Prospect Info: HFCF Prospect Poll: #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fair enough. I was just going based on what he said.
I argued I'd rather have Colborne in overtime than Byron, have suggested there isn't really a place for Byron on the team and have joked about him not being able to hit the net, but I have never said he was a scrub. I just feel because of his age and abilities I would rather have guys like Jooris & Shore in the line-up before him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1. A few people think Klimchuk will be better than Poirier, at the very least they are close.
2. I never once called Byron a "useless scrub", I have no problem with Byron on the team, just don't see where he fits. I advise you not to make things up.
3. I never said Ortio should be waived , I said I think he will be and don't believe waiving him is the end of the world or some travesty because I think it is a calculated risk and he would end up clearing.
4. Again never said Raymond should be bought out, said he could be. I have no problem with Raymond being on the team, but just don't see a place for him.
5. Yes, I believe Hiller is a better goaltender than Ramo. I think they are close with Hiller being more consistent.
6. Yes IMO he would be lucky to be a top 15 prospect on my list. I have (in no particular order) Gillies, McDoanld, Ortio, Wotherspoon, Andersson, Kylington, Morrison, Hickey, Bennett, Jankowski, Poirier, Klimchuk, Granlund, Shore, Jooris, Agostino and Arnold all ahead of him.

Perhaps you only take my opinions with a grain of salt because you are too busy manipulating what I say to fit your own narrative.

Ok I don't disagree strongly with any of that, except the Ferland part.

- I think Poirier is clearly better then Klimchuk. To me here's clearly our second most valuable prospect. But it's not a big deal if someone thinks Klimchuk is better, I just worry about his skating a little bit.
-I was under the impression you didn't like Byron, my bad. I don't think he's anything special and he needs to score more but there is definitely room for him on our roster until the young guys prove they can be everyday players.
- I'm in no way a fan of MayRay but I think using a buyout on him would be unwise because we don't really need the cap room the next few years. We need to save them for longer term contracts that will hurt us ex. Frolik if he all of a sudden sucks, or Gio if he signs a monster deal and doesn't perform. I guess I misunderstood your stance on that scenario.
-I can see why some prefer Hiller.
-I also thought you thought Ortio should be put on waivers not Would be put on waivers. My bad
-however I think you are dead wrong about Michael Ferland. And looking at people's rankings I think that generally most people still doubt Ferland. IMO he has extremely high offensive upside. He showed brief flashes of being able to take the puck to the dirty areas. He has a nose for the net and he's not afraid to go to the net. I think he has 40-50 point potential and could be a top six wonder if everything clicks. That's why, to me he's our third or fourth best prospect because I still see that upside. I believe he can become a truly elite power forward in this league. And at worst he's one of the best 4th liners/ goons in the league.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Maybe you ought to have taken it with a grain of salt. ;)

I also disagree with 100TG with regards to Byron, but I wouldn't say he's ever called him a scrub. He just thinks we can do better. I don't personally think that we have anyone who can replace what Byron brings to the team.
I think Jooris is a replacement for Byron though, they play quite similar games and Jooris has the size to go with that style of game. Byron is a better penalty killer and that part of his game is underrated.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My top ten:

1. Bennett
2. Klimchuk
3. Poirier
4. Kylington
5. Jankowski
6. Gillies
7. Arnold
8. Granlund
9. Morrison
10. Sieloff (Tie)
10. Agostino (Tie)

Yes I picked a tie for #10 big whoop wanna fight about it? :fight:

Mine's a little different, but I really like these rankings! :handclap:

1. Bennett
2. Kylington
3. Klimchuk
4. Poirier
5. Gillies
6. Jankowski
7. Andersson
8. Hickey
9. Morrison
10. Shore

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I argued I'd rather have Colborne in overtime than Byron, have suggested there isn't really a place for Byron on the team and have joked about him not being able to hit the net, but I have never said he was a scrub. I just feel because of his age and abilities I would rather have guys like Jooris & Shore in the line-up before him.

I agree with Jooris being ahead of him, but I'm not so sure about Shore.

As for Byron not hitting the net, I'd give him more time. If he can work on his shot/breakaways, he could be a 10-15 goal scorer. His speed and defensive game alone make him worth keeping.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
-however I think you are dead wrong about Michael Ferland. And looking at people's rankings I think that generally most people still doubt Ferland. IMO he has extremely high offensive upside. He showed brief flashes of being able to take the puck to the net. He has a nose for the net and he's not afraid to go to the net. I think he has 40-50 point potential and could be a top six wonder if everything clicks. That's why, to me he's our third or fourth best prospect because I still see that upside. I believe he can become a truly elite power forward in this league. And at worst he's one of the best 4th liners/ goons in the league.
Ferland has shown zero consistency as a professional.
Year 1: Was beyond terrible and got sent to the ECHL where he was a healthy scratch before returning to junior.
Year 2: slow start that saw him pointless in 13, then got hot before getting injured
Year 3: hot start, got called up and then was terrible when he was sent back down. Like REALLY terrible (6 points in 3 months). Then had a strong playoff.

When I have seen his inconsistency at the AHL level, why would I bank on him being better in the NHL? Frankly I wouldn't.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Ferland has shown zero consistency as a professional.
Year 1: Was beyond terrible and got sent to the ECHL where he was a healthy scratch before returning to junior.
Year 2: slow start that saw him pointless in 13, then got hot before getting injured
Year 3: hot start, got called up and then was terrible when he was sent back down. Like REALLY terrible (6 points in 3 months). Then had a strong playoff.

When I have seen his inconsistency at the AHL level, why would I bank on him being better in the NHL? Frankly I wouldn't.

Agreed. Ferlands playoff run kinda reminds me of when Sven was recalled and had a strong few games. I think his playoffs this year really inflated everyone's expectations of him. Personally, I don't think he'll make the Flames this year off the bat. He'll be recalled at some point, but he won't be here on the season opener.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agreed. Ferlands playoff run kinda reminds me of when Sven was recalled and had a strong few games. I think his playoffs this year really inflated everyone's expectations of him. Personally, I don't think he'll make the Flames this year off the bat. He'll be recalled at some point, but he won't be here on the season opener.
I think he makes the team because of the playoffs, but not as more than a 4th liner or 13th/14th forward. But I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to sneak him through on waivers either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ferland was very effective in the Vancouver series. He was perhaps the most impactful player, bar none. However, you really have to acknowledge the fact that his game is really suited to a playoff series. His hits in the first game changed the way the second game was played, and so on. By the time they got to Calgary, the Canucks' D weren't able to properly focus on moving the puck, and coughed the puck up over and over again as a result. And of course, Ferland fed off that and victimized them even more.

In the regular season, he can throw plenty of hits in his 15 minutes of ice-time, and maybe make a difference by the third period... but next game he's starting from scratch again. His best chance to make a difference will be the same as anyone else, which is by his play with the puck and helping the team generate chances. I'm not sure whether that will be as easy without that game-to-game intimidation factor.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Limiting Ferland's potential due to his inconsistencies as a pro is a shortsighted thing to do in my opinion due to his past. He has just 90 games of pro experience under his belt and has overcome some serious personal issues over the past two years (drinking issues, conditioning issues, legal issues). He has the physical tools to become a legitimate impact player on this roster given his size, strength, shot, nastiness and skating ability. He has shown a great deal of maturity and personal growth recently and with that has come a much better hockey player. I would not bet against him at this point.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Players like Ferland are rarely if ever consistent. The number one complaint about Lucic, who's probably the premier power forward in the league at the moment, is consistency; he'll dominate and completely take over a game but then disappear for the next five. Just the nature of the playing style; very hard to keep that kind of energy up in an 82 game season.

Ferland seems to feed on emotion. I can see him having a relatively quiet regular season, playing maybe two out of every three games. But if the Flames make the playoffs, he's invaluable and becomes a mainstay.

But it's also entirely possible Hartley puts him alongside Bennett on the third line, so it's still way too soon to rule out top nine potential with him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Players like Ferland are rarely if ever consistent. The number one complaint about Lucic, who's probably the premier power forward in the league at the moment, is consistency; he'll dominate and completely take over a game but then disappear for the next five.

Ferland seems to feed on emotion. I can see him having a relatively quiet regular season, playing maybe two out of every three games. But if the Flames make the playoffs, he's invaluable and becomes a mainstay.

But it's also entirely possible Hartley puts him alongside Bennett on the third line, so it's still way too soon to rule out top nine potential with him.

I'm not ruling out top 9 potential. I just doubt he ever becomes a top 6 guy.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm not ruling out top 9 potential. I just doubt he ever becomes a top 6 guy.

I can see a complementary top-six piece. Not a fixture and won't carry a line (not that wingers ever should), but might be a good fit alongside a Bennett-Klimchuk line, bringing size, physicality, truculence, etc. Basically not a true top sixer, but still someone with the ability to keep up with more skilled linemates while bringing an element the other two don't.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I can see a complementary top-six piece. Not a fixture and won't carry a line (not that wingers ever should), but might be a good fit alongside a Bennett-Klimchuk line, bringing size, physicality, truculence, etc. Basically not a true top sixer, but still someone with the ability to keep up with more skilled linemates while bringing an element the other two don't.

I agree Calculon, not saying that's what is going to happen but that's it's possible. Ferland is a late bloomer and still largely developing, he's a good skater and has an excellent shot, his ceiling is unknown but as of now I'd say it's most likely he's a third line winger, like a more physical Jones.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't have Kylington in my top 5, maybe top 10 (right now). Just unsure if he has the right attitude to be that number 1 dman some people say he could end up being, but if I have to trust any system to develop him it would be ours. Hopefully a good development year for him would put him easily in my top 5 next year, or possibly number 1 assuming Bennett is no longer a prospect.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Id pick Gillies and Poirier with keeping potential and NHL likely hood in mind. Andersson would be my top D prospect. Love his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad