HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #6 (closed)

• C.Gauthier - C/LW

• Jack Quinn - W

• Kent Johnson - C

• Logan Cooley - C

• Lukas Reichel - LW

• Brandt Clarke - D

• Wyatt Johnston - C

• William Eklund - LW

• Brennan Othmann - LW

• Dylan Guenther - RW

• David Jiricek - D

• Alexander Holtz - RW

• Marco Rossi - C

• Shane Wright - C

• Simon Nemec - D

• Cole Perfetti - C/LW

• Simon Edvinsson - D

• Mason McTavish - C

• Matthew Savoie - C

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Owen Power - D:sabres2. Matty Beniers - C:seattle3. Jake Sanderson - D:sens
4. Luke Hughes - D:devils5. Juraj Slafkovsky - LW:habs6.

To add:
Dylan Holloway - C
Alex Turcotte - C
Bobby Brink - RW
Joakim Kemell - RW
Frank Nazar - C
Marco Kasper - C
Jakob Pelletier - LW
Matt Coronato - RW
Logan Stankoven - C
Hendrix Lapierre - C
Nick Robertson - LW
Zachary Bolduc - C
Ridly Greig - C
Vinne Heinola - D
Maverick Bourque - C
Nikita Chibrikov - RW
Chaz Lucius - C
Sakir Mukhamadullin - D
Luke Evangelista - RW
Olen Zellweger - D
Thomas Bordeleau - C
Shane Pinto - C
Fedor Svechkov - C
Jacob Perrault - RW
John Peterka - LW
Brendan Brisson - C
Topi Niemela - D
Kaiden Guhle - D
Jonatan Berggren - RW
Aatu Raty - C

Past lists:
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 2021)
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (winter 2020-21)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (summer 2019)
Top 50 Drafted Prospects 2018: #46 - #50 (summer 2018)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects #50 FINAL (summer 2017)

Last edited:

J15

Mar 18, 2009
People are really sleeping on Edvinsson, which I guess isn't surprising since he played in a pro league in Europe . He probably had the best D+1 season of his draft class, not just in terms of his production but more importantly in terms of the concerns he put to rest. IMO him and Power are a coin toss to go 1OA in a redraft.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Wings fan who would have voted Wright if his brain registered that he was still available on this list . I see edvinsson as too much of a high floor-moderate ceiling guy. I have a hard time ever seeing ed being a regular PP1 contributor, which is a critical component of being an elite dman

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Delusion has Edvinsson rated higher than basically a sure-fire top 2C in Wright. Holy HF really loves their "ceiling/potential" guys.

80% of these Boards voted Wright over Slaf a few weeks ago but because he gets drafted higher he's now the better rated prospect with zero games played in between? Lmao.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Wings fan who would have voted Wright if his brain registered that he was still available on this list . I see edvinsson as too much of a high floor-moderate ceiling guy. I have a hard time ever seeing ed being a regular PP1 contributor, which is a critical component of being an elite dman
Its okay you can homer vote Edvinsson. His ceiling isnt any lower than Sanderson.

Reactions: Preposterone

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Delusion has Edvinsson rated higher than basically a sure-fire top 2C in Wright. Holy HF really loves their "ceiling/potential" guys.

80% of these Boards voted Wright over Slaf a few weeks ago but because he gets drafted higher he's now the better rated prospect with zero games played in between? Lmao.

I have Edvinsson over Wright not just on high end outcomes but on middle and low ones too. Edvinsson is fixing every hole people thought he had in his game and Wright has barely a changed a thing in his game. Some of us don't think of him as an exceptionally safe prospect.

It's not just that Slafkovsky got drafted ahead of Wright - the majority of scouts said they preferred Slafkovsky and it took a while for that to sink in around here.

Also - if actual draft placement and what actual scouts say is not pertinent information here, then what is? TSN puff pieces on Captain Canada? What other information do you have? The people actually watching junior games were the ones already relatively lower on Wright, so you can't say "just watch".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A lot of folks that were skeptical on Edvinsson in his draft year have been won over by how much progress he has made.

I like his game more than Power's.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have Edvinsson over Wright not just on high end outcomes but on middle and low ones too. Edvinsson is fixing every hole people thought he had in his game and Wright has barely a changed a thing in his game. Some of us don't think of him as an exceptionally safe prospect.

It's not just that Slafkovsky got drafted ahead of Wright - the majority of scouts said they preferred Slafkovsky and it took a while for that to sink in around here.

Also - if actual draft placement and what actual scouts say is not pertinent information here, then what is? TSN puff pieces on Captain Canada? What other information do you have? The people actually watching junior games were the ones already relatively lower on Wright, so you can't say "just watch".
I watched Wrights whole career.

1. The intensity comments are 100% true.
2. Hes still a near generational talent.

Its clear as day that its a kid that thought he had it in the bag so he decided to take things a bit easy. What happened? f***ing 1.65 ppg or wtv. No one on this list has that talent.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched Wrights whole career.

1. The intensity comments are 100% true.
2. Hes still a near generational talent.

Its clear as day that its a kid that thought he had it in the bag so he decided to take things a bit easy. What happened? f***ing 1.65 ppg or wtv. No one on this list has that talent.

I'm not worried about his ability to score points in the OHL. He did plenty of that. I just think his compete level vs kids is going to make him useless vs NHLers. And I don't know what's missing there. Maybe he was just bored? Why? I would work my ass off in the OHL playoffs, I don't get it. Maybe he has a strength and conditioning issue? I don't know but I'm skeptical that there is just a switch that is going to happen when he goes to the NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not worried about his ability to score points in the OHL. He did plenty of that. I just think his compete level vs kids is going to make him useless vs NHLers. And I don't know what's missing there. Maybe he was just bored? Why? I would work my ass off in the OHL playoffs, I don't get it. Maybe he has a strength and conditioning issue? I don't know but I'm skeptical that there is just a switch that is going to happen when he goes to the NHL.
If you watched him as a 15 yo and 16 yo (u18), you know damn well this isnt fully unleashed Wright we saw this year. I don't know, did he not want to risk injury? Did he just struggle cause of COVID? (Worst year in history for the OHL draft eligibles). Caputis system? Early in the year he said he wanted to become good at the defensive side of the game.

I dont know. I just know he's talented. A talent that doesnt come around often. Certainly rarer than Slaf, Edvinsson and Sanderdon.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you watched him as a 15 yo and 16 yo (u18), you know damn well this isnt fully unleashed Wright we saw this year. I don't know, did he not want to risk injury? Did he just struggle cause of COVID? (Worst year in history for the OHL draft eligibles). Caputis system? Early in the year he said he wanted to become good at the defensive side of the game.

I dont know. I just know he's talented. A talent that doesnt come around often. Certainly rarer than Slaf, Edvinsson and Sanderdon.

Sure, but not knowing what that issue is would scare the crap out of me if my team just drafted him.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Edvinsson is severly underrated in this list. Not only does he have an exceptionally high ceiling, but his low end outcomes have shown to be much higher than previously thought. He's right there with Power and Sanderson for me, given the season he had against a much higher level of competition. He was a 1D on Frolunda as a teenager FWIW.

Wright, in turn, is being overrated off of his exceptional status. He's still very good, but I don't see a potential top 10 C unless his defensive game really, really translates. He just isn't as dynamic as he used to be relative to his peers, which happens from time to time in development.

Edvinsson
Wright
Eklund
McTavish

Reactions: Devs3cups

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Asking for clarification: Will any 2023 prospects (specifically Bedard and Michkov) be included in this ranking?

I think Edvinsson, McTavish, Johnson, Quinn, Wright and Cooley are my top options at this point.

Reactions: Buck Naked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad