HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #25 (closed)

• Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW

• Kaiden Guhle - D

• Jakob Pelletier - LW

• Jonatan Berggren - RW

• Philip Broberg - D

• Maverick Bourque - C

• Frank Nazar - C

• Matthew Knies - LW

• Brennan Othmann - LW

• Joakim Kemell - RW

• Olen Zellweger - D

• Logan Stankoven - C

• Victor Soderstrom - D

• Vitali Kravtsov - RW

• Dylan Holloway - C

• Denton Mateychuk - D

• Marco Kasper - C

• Shane Pinto - C

• Aatu Raty - C

• Ville Heinola - D

• Matt Coronato - LW

• other

• Pavel Mintyukov - D

Results are only viewable after voting.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Taking Savoie over Kasper is the exact sort of thing HFers would do but NHL teams would not.

This claim is a classic HF post

Damn the Sabres got 4 in the top 25.

Don't think they had that many in 2015-2019 period

Some of those names should surely be core level players (Powers for certain, than I think quinn/Savoie one is a core piece and the other a good compliementary one)

We're pretty high on Peterka too (and others) after the season and playoffs he just had.

The talent level between the team and prospect pool is light-years ahead of anything we had during the Eichel era.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Taking Savoie over Kasper is the exact sort of thing HFers would do but NHL teams would not. Bob's poll would suggest it is at least close but even his poll tends to overrate small wingers relative to where they go on draft day.
taking the avg ranking of the following lists:

Bob McKenzie (TSN, ranked 90)
Craig Button (TSN, ranked 96)
HockeyProspect (ranked 112 skaters)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic, ranked 131)
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic, ranked 100)
Future Considerations (ranked 300)
Chris Peters (Daily Faceoff, ranked 100)
EliteProspects.com (ranked 121)
Will Scouch (ranked 92)
Smaht Scouting (ranked 128)
Recruit Scouting (ranked 224)
McKeensHockey.com (ranked 224)
The Hockey News (Ryan Kennedy’s online rankings, ranked 120)
Draft Prospects (ranked 240)
Dobber Prospects (ranked 100)

Savoie is ranked 7th
Kasper 15th

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
taking the avg ranking of the following lists:

Bob McKenzie (TSN, ranked 90)
Craig Button (TSN, ranked 96)
HockeyProspect (ranked 112 skaters)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic, ranked 131)
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic, ranked 100)
Future Considerations (ranked 300)
Chris Peters (Daily Faceoff, ranked 100)
EliteProspects.com (ranked 121)
Will Scouch (ranked 92)
Smaht Scouting (ranked 128)
Recruit Scouting (ranked 224)
McKeensHockey.com (ranked 224)
The Hockey News (Ryan Kennedy’s online rankings, ranked 120)
Draft Prospects (ranked 240)
Dobber Prospects (ranked 100)

Savoie is ranked 7th
Kasper 15th

Yes and I would have told you months ago that Kasper was going to get drafted ahead of Savoie. The public lists have a certain lean relative to how NHL teams pick them, we should all know how that goes by now.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Zellweger 78P 55GP WHL, age 18 (5'9 Dman)

Personally, I think Zellweger will have to prove me wrong and be successful in a professional league for me to consider him ahead of prospects like Guhle or Mintyukov. I don't know many 5' 9" defencemen who are effective in today's NHL.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Yes and I would have told you months ago that Kasper was going to get drafted ahead of Savoie. The public lists have a certain lean relative to how NHL teams pick them, we should all know how that goes by now.
these are still 15 lists, not just a few.... I mean, it wouldnt exactly be a total shock to see Savoie be the better player in the end.

We can certainly find dozens of examples where the GMs were wrong and the "lists" were right.... eg. Zegras was ranked 5th, and he went 9th. Caufield another. etc etc

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The Sabres under Adams have put an absolute premium on high end skill with their picks. I don’t believe for a second they valued Kasper’s much lower skill level over Savoie. Even if his mommy were to come out and tell you too. They were trying to trade for 7 with 16 because that was a good value to take Murray’s contract. The idea anyone knows how their board was ranked is hilarious since no one can get one accurate whisper out of the organization about anything. But yeah…kasper’s dad saw the big board for sure!

And if you’re mad about Savoie being taken first in this poll…you should write angry letters to *clears throat* elite prospects, ISS, FChockey, McKeens, Central Scouting and McKenzie’s scout poll for doing it to.

Guess they didn’t watch Kasper games either.

Enjoy your third line player.

Lol, even on Mckenzies list Kaspers highest ranking was 5 while Savoie was 6 so lets not pretend there was some huge gap between the 2 of them, they were ranked side by side while one was a late riser. What we do know for sure, is that Yzerman liked Kasper more and Yzerman has been the best drafting GM the last ~8 years. We also have a really good source saying Buffalo didnt want Savoie over Kasper. We also know Kasper was in the discussion for 2nd overall.

So maybe youre underrating Kaspers skill level if Buffalo loves skill so much and still wanted Kasper over a 5'9 winger. "Enjoy your third line player".... Lol really sounds like something that woulda been said about Seider post draft too.

Not to mention that Kasper was a late riser. Public lists are always slow on these guys and they get hyped a little less because most dont want to go out on a limb with someone. Savoie has been a known commodity for years, Kasper not nearly as big of a name and I'm sure some of these rankings barely had time to take his worlds into account where he played some of his best hockey.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
these are still 15 lists, not just a few.... I mean, it wouldnt exactly be a total shock to see Savoie be the better player in the end.

We can certainly find dozens of examples where the GMs were wrong and the "lists" were right.... eg. Zegras was ranked 5th, and he went 9th. Caufield another. etc etc

Yeah I'm all for people coming to their own conclusions, that's all I do. I wouldn't rely on draft position or average draft ranking. Especially not with late risers like Kasper or McTavish, the early final public lists tend to not pick up on players like that.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Yeah I'm all for people coming to their own conclusions, that's all I do. I wouldn't rely on draft position or average draft ranking. Especially not with late risers like Kasper or McTavish, the early final public lists tend to not pick up on players like that.
Fair enough......doesn't always work out, though, like Kotkaniemi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad