skilled winger I like. But his next season in Peterborough was lacklustre, raising further concerns about his skating, so when I was looking to load up on the blueline, he was deemed expendable and shipped off to Florida. For Aaron Ward. (No, that's not a typo, although I wish it was.) :( Neal has blossomed into exactly the kind of players I'd hoped he would when I drafted him, and one of the 10 best out of this draft class. More fool me.
NHL Topline scorer.

5/135. C Chris Vande Velde
A high scorer in the USHL, VandeVelde struggled mightily throughout his NCAA career, prompting him to be packaged off to - you guessed it - Florida. His career has actually taken a turn for the better this season, as he has been useful for the Oilers who acquired his rights for the soon-to-be-reconstoituted farm system. He likely won't ever have more than a cop of coffee in the NHL.
Minor Pro - BUST

6/173 C Nathan Davis
Nate's career took something of an oppostite trajectory to Vande velde's. A two-way star throughout his NCAA career, Davis looked like a younf Chris Drury, and was shortlisted for the Hobey Baker award in his Junior Year. But the cerebral pivot has struggled mightily to adjust to the pros, spending as much time in the ECHL as the AHL. A bust, he will no doubt be cut by Columbus just in time to rediscover his old form and challenge for a spot on the NHL Blackhawks' roster. :shakehead
Minor Pro - BUST

Overall Grade: C
Considering the picks I had to work with, getting Neal should have made this a more uccessful draft - notwithstanding the outcome of the two late selections - but I lost patience. ;cry:

Default101

Phoenix Coyotes 2005 Draft Review

1st Round - 3rd Overall - Anze Kopitar - C - Sodertalje Jrs. (SWE)
GM Says: Well I was dreading this one. Most of us make one or two really bad moves when we started this league. I made two.. a 2nd round pick for a pile of depth players to get my team back to the OV, and trading away Anze Kopitar. The hockey gods have cursed me as I have landed centermen such as Cody Hodgson, and Tyler Ennis, but no one who could suitably replace Kopitar. He's become one of the best young centers in the world. After all the bashing I do on the former Coyotes' GM's drafting, this mistake is clearly on my shoulders. Kopitar is now a #1 center for Buffalo in HFNHL.
NHL GP: 318 - NHL PTS: 285

1st Round - 17th Overall - Jakub Vojta - D - Sparta Jrs. (CZE)
GM Says: Now, onto bashing the old GM's drafting lol. Vojta moved to Ottawa (OHL) following the draft. He spent two seasons where he did a decent job as a two-way defenceman, but never got up to that higher level that was expected for a 1st round pick. Vojta moved back to Czech Rep. and has only played 15 games over the last 2 years in the Czech Extraleague. Vojta can be declared a bust.
NHL GP: 0 - NHL PTS: 0

2nd Round - 44th Overall - Dan Collins - RW - Plymouth (OHL)
GM Says: Collins was a decent prospect out of the OHL, expected to be a two-way forward. Collins spent a few successful years in Plymouth before moving on to Rocherster of the AHL but couldn't quite put it all togehter. Collins has since been released by the Coyotes. Collins is a near point per game player in the ECHL and although he may one day see the NHL. He's considered a bust at this point.

3rd Round - 77th Overall - Patrick Davis - LW - Kitchener (OHL)
GM Says: Davis is another solid two-way player out of the O. He spent most of his career with the Kitchener Rangers, and was a very solid two-way contributor. He had a little bit of adjusting to do in the AHL but was eventually successful and was rewarded with 9 NHL games over the last two years. He looks as if he could be a solid role player eventually at the NHL level. Davis has been traded and now is a prospect in the HFNHL New York Islanders organization.
NHL GP: 9 - NHL PTS: 1

4th Round - 105th Overall - Blair Jones - C - Moose Jaw (WHL)
GM Says: Jones was an excellent pick for a mid 4th round selection, and appears he will soon be ready for full time NHL duty in a depth forward position. Jones upside isn't very high but he looks ready to be a NHL center in a depth role. Jones is a prospect in the HFNHL Anaheim Ducks organization.
NHL GP: 38 - NHL PTS: 3

6th Round - 174th Overall - Mathieu Aubin - C - Lewiston (QMJHL)
GM Says: Aubin showed some promise as a bottom 6 prospeect, but just couldn't translate his play at the pro level. He's a decent ECHL player now but his NHL potential is nearly gone. Aubin is a prospect in the HFNHL Nashville Predators organization.

6th Round - 182nd Overall - Wacey Rabbit - C - Saskatoon (WHL)
GM Says: Rabbit showed some legitimate NHL potential and was a good pick at this point of the draft. He finished his WHL career strong, but couldn't put it all together at the AHL level. Recently he has been successful in the AHL and could eventually find himself in the NHL but his potential at this point is fairly low.

6th Round - 191st Overall - Christian Hanson - C - Tri-City (USHL)
GM Says: Who would have thought Hanson would be such a diamond in the rough. Apparently the former GM of the Coyoyes did. He drafted Hanson despite less than spectacular statistics, combined with a weak playoff. Hanson was very close to being released after only putting up 33 pts. after 3 years and 103 college games. We decided to keep him one last year since we had the space and it was his senior year, and how the gamble payed off. Hanson exploded in his senior year, and the Maple Leafs signed him and promply suggested he was "an extra 1st round pick in the NHL" Hanson has since split his time in the NHL and AHL and can be considered a steal. It's undeterminded if Hanson's size and style will result in him being a 2nd line power forward, or a 3rd line contributor at both ends, but one thing is for sure, Christian Hanson is a steal at 191st Overall. Hanson remains with the Coyotes' organization and has a very good chance at a bottom 6 role in the HFNHL next season.
NHL GP: 36 - NHL PTS: 9

7th Round - 209th Overall - Benn Ferriero - C - Governor Drummer (HS-MA)
GM Says: Ferriero was another steal for the Coyotes' in this draft. Picked around the spot where the draft ends now, Ferriero is expected to be an excellent bottom 6 player. He plays with energy, and has shown in the AHL and NCAA he has some good point production potential as well. Ferriero is another steal for this draft, and is currently a prospect in the HFNHL Florida Panthers system.
NHL GP: 24 - NHL PTS: 5

Overall this is the best draft to date for the Coyotes. Next year will be the last draft that I did not participate in, another top 5 pick, except this one I was smart enough to hold on to. Phoenix has never drafted as high as they did in this draft, although Vojta at 17 was a horrendous pick with guys like Latendresse, Rask, Setoguchi, Cogliano, Pavelc all picked 15 picks after him, and reviewing the 1st round Vojta was miles away the worst guy picked in the 1st round.

The 2005 draft recieves a B- grade. A few early picks were not utilized properly, but a few diamond in the rough picks, plus Kopitar boosts this drafts ranking

Phoenix has actually benefitted greatly from the 2005 draft. Ryan Parent (23rd Overall), Justin Abdelkader (58th Overall), Richard Clune (127th Overall), Keith Yandle (140th Overall), Christian Hanson (191st Overall) are all very important contributors to the future of the Coyotes, despite the fact that only one of them have been drafted by Phoenix.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Flyers 2005 drafting failure

2005 Flyers draft....

16 th overall
Marek Zagrapan.....a bust
Playing in KHL 16 points in 51 games.

33th overall in HFNHL 6th rounder #191 in NHL by Buffalo.
Vyacheslav Buravchilov??? not even a bust..don't know what to say.

69th overall
Michael Sauer brother of KHL'er Kurt Sauer. Alot of injuries for him.

87th overall and 6th round of Detroit in NHL
Juho Mielonen still in Finland.

117th overall
Jonathan Quick
very good pick. He's a #1 goalie in NHL. 39 wins this year , 2,54 gaa, 90.7% save % WOW.

130 th overall
Mark Fraser AHL'er for life.

Default101

2005 Flyers draft....

16 th overall
Marek Zagrapan.....a bust
Playing in KHL 16 points in 51 games.

33th overall in HFNHL 6th rounder #191 in NHL by Buffalo.
Vyacheslav Buravchilov??? not even a bust..don't know what to say.

69th overall
Michael Sauer brother of KHL'er Kurt Sauer. Alot of injuries for him.

87th overall and 6th round of Detroit in NHL
Juho Mielonen still in Finland.

117th overall
Jonathan Quick
very good pick. He's a #1 goalie in NHL. 39 wins this year , 2,54 gaa, 90.7% save % WOW.

130 th overall
Mark Fraser AHL'er for life.

Thats not that much of a failure. Fraser could turn into a decent defenceman. QUick has done very well, Sauer still has a legitimate shot at the NHL. Not great but not a total disaster. The last 2 years combined (2003/2004) i think we got 68NHL games combined between the two years in our draft. THATS a draft failure lol.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Devils ---

3rd round - Joe Finley --
Went first round in NHL draft, but shouldn't have. Big but unskilled, probably an AHLer for life. Not a good sign when, after graduating college, his team decided to move him to forward, then back to D.

6th round - Dylan Hunter --
Scored a lot in juniors...unlikely to ever see NHL.

7th round - Darren Helm --
Steal this late. After two seasons in the minors followed by NHL playoff success, he finally established himself as a full-time NHL player this year.

Grade: B+. Hey, when you don't have any picks in the first two rounds, and only one pick in the first five rounds, ending up with one solid NHL player is pretty good.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
This turned out to be a great draft for the Blues, with 5 current NHLers who have combined for almost NHL 900 games already, and another one that might yet come over from Europe. But the bitter memories of this draft stem from the fact I made a trade in 2003 with the Dallas Stars for their 1st round pick that given the state of their finances, I knew would give me a lottery chance at Sid the Kid a few years later. It was a classic long-term play that worked as I predicted, as the Stars were in fact one of the worst teams at this point (they had to sell off all their best players). However, with the NHL lock-out and no season, we did a full lottery like the NHL, and as luck had it, my two 1st round picks ended up in the latter half of the round. To the draft:

St. Louis Blues
18- Guillaume Latendresse
28 - Brendan Mikkelson
33 - Andrew Cogliano
88- Nate Hagemo
134 - Oskars Bartulis
140 - Frederik Pettersson
150 - Jared Boll
192 - Tommi Leinonen

6/8 still with the Blues
5/8 are NHLers.

1st Round - Guillaume Latendresse (18th overall)
NHL: 2nd round, 45th overall to Montreal
NHL Stats: 287 games-73G-49A-122PTS

Lats went through a classic free-fall in the NHL draft, despite being a consensus top 20 pick in all rankings and mocks. The same fate the likes of Hudler, O'Sullivan and others have had over the years. However, he has emerged as a full-value #1 pick for the Blues, having emerged this year with a change of scenery in Minnesota scoring 25 goals in only 55 games this season for the Wild.

1st round - Brendan Mikkelson (28th overall)
NHL: 31st overall to Anaheim
Status: NHL, although spent some time in the AHL again this year
NHL Stats: 62 games - 0G-4A-4PTS

The Blues entertained offers to trade down, as the value at this stage had plateaud. While Blues managements were not in love with Mikkelsson, we knew his skating, size and composure made him a safe pick. This is exactly what he has turned into, taking his time through injuries to move up the system and become a full-time NHL d-man. His upside is limited, but he could easily be a second pairing - defence-first player for the next decade.

2nd round - Andrew Cogliano (33rd overall)
NHL: 1st round, 25th overall
NHL Stats: 246-46-65-111

The beauty of this pick, is the Blues swapped the 32nd and 134th pick for the 33rd overall, so Claudio could pick Buravchilov, who had a glowing write-up in the THN Draft Issue at the time. Again, the Blues almost traded down again, as Cogliano was a good value pick, but not one the Blues were in love with. Still, he made the NHL much quicker than expected and has turned into a solid scoring winger, despite his slight step backwards this year. His two-way game is emerging as well, so worst case he'll be a great checking winger, even if he never amounts to much more than a solid 20 goal guy.

3rd round - Nate Hagemo (88th overall)
NHL: 2nd round, 58th overall (Carolina)

Hagemo had a tragic shoulder injury the year after being drafted and after numerous attemps to rehabilitate, retired before the age of 20. Was made it tragic, was he then became involved in drugs and got himself in trouble in a number of instances. He briefly attempted a comeback a year or so ago, only to fall into trouble again. He was a tremendous skating blueliner who the Blues really liked.

5th round - Oscars Bartulis (134th overall)
NHL: 3rd round, 91st overall (Philly)
NHL Stats: 53-1-8-9

Bartulis was another Mikkelsson type defender who has no major elite attributes, but who plays a solid, steady game that is sometimes underated (as it was in his draft year). He had made the fast track to the NHL this year and will likely have a long career ahead of him, albeit as a likely 3rd pairing guy (with 2nd pairing upside perhaps). The Blues traded Bartulis this season as part of the deal in landing Christobal Huet. Alvaro, do you want Huet back straight up for Huet? Please? Such is the price of being a contender at the trade deadline.

5th round - Frederk Pettersson (149th overall)
NHL: 5th round, 157 (Calgary)

The Blues loved landing Pettersson and may yet get rewarded. A feisty water bug with a solid shot and good speed, Pettersson came over to NA and played in the WHL for a few years and seemed destined to move up through the Flames organization. However, disenchanted with his icetime at the AHL he took an offer to return home to Sweden and this past season, led Frolunda in scoring. He certainly has the talent to play in the NHL, but whether he will ever accept a two-way deal to come back remains to be seen.

6th round - Jared Boll (150th overall)
NHL: 4th round - 101 (Columbus)
NHL Stats: 218-13-18-31 (555 PIM's)

Boll was a tremendous value pick this late in the draft and has turned into a high-end pugilist given he does score a few goals and is part of solid checking unit who sees more than just spot duty. While slightly undersized for a heavy-weight, he has some level of skill that should lead to him having a lengthy career as a physical depth forward.

6th round - Tommi Leinonen (192nd overall)
NHL: 4th round, 125th (Pitt)
Status: Finnish Elite league, very likely never to play in the NHL

Leinonen had a good package of size and skill, and looked like a very good pick for a few years as he excelled in a leadership roll with the Finnish WJC teams as an 18 and 19 year old. However, while he showed flashes of excellent passing and skill, his defensive game never flourished and his offensive skills weren't quite elite. Of course, more importantly, he never came over to NA and was content to play in the Finnish Elite league, where he continues to play today and will likely "Finnish" his career.

Overall Grade: A-. If a team could get three NHL forwards and two NHL d-men every draft, they would take it every time I suspect. And the Blues may yet get another solid forward prospect come over in Pettersson. What's more, the Hagemo miss is forgiveable given it was a freak injury that derailed his career. That said, there is no bona-fide allstar out of this crew, and while Latendresse might yet continue his emergence to be a true power forward goal scorer, until he actually scores 30-40 goals, I think a A- is fair grade.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
5th round - Oscars Bartulis (134th overall)
NHL: 3rd round, 91st overall (Philly)
NHL Stats: 53-1-8-9

Bartulis was another Mikkelsson type defender who has no major elite attributes, but who plays a solid, steady game that is sometimes underated (as it was in his draft year). He had made the fast track to the NHL this year and will likely have a long career ahead of him, albeit as a likely 3rd pairing guy (with 2nd pairing upside perhaps). The Blues traded Bartulis this season as part of the deal in landing Christobal Huet. Alvaro, do you want Huet back straight up for Huet? Please? Such is the price of being a contender at the trade deadline.

Bartulis he's happy in Philadelphia and Huet like's bars in Chicago. I know Brian Elliot he's asking for you naked in front of my house ...

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
2005 was still years before my time but it appears to have been MUCH better than the 2004 draft even though the top pick was a pretty big miss. We ended up with 2 high impact players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but none of the late round picks appear to have a shot.

1st Round, 15th overall – Kenndal McArdle
NHL Draft: 1st round, 20th overall
NHL GAMES: 22

Was finally given a shot early this season but a shoulder injury set him back and he only ended up playing in 19 games. Will never live up to his draft position but could find a home on a 3rd/4th line. Pending RFA with the Panthers right now.

2nd Round, 46th overall – Paul Stastny
NHL Draft: 2nd round, 44th overall
NHL GAMES: 274

This one turned out to be a great pick, Stastny has 264 career points in 274 games, but is also a very solid 2-way player. Just posted a career high 79 point season, hopefully he can continue to put up the big numbers with some of the Avs young and improving players.

3rd Round, 75th overall – TJ Oshie
NHL Draft: 1st round, 24th overall
NHL GAMES: 133

Another solid pick, in the 3rd round a player like this is a steal. Put up 48 points this year but still shows offensive potential to go along with his gritty 2-way game. Even if his offense doesn't improve he should have a very long and successful career.

4th Round, 107th overall – Cody Bass
NHL Draft: 4th round, 95th overall
NHL GAMES: 33

Didn't get any NHL games last year, he may have been passed on the depth chart by too many players with the Senators, could turn into a career AHLer.

5th Round, 136th overall – Daren Machesney
NHL Draft: 5th round, 143rd overall
NHL GAMES: 0

Was stuck behind Cory Schneider in Manitoba last year and put up some terrible stats. Doesn't appear to have a very good shot at the NHL, very likely a bust.

5th Round, 154th overall – Taylor Dakers
NHL Draft: 5th round, 140th overall

Don't see any stats for him last year on hockeydb, did he call it quits? Go to Europe? Either way, seems unlikely to make it.

6th Round, 172nd overall – Jeff May
NHL Draft: 5th round, 151st overall

Not sure who has his rights in the NHL now or if he has a pro contract, probable career AHLer.

6th Round, 172nd overall – Gennady Churilov
NHL Draft: 7th round, 202nd overall

Never drafted in the NHL, looks to be a career KHLer.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
2005 was still years before my time but it appears to have been MUCH better than the 2004 draft even though the top pick was a pretty big miss. We ended up with 2 high impact players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but none of the late round picks appear to have a shot.
2nd Round, 46th overall – Paul Stastny
NHL Draft: 2nd round, 44th overall
NHL GAMES: 274

This one turned out to be a great pick, Stastny has 264 career points in 274 games, but is also a very solid 2-way player. Just posted a career high 79 point season, hopefully he can continue to put up the big numbers with some of the Avs young and improving players.

3rd Round, 75th overall – TJ Oshie
NHL Draft: 1st round, 24th overall
NHL GAMES: 133

Another solid pick, in the 3rd round a player like this is a steal. Put up 48 points this year but still shows offensive potential to go along with his gritty 2-way game. Even if his offense doesn't improve he should have a very long and successful career.

In any draft what you're really hoping for is to have two players on average who establish careers in the NHL, so to have two such excellent players result is actually better than the expectation, regardless of where in the draft they were picked.

Mr. Gledhill (Jr.) did well for the franchise that day.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
In any draft what you're really hoping for is to have two players on average who establish careers in the NHL, so to have two such excellent players result is actually better than the expectation, regardless of where in the draft they were picked.

Mr. Gledhill (Jr.) did well for the franchise that day.

Andrew always came to the draft with a very general philosophy and a short list of specific names. When a name did make it onto his short list, for better or worse, he usually got that player. In 2004, he was in love with Sami Lepisto. In 2003, it was Dustin Brown and Corey Perry (who, ironically, he now hates!).

In 2005, Andrew had definitely targeted Stastny and Oshie. The McArdle pick was much less a planned one. Andrew wanted to upgrade his grit a bit, and at the position he was drafting in 2005, the McArdle pick was more of a "consensus value" pick.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Colorado Avalanche:
1 - Sidney Crosby
6 - Bobby Ryan
23 - Ryan Parent
26- Brian Lee
32 - Ondrej Pavelec
51 - Juraj Mikus
64 - Kirill Starkov
97 - Mason Raymond
106 - Joe Barnes
120 - Kris Russell
125 - Phil Oreskovic
131 - Mattias Ritola
132 - Vladimir Sobotka
196 - Igor Volkov
197 - Marek Kvapil
198 - Nathan Gerbe

7/16 still with the Avs
11/16 have played in the NHL.

1st Round - Sidney Crosby (1st overall)
NHL: 1st overall to Pittsburgh
NHL Stats: 371 games-183G-323A-506PTS

Not much needs to be said, Stanley cup in both NHL and HFNHL, Olympic gold, Art Ross, Hart, Lester B Pearson, Maurice Richard trophies and making the all star teams/games on a yearly basis.. Sid alone makes this an "A" draft for the Avs.

1st round - Bobby Ryan (6th overall)
NHL: 2nd overall to Anaheim
NHL Stats: 168 games - 71G-60A-131PTS

With the 6th overall pick the Avs had an easy time sitting back picking the forward that went last of the consensus 5 after Sid. 5 years later it looks like the Avs might have picked up the best player out of those 5, but the fans won't be able to enjoy Ryan in an Avalanche jersey. On the way to the Cup GM Isopää traded Ryan to Tampa for superstar Marian Hossa.

1st round - Ryan Parent (23rd overall)
NHL: 1st round, 18th overall
NHL Stats: 102-1-6-7

The first defenseman picked by the Avs in 2005 was a safe, mature, stay at home defenseman who has taken a bit longer to become an NHL regular due to injuries. Just like Bobby Ryan, Parent has been traded. The depth on D prospects made GM Isopää trade Parent for winger Colby Armstrong.

1st round - Brian Lee (26th overall)
NHL: 1st round, 9th overall
NHL Stats: 82-4-13-17

Lee has had a tough time making it as a regular in Ottawa. The skills are there, but at times it has been a high cap hit and last season Erik Karlsson leap-frogged Lee in the Ottawa depth chart. All this played a part in the decision to trade Brian Lee for goalie prospect Thomas McCollum and forward prospect Dana Tyrrell.

2nd round - Ondrej Pavelec (32nd overall)
NHL: 2nd round, 41st overall
NHL Stats: 61gp over 3 seasons.

The Avs needed to add a top goaltending prospect and were happy to see Pavelec available in the early 2nd round. Initially a 1st round pick was planned to be used on Pavelec, but with Lee still available at 26th the Avs took a risk and it paid off. As with the previous 3 picks, Pavelec has been traded since. He went to Montreal in a blockbuster move bringing in key pieces for the Stanley cup team Giguere, Morrow and Filppula.

2nd round - Juraj Mikus (51th overall)
NHL: 4th round, 121

Picking up the highly skilled Juraj Mikus was a gamble by Avs management and so far it has paid off with two MD endorsements. The Avs loved what they saw at the WJC18 in 2005 where Mikus led the tournament in assists. Next season he spent in the QMJHL and led the tournament in goals at the WJC20. In the summer of 2007 Mikus was left unsigned by Montreal due to maxing out on contracts and he returned to Slovakia where he was one of the big stars for 2 years setting a new league record in assists with 59 in 56 games. Mikus had a tough time adjusting to the AHL, but there's still hope for the skilled slovak.

3rd round - Kirill Starkov (64th overall)
NHL: 6th round - 189

Skilled Dane/Russian Starkov was another high risk pick. At first things were going great with a season in the SEL, then a good WHL season, but after that the problems started. Starkov didn't want to return to the WHL as he felt he was ready for the pro game. Columbus management made an example out of him denying him the option of returning to SEL and sent him to both ECHL and CHL along with getting some games in the AHL. Problems continued in 2008 with Starkov starting out in the AHL. After 9 games he left for the KHL and now the SEL. At the time the Avs had two options, and went with Starkov hoping that Krejci would either fall to the 4th round or pick up another 3rd round pick. Looking at it now, getting Krejci would have made this draft even more crazy for Colorado than it already was.

4th round - Mason Raymond (97th overall)
NHL: 2nd round, 51th
NHL stats: 203-45-52-97

One of the fastest skaters in the draft the Avs picked the overager out of AJHL. after two NCAA seasons Raymond made the NHL and has quickly become an important piece of the Canucks offense. Raymond was traded with a 2008 2nd round pick for Michael Rozival and Peter Regin.

4th round - Joe Barnes (106th overall)
NHL: 3rd round, 64th

The big center was comming off a breakthrough season in the WHL and continued with another good one in 05-06. After that the problems started. He was only able to play 33 games over 3 seasons in AHÖ and ECHL before he was forced to retire from professional hockey.

4th round - Kris Russell (120th overall)
NHL: 3rd round, 67th
NHL stats: 203-11-42-53

Russell is a small extremely highly skilled mobile defenseman. Comming off a 61 point season in the WHL Russell would have been considered a safe top 10 pick if he was 6'2 instead of 5'10. Russell didn't care about the lack of size being selected the top defenseman in the WHL two year in a row and even being selected the top defenseman and sportsman in the whole CHL. He also picked up two WJC20 golds leading the defense of Team Canada. Since then Russell has adjusted to the NHL and after the change of coaching in Columbus he was the no.1 defenseman on the team down the stretch playing in all situations. Russell is expected to have a real breakthrough season for Columbus.

4th round - Phil Oreskovic (125th overall)
NHL: 3rd round, 82nd
NHL stats: 10-1-1-2

A big tough stay at home defenseman, Oreskovic was drafted to be a 3rd pair/depth defenseman. Toronto's depth on defense has made Oreskovic spend more time in the AHL than expected, but he should tke the step up at some point. Oreskovic was traded Phoenix for defensive help in 2007.

5th round - Mattias Ritola (131st overall)
NHL: 4th round, 103rd
NHL stats: 7-0-1-1

A skilled forward with good potential. Ritola spent a few seasons in Sweden before moving to Detroit/Grand Rapids. He was recently re-signed by Detroit to a 3-year deal where the 2nd and 3rd year are 1-way deals. Seems like he has impressed the Detroit management and he's just waiting to join his fellow swedes already playing with the Red Wings.

5th round - Vladimir Sobotka (132nd overall)
NHL: 4th round, 106th
NHL stats: 134-6-16-22

A versitile all-around forward with some grit, Sobotka was another good pick in the mid rounds. Sobotka might not have the top potential, but he should be a bottom 6 forward for years to come. Traded to Montreal in the same trade as Pavelec.

7th round - Igor Volkov (196th overall)
NHL: 8th round, 246th in 2003

A long shot to come over, there were rumours that Volkov would sign with the Islanders in 2005. So far he hasn't shown much intrest in comming over and will probably keep playing in KHL for the next 10 years or so. Risky pick, which doesn't seem to have panned out on the NHL level.

7th round - Marek Kvapil (197th overall)
NHL: 6th round, 163rd

Kvapil is a skilled offensive overage forward who was comming off a good OHL rookie season and an impressive WJC20. Late in the draft the Avs took a flyer on him. After 3 seasons in the AHL/ECHL Kvapil returned to the Czech league and has become a star player there making the WC team that is playing for the gold today.

7th round - Nathan Gerbe (198th overall)
NHL: 5th round, 142nd
NHL stats: 20-2-4-6

With the final of the 16 picks the Avs picked up the smallest player in the draft. Gerbe has been a success on every level he has played on so far. This year he had a good chance at sticking in the NHL before he was injured. The Avs expect Gerbe to start the 2010-11 season in Buffalo. As a 7th round pick he's potentially the steal of the draft.

Overall Grade: A++. With 16 picks in the draft it's easy to see that this was an important draft for the Avs. Getting 11 NHL players in one draft makes half a team. A lot of good picks were traded away over the years. The trades gave the Avs a Cup, so this draft couldn't have gone much better. The risky failed picks of Starkov, Volkov, Kvapil and the injuries to Barnes are acceptable with the amount of NHL players the draft produced.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Alvaro, hopefully you take a look at what Ville was able to do in 2004, because that's the potential your Flyers have in this draft to completely re-make your organization.

Needless to say, Ville, an impressive draft!

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Alvaro, hopefully you take a look at what Ville was able to do in 2004, because that's the potential your Flyers have in this draft to completely re-make your organization.

Yes, Ville did a nice job in this draft... It will be hard for me to equal this :amazed:

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007

I got something really sure in Taylor Hall...2 times Memorial cup winner and MVP. Fowler 3th pick but after .....i'm lost...11 and 13 picks... I don't know who to pick... :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad